WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
At the moment I'm a bit undecided which G to get next and while doing some research I came across something that I also noticed on my GA-100-1A1 (sold that one already). I watched the video review on youtube for the G-7800B (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V727Rx0nPFQ) and saw that like on the GA-100-1A1 the digits are kind of slow and blurry when changing :think:. But it's not like that on all models with negative displays - my G-7710C-2 doesn't show that effect for example. It kind of bothers me because it looks like the battery is almost dead (even when it isn't) and it also doesn't look to good on the stopwatch when the digits are changing very fast.
I wonder why the digits look like that. Does it have something to do with the contrast? Are the digits on the positive display version of the G-7800 also like that?

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Hi,
At the moment I'm a bit undecided which G to get next and while doing some research I came across something that I also noticed on my GA-100-1A1 (sold that one already). I watched the video review on youtube for the G-7800B (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V727Rx0nPFQ) and saw that like on the GA-100-1A1 the digits are kind of slow and blurry when changing :think:. But it's not like that on all models with negative displays - my G-7710C-2 doesn't show that effect for example. It kind of bothers me because it looks like the battery is almost dead (even when it isn't) and it also doesn't look to good on the stopwatch when the digits are changing very fast.
I wonder why the digits look like that. Does it have something to do with the contrast? Are the digits on the positive display version of the G-7800 also like that?

My guess it the video is shot at 20 or 30 frames per second, maybe out of sync with the 1/10 of a second and too slow for the 1/100 second to record properly.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Hi,

You sold your GA 100. :roll: Was it just because of the reverse display sub dials or something else :think: I have really been thinking about getting one. How about the standard display :think:

·
Registered
309 Posts
My guess it the video is shot at 20 or 30 frames per second, maybe out of sync with the 1/10 of a second and too slow for the 1/100 second to record properly.

That is exactly the reason for it looking different on screen. I can assure you, it doesn't look like this in real life. The 7900B is a very sharp negative display (as is my MIMB Riseman.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That is exactly the reason for it looking different on screen. I can assure you, it doesn't look like this in real life. The 7900B is a very sharp negative display (as is my MIMB Riseman.
well the video is of the G-7800B not 7900 but I'm gonna say like the others it might be the video recording

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was partly because of the negative display and also because of the button protectors. I just don't like those - they are in no way as annoying as on the G-8000 but they do slightly reduce the operating comfort of the buttons - I was always comparing it to the GW-2500 and it clearly lost that comparison. The positive display is very crisp however - I heard it's as good as the G-7900. I considered getting the AQ-190 instead - same functions without the button protectors and very crisp display. But then some other watches on my 'to-buy-list' kind of moved to the center of attention :-d.
Considering the ana-digis - I might get a GS-1050 or mabye an MTG-1500 but right now I'm perfectly happy with the GW-2500B.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be but it's visible on the normal seconds count. The STW isn't even used in the video review :think:. I think I have to take another look at the watch in the mall.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to update the question of the blurry digits: after getting my G-7800B I found the answer - when the contrast is at a low setting (1-4) the digits seem to change more slowly - hence the 'blurry' effect. It's clearly visible in the video review and it wasn't just the frame rate. But this effect is gone when you set the contrast to max.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Weird, but good! I haven't got any watches with a contrast setting. Which ones have that, that you know of? And why? I have a great range of viewing angle on all my own Gs.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as I know only the G-7700/7710 and the G-7800 have that feature. I always turn up the contrast to maximum - just looks best I think. However on the G-7700 I didn't like the maximum setting 'cause the digits got a blue tint. It works best on negative displays.
This is how it looks in dim light:

And one in bright daylight:

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
interesting topic. personally i have never seen blurry digits on a negative display, lots on positive displays though....:think:

cheers

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just set the contrast on your G-7800B or G-7710-1 to '1' and start the stopwatch or simply watch the seconds count. The digits just get kind of blurry when changing from one to the next. You also notice it on the 'scrolling feature' when changing modes. It looks similar to a LCD being very cold in winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts