WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the best dive of my life tonight. I have been on several night dives, but tonight's was the BEST. Those of you who have dove at night already know this but your underwater lights attract "bugs". I had a 4-Foot Tarpon swimming right past me multiple times eating the little sea-life. We saw:

2 Octopus
2 Squid (Phosphor-luminescent)
Several small shrimp
Spotted Eagle Ray
Horse-shoe crab
Large Porcupine Puffer

I wore the Mil Sharky, and it worked "GREAT" Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of it. I actually have only wore my dive computer on about half the dives...............

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Very cool pics. I especially like the shots of the Phosphor-luminescent squid. :-!

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
:oops: Already posted here (I thought....). Must've gone back to the index after the preview instead of the post!

Anyway, fantastic shots, and great lume on the squid! Like that eagle ray too :-!. Thanks for sharing them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the photo's. Bonaire used to be a regular destination for us and we tried to get in at least one night dive each night.

·
Registered
439 Posts
WOW! Great shots. To be honest, I think I'd have to change my shorts if, from out of the darkness, a stingray came swimming toward me. :-d or anything for that matter. Thanks for sharing the spooky dive with us. :-!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Jason,

That's really cool. After recently seeing a small bull shark in knee deep water (right beside me), it makes me wonder if I could get up the nerve for a night dive!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to start diving. I think it's really great that you guys get to do this, especially on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Jason,

That's really cool. After recently seeing a small bull shark in knee deep water (right beside me), it makes me wonder if I could get up the nerve for a night dive!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to start diving. I think it's really great that you guys get to do this, especially on a regular basis.
Darin, wading and swimming right off the beach freaks me out too. I can dive all day long with big seven and eight foot bull sharks, and it doesn't bother me a bit(as long as the viz is good). If I can see 'em, I'm OK. If I can't, it gives me the willies.

I can't stress enough how exciting diving is. If you get the chance to learn, take it. If you don't get the chance, make it happen. It's an adventure of a lifetime.:-!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Jason-
Very nice pics. Watch/dive envy has subsided. The dive GODS were smiling on you.
If you had gone to Cayman, you would have a Category 4 hurricane bearing
down on you. Not much diving in 150mph winds.
Awesome travelog. Enjoyed it very much. Would like to get info on the camera
and housing you used for the pics (when you get back and have time).
Also had another thought,sometime in the near future, maybe WE (you, me, Scottie,
and anyone else near us or that can get to us) can have a DOXA mini-GTG (get
together) in Memphis.
Something to think about.
Have a safe trip home.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Mike,

I don't know when Jason flies out of Bonaire but here is the answer to your question. It was originally asked in the Bonaire 2 pics thread :-!.

This was Jason's reply:
Actually,
I don't have my own camera setup because I have wasted,,,,,Ahem, invested (yes, much better) all my money on watches:-d

I have borrowed Scotties setup, which I think it quite nice. It is:

----Olympus 6MP model SP-500UZ
----Ikelite Camera housing made specifically for this camera
----SeaLife Reefmaster Digital Strobe. (This arm has been drilled to fit the camera housing)

It does take a little practice to get accustomed to the setup. I would say that it is an all-around versatile setup............ __________________
Jason

I hope this helps. As for the GTG in Memphis, that would be awesome. Perhaps over a weekend in the near future|>|>|>.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Darin, wading and swimming right off the beach freaks me out too. I can dive all day long with big seven and eight foot bull sharks, and it doesn't bother me a bit(as long as the viz is good). If I can see 'em, I'm OK. If I can't, it gives me the willies.

I can't stress enough how exciting diving is. If you get the chance to learn, take it. If you don't get the chance, make it happen. It's an adventure of a lifetime.:-!
Thanks man! It really motivates me to make it happen. I know I would love it! It won't be this year though...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Scottie-
Thanks for the input on the camera setup. Wife has given the okay to go to on a cruise involving Guatamala, Belize and Cozumel in February (that is if I don't get this anniversary Corvette I have a friend trying to sell me). It would be nice to get some nice pics underwater as well as above. Those
pics Jason shot had great detail and background. Always have been impressed by an Olympus result.
As for the GTG, We could show those unfamilar, some good ol' Southern
hospitality, not to mention, great dining, BBKing's, Pat Obrien's, and therest of Beale. We'll have to work on that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts