WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across an article listing apps for sale and discovered Blue Sky Weather. It includes an app for the Apple Watch and can be turned on in glances. It does have a fairly decent radar display and can alert you to approaching rain. Not overly complicated either, might be worth checking out if interested in such things.

·
Registered
17,898 Posts
Cool! I've been trying to decide whether to upgrade to Pro versions of my other radar apps, but haven't been sure if they would be useful on such a tiny screen. Now I can try out the concept.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451692182.177782.jpg
How can I zoom in or out? Oh yeah, Force Touch:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451692189.975102.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451692199.658821.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's really not a bad weather app. I had really enjoyed 1weather on my old samsung galaxy S4 and for quite some time couldn't find an iphone equivalent. I finally did find it for iphone, though I don't think it's quite as refined on the iphone and it doesn't have a watch app so this was a nice find.
I like that it's rather simple but has a nice pleasant display. Believe it or not we've had pretty clear skies recently so I'm waiting for some rain to see how the radar works on the small watch screen.

·
Registered
17,898 Posts
A possible caveat:

The Watch app will refuse to do anything if Location Services is turned Off for the phone app. It won't even update its complication.

Once it's turned On, it looks like Location Services is running all the time, judging by the arrow icon. Not sure if this is good behavior.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A possible caveat:

The Watch app will refuse to do anything if Location Services is turned Off for the phone app. It won't even update its complication.

Once it's turned On, it looks like Location Services is running all the time, judging by the arrow icon. Not sure if this is good behavior.
Hmmm, I hadn't noticed that, but now that you mention it ...
When you mention the arrow icon, you are talking about the one in the upper right display of the phone correct?
When I open the Blue Sky app on my phone, go to settings and then switch on autolocate, the arrow will come on for 10 seconds or so and then go off. That is, until I close the app on the phone, then the arrow comes back on and stays on all the time just like you say. Is this a big drain on the battery?
Conversely, if I turn off autolocate the arrow goes out, both with the app open and closed. But, with it off on my phone it seems like mine is still updating on the watch. The only way I know how to check is with the radar, when I force touch and hit refresh it seems to reload properly, is this the same you are having? I have the weather and radar set to update every 30 min.

·
Registered
17,898 Posts
Having Location Services active is an extra drain on the battery, yes, and my poor 5S's thoroughly-abused battery is on its last legs these days.

All of my other third-party weather apps are set to While Using, and Apple's app is set to Always; none of them seem to be recently active in Location Services. Only Blue Sky seems to be using location even though I've killed the app in the background.

I can turn the app's auto location Off and set its location manually. A little inconvenient, but no problem if I'm not traveling much.

·
Registered
17,898 Posts
But -- this is cool -- looks like Blue Sky is a native Watch app. I switched my phone to airplane mode and the watch app still updated, as far as I can tell.

Also, its complication is Time Travel-aware, and looks ahead for 36 hours, 12 hours longer than Apple's Weather complication.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed, I think this is what you mentioned in an earlier post, is that the glances portion doesn't seem to update unless I open the actual app on the watch. At least while the location services is set to off. This is something that annoyed me with my old Samsung Gear S2.
I going to keep it though, besides the little nuances it has a nice look to it I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts