WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Bond 2531.80 from my fiancee as an engagement gift this January. It's a wonderful watch and was within 2 seconds per day when I first got it. Over the months, it has gone downhill slowly to be about 6-7 seconds slow per day. This adds up quick! How far does it have to be off before I can send it back to Omega for readjustment?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
You're certainly out of COSC specs, so I'd say time to take it in. Nice job scoring an Omega for your engagement, by the way. When I got engaged, the jewelry all flowed one way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. She wanted to get me a watch, but I didn't know which. This forum helped a lot and let me get a great deal on it too. :)

Will the watch continue to slide out of spec? I figured some may "break-in" somewhat and be off the mark after being in use for a few months to a year. I wanted to send it in when it's through this period, if there is such a thing.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I'm not sure I buy the whole "break-in" thing anyway, and I haven't owned my Seamaster as long as you so I don't know from experience. I guess my thought is that if you've been wearing this watch more or less daily since you got it in January and you've noticed a slip in accuracy from 2 seconds per day to 6-7 seconds per day, I think I'd have it looked at now if I were in your shoes.

This assumes of course that your fiancee got the watch at an AD. If she did, take the watch to the AD and the service should be covered under warranty, If she didn't (and no judgments here if that is the case, by the way), you may want to wait because service is expensive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it was bought at an AD (on the referral of someone here, in fact) so there won't be a problem with service.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Get it serviced, some thing isn't quite right. I've had my SMP for 10+ years now and it runs pretty bang on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My Bond SMP was also slow (about 3s per day) at 2 years old, so I sent it back to Bienne just before the warranty expired. I don't know the history of the watch as I bought it used, a couple of months ago.
Anyhow, after 3 weeks absence, I got it back 2 days ago and sadly it's now running 6s slow (i.e. no change (apart from the little red dot on the case back now being a little blue dot!)).
Looks like it will have to go back again - which is less than impressive...

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hey guys, I don't mean to sound patronising, but are you winding your watches up? When a watch is fully wound, the rota only really maintains the power reserve, not keep topping it up. So if the watch hasn't been wound in a month and there are periods of inactivity in your life (such as sleeping, watching TV, driving long distances) they soon eat into that power reserve. Try winding your watch about 40 turns of the crown and just keep an eye on the accuracy. If its still way out, get it checked.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,
Yes - first thing I did when I got it back was to fully wind it, and have worn it all day both days since. I'll give it over the weekend to settle down (I know it shouldn't need this!) then get back onto Omega.
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, I don't mean to sound patronising, but are you winding your watches up? When a watch is fully wound, the rota only really maintains the power reserve, not keep topping it up. So if the watch hasn't been wound in a month and there are periods of inactivity in your life (such as sleeping, watching TV, driving long distances) they soon eat into that power reserve. Try winding your watch about 40 turns of the crown and just keep an eye on the accuracy. If its still way out, get it checked.
I just took my watch off and wound it a turn before hearing the little "click" indicating that it's fully wound. I wear it daily. I'd never heard that you have to wind an automatic yourself.

Daven, I'd read glowing accounts of people who have sent their Omegas back to Bienne. It's odd yours isn't. I wonder if a local servicer could do it. I'm not near one now, but I'm going to Seattle in a few weeks for work and I could drop it at the shop there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd read glowing accounts of people who have sent their Omegas back to Bienne. It's odd yours isn't.
Me too (I have a friend who received a new bracelet when his Quartz SMP went back for a new battery) - which is why I chose to pay the postage from the UK rather that have it sent to a local service center. Now the warranty has expired (while it was in Bienne) I'm going to keep on going with Omega directly, as they will have the history of my watch's problem.

Looks like I just got unlucky:-(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts