WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the forum,

I recently bought my first omega, a Non-LE bond black, and I took it to a jewlers to get the bracelet adjusted. The man didn't seem to know what he was doing as he stuck a small chisel type thing into the pin holes and started hitting it with a hammer (missing and nearly hitting the watch once or twice), I assume to knock the pins out, but he couldn't. Then he mentioned something about not being able to get them out and he said something about grinding something down (at this point I decided to leave with my omega).
My question is, is this a method of getting the pins out or was his method wrong? and is this likely to have caused any internal damage to the bracelet, pins etc?

Snicky

·
Registered
983 Posts
My question is, is this a method of getting the pins out or was his method wrong? and is this likely to have caused any internal damage to the bracelet, pins etc?
Hello & welcome to the forum...
I am very glad that your watch and/or band was not scratched up from this!!! You did the absolute right thing & no this is not a method of pin removal (especially by an ad or jeweler). He definitly should have known better. It should not have damaged the pins or bracelet though as long as neither are all scratched/nicked up. This was/is the real danger of trying to do it this way. If he missed and hit the watch or bracelet it would have been all nicked or dinged up - or he could have slipped and scratched it.

There is a tool that you can order from Otto Frei website that you lay the bracelet in and then screw in a pin pusher into the side/holes and it gently pushes the pins out. Any reputable jeweler should have one of these (or something very similar) on hand. Run from anyone who starts trying to use a hammer on your watch!!!

I will post the link to this tool in a moment. It's not even really expensive. I have one.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Here you go...
go to www.ofrei.com & then go to watch bracelet tools.

Watch Bracelet Tools

Screw-Type Link Pin Remover
No longer do you need to use a hammer to drive out the pins on watch bracelets. This is a gem of a tool; in fact I would say this is the best new bracelet tool of the 90's. Don't waste you time with the much bigger and cheaper model, which is now coming out of China. If you have not picked up this tool yet, do so now and you will be very happy. It works so well just remember to keep you eyes on the job, or you will need to replace the pin. Comes with two long length pins 12 mm long with diameter of 0.78 mm. Also includes two spacers in different height size for a more precise link pin removal; giving that watch bands comes in different thickness.
FB-506
$15.95
</B>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot, I think I will be buying one of those tools soon and I certainly won't be handing my omega to any place that doesn't at least sell omegas in the future.

And this is probably a silly question, but is the watch number printed on the cards unique for every single watch, even same model watches, so my SMP won't have the same watch number as any other SMP?

Thanks, Snicky

·
Registered
983 Posts
but is the watch number printed on the cards unique for every single watch, even same model watches, so my SMP won't have the same watch number as any other SMP?
Yes, that is correct. The watch number on the card is the watch serial number. It is unique for every Omega watch. That number will also be found (in very, very small & laser etched print) on the back of one of your lugs when you turn the watch over. You probably do need to verify (with a maginifying glass) that the number you find on the actual watch (lug back) matches the number on your cards.

·
Registered
555 Posts
he stuck a small chisel type thing into the pin holes and started hitting it with a hammer (missing and nearly hitting the watch once or twice), I assume to knock the pins out, but he couldn't.
Wow, are you sure you did not walk into a butcher?

Never go there again please :)

If you go to a good store (e.g. an AD) they will be able to help you out the right way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I need to get one of those pin driver removal sets.

For myself, I have a few tools, and I still use the hammer and stand. But before I hammer anything, I wrap the bracelet with clear tape (ones you use for packing boxes). Can wrap it a couple of times if you want it thick.

So if my pin does slip for whatever reason, it won't scratch anything.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The Omega AD I go to always has used a hammer to get the pins out. I have the pin remover shown above but it does not work, the pins get stuck halfway out and then you can't get them back in.

·
Registered
284 Posts
...the pins get stuck halfway out and then you can't get them back in.
Greetings,
If you use a long drift pin combined with the pin removal tool it works like a charm. The secret is to go slow and not overtorque the tool and snap the drift pin.
I use a light tap to get the bracelet pin started, and then finish using the tool. Once you do it a few times it's pretty easy...just take your time.
YMMV,
b.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Greetings,
If you use a long drift pin combined with the pin removal tool it works like a charm. The secret is to go slow and not overtorque the tool and snap the drift pin.
I use a light tap to get the bracelet pin started, and then finish using the tool. Once you do it a few times it's pretty easy...just take your time.
YMMV,
b.
I'm sorry, I don't know what a 'drift-pin' is. All that came with the tool were 2 pusher pins, one short and one longer. One time I got a pin stuck and took it to an AD to get it fixed...they refused to size it for me seeing as how it was already "messed up". Had to find a place that would actually work on it.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Many ADs don't know how to size these bracelets without nicking the sheet out of your brand new watch case.

Learn how to do it yourself with the right tools. It's a five minute job with the right tools.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't know what a 'drift-pin' is. All that came with the tool were 2 pusher pins, one short and one longer....
Greetings,
The long pusher pin is the one you want to use...push the bracelet pin out as far as it will go, and be sure to push only in the direction of the arrow on the link. The bracelet pins have a crimped pressure point about a third of the way down the pin, and if you push in the wrong direction you are forcing the pin through two pressure points in the link sleeves instead of just one. That might be why yours got stuck?
If you do a search I believe that there is a tutorial on resizing an Omega bracelet.
YMMV,
b.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Hi I am new to the forum,

I recently bought my first omega, a Non-LE bond black, and I took it to a jewlers to get the bracelet adjusted. The man didn't seem to know what he was doing as he stuck a small chisel type thing into the pin holes and started hitting it with a hammer (missing and nearly hitting the watch once or twice), I assume to knock the pins out, but he couldn't. Then he mentioned something about not being able to get them out and he said something about grinding something down (at this point I decided to leave with my omega).

Snicky
I would have felt like taking that hammer he used and hitting him on the head with it. Darn, what an oaf.

Do yourself a huge favour and spend less the $40 and get yourself these tools:
http://www.mywatchmaker.net/bracelettool.htm
(order it with the omega adjuster pins)

and get this while your at it:
http://www.mywatchmaker.net/springbartool.htm

I really cant stand idiots who dont know what they are doing. If you dont know how to adjust an Omega bracelet, for goodness sakes admit it and dont try stupid things like hitting it with a hammer. I bet the guy wore a timex.

Can you believe I once walked into an AD which had a Hirsch strap display and when I asked to see a leather Hirsch strap the salesperson didnt know what I was talking about!!! The display stand hand big letters spelling H-I-R-S-C-H. It was just a small jewellery store too with 5 or so staff not a department store.

I got pissed off at a tyre store for them screwing up my cars steering. I ended up getting told never to come back as the argument got heated but the fool just wouldn't admit he was wrong. Good help is hard to fine there says. I hope the recession will weed out some of these fools who are working in jobs they are not competent in as the job market tightens. At the moment I cant even walk into a jeweller and get them to suggest an elegant necklace for my grand mother. What use are salespeople if they cant sell and service agents if they dont understand their product.

Sorry for the rant... I just get really really annoyed about this. I work in I.T and the amount of times I see other colleagues (not in my direct team) suggest stupid idiotic solutions to our clients just gets me angry. For goodness sakes, the power cable has two bloody ends, dont say you've check it if you haven't checked the end that plugs into the screen.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I asked the guy I ordered that tool form from for instructions on how to properly remove the pins in an Omega bracelet, and he said he "couldn't type out the instructions" and instead wanted me to call him. I really didn't have the time or desire to talk to this guy on the phone, plus I'd much rather have some picture instructions which show what exactly to do, especially with those sleeve things.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I asked the guy I ordered that tool form from for instructions on how to properly remove the pins in an Omega bracelet, and he said he "couldn't type out the instructions" and instead wanted me to call him. I really didn't have the time or desire to talk to this guy on the phone, plus I'd much rather have some picture instructions which show what exactly to do, especially with those sleeve things.
Its easier then you think ;-)

http://www.mywatchmaker.net/epages/sizingbracelets.htm

·
Registered
941 Posts
The man didn't seem to know what he was doing as he stuck a small chisel type thing into the pin holes and started hitting it with a hammer (missing and nearly hitting the watch once or twice), I assume to knock the pins out, but he couldn't.
The "watchmaker" likely was trying to drive out the pins in the wrong direction. The arrows indicate which way to drive out the pins.
As to using a hammer and pin tool, there is nothing wrong with that as long as the correct sized tool and know how was used. I used to have my bracelet resized by someone and that is what he used to great success.

Nonetheless, the small bracelet tool at www.mywatchmaker.net works great for most DIY'ers.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
The "watchmaker" likely was trying to drive out the pins in the wrong direction. The arrows indicate which way to drive out the pins.
As to using a hammer and pin tool, there is nothing wrong with that as long as the correct sized tool and know how was used. I used to have my bracelet resized by someone and that is what he used to great success.

Nonetheless, the small bracelet tool at www.mywatchmaker.net works great for most DIY'ers.
True, yet missing the pins and hitting the bracelet is unacceptable. I'd threaten to charge him the cost of a buffing (and I wouldn't let him do it eather) if it were my watch.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just tried this tool (which has turned out to be a complete POS in my experience) again...sure enough, another stuck pin, even using the extra-long "drift pins". Now I'll have to pay another $20 to have the AD "unstick" it for me. So far, this piece of junk has cost me over $60 in AD bracelet fees...I should send the guy who sold it to me the bill.:-|:-|:-|

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
I just tried this tool (which has turned out to be a complete POS in my experience) again...sure enough, another stuck pin, even using the extra-long "drift pins". Now I'll have to pay another $20 to have the AD "unstick" it for me. So far, this piece of junk has cost me over $60 in AD bracelet fees...I should send the guy who sold it to me the bill.:-|:-|:-|
Darn, the Omega pin should be long enough to push it out. You can also use a pair of long-nosed pliers to pull the remaining 25% out. As long as you dont force it, it shouldnt be hurt it. Give it a good clean too, there might just be gunk which is causing the pins to be stuck.

If you got one of them sonic cleaners put in in there for about 5 minutes (but dont put the watch itself in, just the bracelet). I use mine every once in a while to clean the gunk out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts