WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is my first tritium watch from about 1980. Tritium gave up many years ago. The whole display was backlit.
155AEEB5-8BAB-46C7-93A1-2A66C14E7985.jpeg

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
What would be great would be to find a picture of this watch with the tritium in action--hard to imagine how they did it. In the mean time, here is Ball's approach to using tritium to back light a few of the hour markers, but most notably the DATE!! Their Moonglow--had it for awhile and then moved it along.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Whoa, that's an inventive lume design. What's the ref?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Whoa, that's an inventive lume design. What's the ref?
The model, Engineer II Moon Glow, NM1020C--it came in three dial color choices, white, blue and black--about ten years ago. If you look carefully at the number 3, in the regular light picture (see close up, below), you can see the tritium tubes lined up vertically behind the 3 o'clock number cut out--same with the other three, including a back-lit cut out date wheel (at 9 o'clock).

Attachments

·
Registered
30,161 Posts
The 1980's model is very retro cool.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I had a Timex digital with the same feature, also around 1980. Loved that watch and have been disappointed no one seems to have made a similar design since.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The model, Engineer II Moon Glow, NM1020C--it came in three dial color choices, white, blue and black--about ten years ago. If you look carefully at the number 3, in the regular light picture (see close up, below), you can see the tritium tubes lined up vertically behind the 3 o'clock number cut out--same with the other three, including a back-lit cut out date wheel (at 9 o'clock).
I love this design. I guess it's somewhat inefficient to go overboard on the tritium tubes like this, but the end result is a lume shot that manages to be both classically elegant and very modern. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
May I chime in with the white one:
_1070032.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts