WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished up my project u1. it was gotten in a trade and arrived completely trashed. I removed the ar coating, removed the scratches on the caseback and bezel, but no way to fix the sides without sending it to Jack, so I polished it and added an omega mesh. so opinions on this one. it was either this or in the garbage, it was that bad.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Looks pretty flashy Sean...at least beats throwing it away...By the way welcome back, hope you had a good vacation...but, vacation from what:-d:-d

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think you should send it to me for a closer look! Or just let me know if you can't stand looking at it... Be very interested in taking it off your hand:-! Looks great IMO!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice one. Love the U1. Is there a 'before' pic? I reckon if you had flipped it on the WUS forsale forum, even in a 'garbage' state, it would have been snapped up before the thread was an hour old.

My two dream watches. Kobold Soarway Diver (black dial) and Sinn U1. Oh, and the mesh looks killer on the Sinn. :)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Looks good and the case looks better than I thought it would being polished. :-! Nice work, but it's not like you need another U1 anyway. ;-) Very unique U1, probably the only one I've seen polished. b-)
How did you remove the AR? I was thinking of doing the same to my U2, but I don't want to trash the watch. :think:

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the uh vacation was cut short and should resume shortly. when tow trucks show up at your cabin and load the cars, it puts the brakes on a good time.:roll: apparantly there are cameras on the blueridge parkway and speed sensors. so big fines will be paid today and the cars delivered wed. of course nc is out for the near future. I should really be responsible and do this at the track, but its so much fun in the am hours doing 143 around curves.b-)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Rob,
I have removed the AR from a Damasko with fine diamond paste courtesy of Peter Atwood, it works great, but you must be careful of the bezel, since it will polish the beaded finish of the Sinn. I must say the Damasko was bullet proof, even when I touched the bezel with the dremel there was no change in the steel look.
You can remove it with red jewelers rouge, or fine automative rubbing compound which takes a little more elbow grease.
I actually think there is a thread that describes how to remove the bezel from the Sinn those two little screws.
good luck
ed
Looks good and the case looks better than I thought it would being polished. :-! Nice work, but it's not like you need another U1 anyway. ;-) Very unique U1, probably the only one I've seen polished. b-)
How did you remove the AR? I was thinking of doing the same to my U2, but I don't want to trash the watch. :think:

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
I dig the finish Sean!

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Let me start by saying you did an awesome job of removing the scratches as I only see a very tiny one on the side of the case. Everywhere else looks perfect!:-!

That being said you need to send it to Jack and get it bead blasted!! I love brushed Stainless but the U1 really needs a blasted finish and the mesh bracelet has to go!! The U1 just can't be flashy. I am sorry but I think it looks completely out of its element.

Of course you are welcome to send it to me and I will take care of it;-)!

A very good effort but for a little extra money I would spend it to bring the U1 back. I know it sucks to get burned and then have to pay for someone elses screw up but at this point what else are you going to do. You have an impressive collection and having a U1 look like that is just wrong! I know you can afford to fix it and I know part of it is the principle but I am being really honest with you as you asked for real opinions and as much as I like you the truth is the watch is screaming for a bead blasting!!! And for all that is good get rid of that mesh bracelet!!!!!!!

Rob

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the tegiment is intact. that stuff is really tough. so is the sub steel. It was a interesting project in my spare time and found it could be done. I think your right in sending it to Jack to have it beadblasted and also have him service the movement while its out. the polished deployant stays polished though. that sucker took 2 days and really looks sharp.b-) besides, I have 6 large deployants to spare.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Pretty darn cool imho....:-!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Thanks Ed, I'll check out the search function and see what I can find. :-!

Rob,
I have removed the AR from a Damasko with fine diamond paste courtesy of Peter Atwood, it works great, but you must be careful of the bezel, since it will polish the beaded finish of the Sinn. I must say the Damasko was bullet proof, even when I touched the bezel with the dremel there was no change in the steel look.
You can remove it with red jewelers rouge, or fine automative rubbing compound which takes a little more elbow grease.
I actually think there is a thread that describes how to remove the bezel from the Sinn those two little screws.
good luck
ed

·
Registered
Too many Speedys!
1,888 Posts
the uh vacation was cut short and should resume shortly. when tow trucks show up at your cabin and load the cars, it puts the brakes on a good time.:roll: apparantly there are cameras on the blueridge parkway and speed sensors. so big fines will be paid today and the cars delivered wed. of course nc is out for the near future. I should really be responsible and do this at the track, but its so much fun in the am hours doing 143 around curves.b-)
Sean,

Didn't realize you were in NC. I have been itching to get my S2000 out there on the parkway, but everytime we are up there visiting in-laws, we have the rugrats in tow and stuck in the mini van!o|

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Not much into mesh...

on any watch. So I'm not a fan. However, the watch case looks great. I go back and forth on bead blasted VS brushed. I think the U1 can pull it off. I've seen a piece done by Jack with a more coarse grade media blast. The watch looks dead flat and really killer. That U1 would look SWEET with a finish like that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts