WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current model of basic fifty fathoms is from 2007, height of the big dinner plate watch craze. Thus the case size is 45mm vs the original of 42? Or 40?

Now that the trend is going back to 40mm smaller size and Blancpain knows that. But instead of updating basic model to smaller size, they release 40mm only with special editions like mil spec and ocean commitment which no one can get a hold of. They’re sold out in 5 minutes despite 17k price tag.

My vote is stop playing games and release what the people want... a 40mm still sport watch aka 40mm fifty fathoms. And do this while the market is hot.

Oh wait too late, we now have Coronavirus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well...i do agree with u but i also disagree. I agree that 40mm is defin. back. Gone are the days of 45mm blinged out hublots.

But i think bp ff being 45mm is perfectly fine. To be more specific, I have an omega dsotm and its 44mm. My wrist is super dainty but it doesnt wear too big. Last time i tried on the bp ff, it was a good fit. Imo, the dark bezel makes it seem smaller than it is. I love the new 2020 blue rose gold version btw.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I asked a Blancpain boutique something similar: do people ask for a smaller fifty fathoms? And their response is no, people walking in have not asked for a size reduction on the classic model (although I've listened to people complain about 45mm for the FF in real life), and that whoever tries it on doesn't notice the actual dimensions on the wrist. I'm inclined to believe them somewhat but I imagine it could be a set standard company response as well.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I asked a Blancpain boutique something similar: do people ask for a smaller fifty fathoms? And their response is no, people walking in have not asked for a size reduction on the classic model (although I've listened to people complain about 45mm for the FF in real life), and that whoever tries it on doesn't notice the actual dimensions on the wrist. I'm inclined to believe them somewhat but I imagine it could be a set standard company response as well.
Their fan base might just be happy, but will probably acquire few new fans. I am also on the fence with the 45 mm, but my attitude might change if they ever release a 40 mm that is widely available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The 43 mm Bathyscaphe comes in black, dark grey, and blue. The 38 mm Bathyscaphe comes in black, blue, and white. Not to mention the Barakuda, Automatique (Cal. 1151), Ocean Commitment III, and limited editions. There's an entire line-up of watches for people who prefer case diameters < 45 mm.

Blancpain is, I think, better than most at providing a diverse array of sizes.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
FWIW, here in Switzerland the LE 40mm Fifty Fathoms were all readily available months after their initial release. If you ever pass through Zurich airport, I was able to try on both the Baracuda and the Mil Spec there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s good to know regarding Zurich. I have the 38mm bathyscape and it wears big because the lungs are very straight. For my 7in wrist, that’s size is as good as 40mm.

Maybe not even 40mm, I do hope we see original ff size either 40 or 42.

·
Premium Member
12,932 Posts
I would rather get a vintage fifty fathoms than a modern one

Reactions: fish70

·
Premium Member
12,932 Posts
Is there a particular reason why you prefer the vintage?
Might adopt it too.

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
The Anton Shild movement in the vintage is much more robust than the Frederic Piguet based movement 13r0 found in the modern one.

Reactions: fish70

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well that confirms it, really tiny looking. That dial must be under 30mm.

What, you think Blancpain would have kept the same Bezel size on the 40mm ? The 40mm has a 30mm dial, the 45mm a 32mm dial, so the bezel has been reduced appropriately to match the overall dimensions. But why let facts get in the way of BS to suit your own agenda.:roll:

Reactions: JCB43

·
Registered
585 Posts
What, you think Blancpain would have kept the same Bezel size on the 40mm ? The 40mm has a 30mm dial, the 45mm a 32mm dial, so the bezel has been reduced appropriately to match the overall dimensions. But why let facts get in the way of BS to suit your own agenda.:roll:
Since you have the 3 different sizes of Fifty fathoms according to your signature, can you share your thoughts on the wearability between the 3?
How does the ceramic bathyscaphe compares to the OC 3 in terms of size and feeling on the wrist? And what about the 5015?
I'm really curious as I have only been able to try on the bathyscaphe 43 and 38 mm models (base and chrono for the 43, steel and ceramic).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts