WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I love my original Bond Seamaster, I have always wished that the hands could be longer. The new co axial one has the longer hands that I want!!! Is it possible to retrofit these on my old Seamaster?

regards

FGA

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I'm sure it's possible, but if your watch is still under warranty I HIGHLY discourage you from doing this. You are creating a "frankenwatch" by putting hands on the watch that aren't the ones it came with from the factory, so Omega will not be willing to do this for you. Further, if you let your own watchmaker do it, you will void any remaining warranty you have left on the watch, since only authorized Omega service centers can open your watch while it is still under warranty.
John, how does Omega know if the watch has been opened by anyone but an authorized Omega service center?

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
When an authorized service center opens the watch, they put a different colored dot on the caseback (a color other than red - mine have been blue).
John, thanks for that info. I didn't know how they could tell if the watch had been opened by unauthorized personnel.

Also, since Omega does not allow its service centers to create "frankenwatches", if they received a watch with the wrong hands they would immediately know that someone other than Omega had installed them.
Would changing out the hands with genuine Omega hands really classify it as a "frankenwatch"? I know it wouldn't be acceptable to Omega but I think it would be considered more of a customized watch, not a "frankenwatch"

I know it's only semantics but to me "frankenwatch" conjures up an image of something cobbled together out of junk or used parts to make a functional unit. Or even something put together from mixed watch brand components, not OEM parts like Mighty Pir suggested.

Just my thoughts..........................

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm sure it's possible, but if your watch is still under warranty I HIGHLY discourage you from doing this. You are creating a "frankenwatch" by putting hands on the watch that aren't the ones it came with from the factory, so Omega will not be willing to do this for you. Further, if you let your own watchmaker do it, you will void any remaining warranty you have left on the watch, since only authorized Omega service centers can open your watch while it is still under warranty.

If the watch is no longer under warranty, this doesn't become a concern. However, if you ever need to send the watch back to Omega for routine servicing, you'll need to put the original hands back on, since Omega will not service "frankenwatches". If you have all of your servicing done by an independent watchmaker, then you won't have a problem.

Just some food for thought.

-John
Hmmm ... I'm pretty sure that Swatch in Canada would do it. Perhaps they are more anal in the US?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts