WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.13.001) & Omega Speedmaster MK4.5 (176.0012)
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just browsing the Bay when I came across a seller selling some japanese Speedmaster books. He had some photographs of pages from the books and this one immediately caught my eye :

Is that actually a blue dail on the right there or just a strangely lit shot?

If it is a blue dailed Speedy Pro, anybody can tell us some more about it? :)

Mark

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Re: Blue dailed 1967 Speedy Pro ??

I've seen a few of these over the years. In fact, there's one in Goldberger's Omega Watches.

However, I've never heard any confirmation from Omega about the history of these, or whether they're even authentic.

Sorry, that's the best I can do. Hopefully, others can add their comments.

eric

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

I was under the impression that the older blue dials were just like the brown dials. In that they were originally black, but over the years they have faded. From pictures, it would seem, most went chocolate, but some have gone blue.

Now I'm 80% sure on this and would need a vintage expert like Chuck or GJ to verify, so don't take my words as gospel truth.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts

That's an interesting theory, Fergie, but I'm afraid I just can't buy into it. For example, the dial in Goldberger's book is bright blue. I can't imagine that the dial faded from its original shade.

But, anything is possible, and I've been wrong before.

eric

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

That's an interesting theory, Fergie, but I'm afraid I just can't buy into it. For example, the dial in Goldberger's book is bright blue. I can't imagine that the dial faded from its original shade.

But, anything is possible, and I've been wrong before.

eric
I'm often wrong Eric, and I'll be the first to admit when I am, but I am sure I have read this theory on one of the forums I visit often (or used to visit). Hopefully someone can put me right.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts

At the risk of sounding immodest, I'd like to think, over the years, I've picked up a fair amount of knowledge on vintage Omegas from guys like Chuck, Steve Waddington and his excellent old-omegas.com, and from many, many other guys around here. Obviously, there is still a whole lot that we don't know and I look forward to continuing to learn.

I really don't doubt that that theory has been proposed somewhere, at some time. I'm just saying that, from what I've seen, I don't buy it. My guess is that either Omega did produce a few blue dialed Speedies, for whatever reason, or that they're simply refinished dials. I've also seen a few blue dialed SM300s, which remain a mystery to me, as well.

eric

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
To follow up on this subject, I received the following email from Mr. Jean-Luc Miranda with the Omega Museum in Bienne:
...I can tell you that such a watch is shown on p. 604 of Marco's new book "Omega-A journey through time". This kind of dial is wether a very rare version (however it has never appeared in our archives and no one at Omega remembers such a dial version) or a fake / redone dial. Sorry but we don't know more than yourself and he mystery goes on! The theory that the dial went blue after discoloration is impossible, it usually becomes brown in such cases and not a perfect and uniform brown!​
One of the great pleasures, as well as frustrations with vintage Omegas is the mystery, and in this case, it remains so, even for the guys with the most knowledge.

eric

·
Registered
Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.13.001) & Omega Speedmaster MK4.5 (176.0012)
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To follow up on this subject, I received the following email from Mr. Jean-Luc Miranda with the Omega Museum in Bienne:
...I can tell you that such a watch is shown on p. 604 of Marco's new book "Omega-A journey through time". This kind of dial is wether a very rare version (however it has never appeared in our archives and no one at Omega remembers such a dial version) or a fake / redone dial. Sorry but we don't know more than yourself and he mystery goes on! The theory that the dial went blue after discoloration is impossible, it usually becomes brown in such cases and not a perfect and uniform brown!​
One of the great pleasures, as well as frustrations with vintage Omegas is the mystery, and in this case, it remains so, even for the guys with the most knowledge.

eric

Hi Eric, thanks for getting that comment straight from Omega :-!

Are the only-for-Japanese-market Omega's assembled in Bienne as well by the way (must be, right?) Maybe that is how this watch came to be... the picture is after all from a Japanese book.

Still intriguing that there is probably someone out there with that particular watch in their possession :)

Mark

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Hi Eric, thanks for getting that comment straight from Omega :-!

Are the only-for-Japanese-market Omega's assembled in Bienne as well by the way (must be, right?) Maybe that is how this watch came to be... the picture is after all from a Japanese book.

Still intriguing that there is probably someone out there with that particular watch in their possession :)

Mark
Thanks goes to Mr. Miranda for taking the time to respond to the question.

I'm sure that all Speedies were and are produced in Switzerland, but it's certainly possible that the dial was produced or refinished by someone else, somewhere else.

Reflected light? refraction?
The example in the photo above is quite dark, which may have to do with the photograph or just the particular example. Mr. Miranda also passed on to me this photo, which shows a much brighter blue dial.

eric

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
So no one at Omega can confirm and yet he sent this photo??? John Wilson.
The question isn't whether the watches physically exist; it's whether they left the factory this way as "a very rare version" or if they are "fake / redone dial(s)."

eric

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I would have to ask, why is the area arrowed black and not blue? Maybe it's the photo that is a fake ? :think:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Let's face it, it isn't difficult :-d:-d:-d

1 - 15 of 15 Posts