WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the chance to go shopping with a friend and we both took a look at the AP's Offshore Royal Oak Chrono's, they look fantastic but the fit/finish wasn't anything spectacular.. I have to admit that store did not have the proper etiquette in presenting the watches to me and one of them had the bracelet links scratched noticeably, when I pointed it out to the employee, they didn't blink or offer a replacement bracelet, just said that it would eventually be scratched anyways so that's how it comes. That disappointed me.

Anyways.. I almost bought one just because of the price they were offering my friend and I but in the end- I held out. Not really impressed other than their prestigious name and the glorious movements and definitely their history of watchmaking is incredible. But just.. don't know, I have had Corum's that were more amazing at a fraction of the cost.. I will get people hating me I'm sure but I thought I'd share that I'm probably one of the few that AP has not truly made an impression on.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have to admit, but yesterday, when I tried one on for the first time, I was incredibly impressed at the level of finish. I actually really liked the royal oak offshore forged carbon; it was so light and comfortable.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This one? Haha it's the exact one I tried on..

I have to admit, but yesterday, when I tried one on for the first time, I was incredibly impressed at the level of finish. I actually really liked the royal oak offshore forged carbon; it was so light and comfortable.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
No blasphemy, just personal subjective taste. I do not care for any ROO and would never buy one but the RO 15202 that I have is the cat's meow. I suspect you would not be the only one that passes on AP, irrespective of history and movement quality/beauty. After all, if you can't stand to look at it on your wrist why would any of those other factors matter. I feel the same way about a lot of the complicated offerings from Lange, Patek, GO, etc, etc and so forth, would never pay for any of 'em . . .

Reactions: Quotron

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
I can understand not being thrilled with the ROO; however, that's just one watch line, and to not be thrilled with AP as a maker is a bit of heavy "penalty" to foist upon a company over just one line. Indeed, although the Royal Oak line in general has gained AP notoriety outside of the traditional "jet set" and royalty, one should keep in mind that AP were selling watches long before the 1970s when the RO line came to be.

The 1970s ushered in a trend that continues today whereby people of all social and economic classes generally dress more casually than in the century before. AP offered the RO and ROO is just the more rugged version. I share your dislike for the look of most ROO models; however, there are a few that aren't bad and that I could imagine myself wearing.

Royal Oak Offshore Selfwinding

This ROO Chronograh isn't exactly my ideal face design for I don't care for lopped off numbers. Better in my mind that they be baton markers instead and were they, I'd be fine with the non-gem encrusted models of ROO Chronographs that are 42mm or smaller. As you can see, AP went with markers on the gem studded version of the ROOC. So, if you are good with PhotoShop or your imagination, picture a "normal" ROOC with baton markers, and perhaps you'll find the watch more acceptable. Of course, neither our imaginations or PhotoShop will make a watch exist. LOL

Actually, I don't mind the one with all the diamonds at all. In fact, I rather like it as I think its dial is leaps and bounds better looking than the standard ROOC's and the chrono sub-dials are subdued. I just know damn well I'm not going to spend that kind of money. LOL The standard ROOC pictured next to it is tolerable because the black and grey color scheme helps hide the fact that I'm looking at lopped off numbers.

Here's a few more ROOCs that work for me, although each of them has at least one attribute for which I don't care.

ROOC Arnold Schwarzenegger - I can't really explain why this model works for me, but it does. I'm guessing it's because it has those two structures on the left side of the case to counterbalance the pusher assembly on the right. It's the only "jumpo" ROO that I think decent looking.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Most of the AP lineup leaves a lot to be desired. The regular Royal Oaks are great, the Royal Oak Offshore Divers are pretty cool, but way too chunky (IMO), I do happen to like the Jules Audemars line, but only in their most simple form

c.Professional Watches

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I haven't been blown away by AP...the 3120 is amazing on paper and quite beautiful, but its real world performance, judging from what I see on the forums, is not spectacular. The rest of the lineup feels visually dated and the ROO downright unattractive, but of course, that's just my personal opinion.

I'd wear an RO, happily, but it's very far down my list.

·
Registered
278 Posts
At the heart of it I think it boils down to whether you like the Gerald Genta styling or not. I personally am not a fan so the AP RO and PP Nautilus/Aquanaut line does not appeal to me. I know there's a huge following for the Genta styling but to each their own.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
At the heart of it I think it boils down to whether you like the Gerald Genta styling or not. I personally am not a fan so the AP RO and PP Nautilus/Aquanaut line does not appeal to me. I know there's a huge following for the Genta styling but to each their own.
I agree, but I'd add that I'll bet these watches looked awesome when they were released. Unfortunately, the style is not particularly timeless. It's aged ok, don't get me wrong, but you can definitely tell these designs are quite old.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to Tony2009 for the enlightening and incredibly thoughtful response. I can agree with almost 80% of what you said; except that diamond encrusted one is way too guady for me and I don't have gold teeth and drink champagne for breakfast enough to wear that.

Hmmm poignant points by CitizenM and clintfca.. I haven't thought about that being the older styles; though historically it's kind of nice to have.

I do have to slightly take back what I say about AP then in general, not to stereotype them based on the RO's only.. because I took a look at this today and I think I like it a lot actually.

The Millenary.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Thanks to Tony2009 for the enlightening and incredibly thoughtful response. I can agree with almost 80% of what you said; except that diamond encrusted one is way too guady for me and I don't have gold teeth and drink champagne for breakfast enough to wear that.

Hmmm poignant points by CitizenM and clintfca.. I haven't thought about that being the older styles; though historically it's kind of nice to have.

I do have to slightly take back what I say about AP then in general, not to stereotype them based on the RO's only.. because I took a look at this today and I think I like it a lot actually.

The Millenary.

I actually ran into that the other day. Very impressive looking, but still...kind of funky for me. I think I like the Panoinverse or ML Gravity more.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I haven't been blown away by AP...the 3120 is amazing on paper and quite beautiful, but its real world performance, judging from what I see on the forums, is not spectacular. The rest of the lineup feels visually dated and the ROO downright unattractive, but of course, that's just my personal opinion.

I'd wear an RO, happily, but it's very far down my list.
Yeah, the accuracy I've seen reported is not all that swell. The thing with AP is, there are a lot of their watches I like but others I would rather own

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

The Millenary.

Don, I'm actually in the same camp as you. It's interesting...before I knew about watches, I saw the AP design as being so super cool that I would own one some day. As I started on my horological journey I grew less interested in AP. I definitely respect the history behind AP. But here in Socal, it seems everyone wears an AP...then I got lost in all the crazy different ROO renditions that were made.
So then I tried to look at a RO - 15202 or 15300 or 15400. But again, seemed quite commonplace.
Finally took a hard look at the Millenary 4101 - what a unique concept designed from elements of the Roman Coliseum. Alas, I tried it on my wrist at my local AD and it was just too clunky for me.
So I haven't found a piece that I've fallen in love with quite yet. I would really like to find an AP that fits in my collection...perhaps the hunt is part of the fun.

Sent from my 16M

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I have always believed the AP to be more design than substance, especially relying on a single model for success. This is what also held me back from getting a AP forged carbon diver. I was very close to pulling the trigger but was concerned about the aforementioned movement issues etc.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts