WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

321 - 333 of 333 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
While I still don't like the Bond SE (mostly because I don't like titanium), seeing all the "oohs" and "aahs" reminds me that I haven't bought a new watch in more than a year (well, except for my wife's Constellation). I don't think I've been through such a dry spell since ... well, I don't remember.

"On deck," as it were, could be a new 38mm Skyfall AT, or a BB58, or a SS/WG blue oyster DJ. Or perhaps I'll see how much longer I can hold out. ;-)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am not a big fan of titanium either, and if Omega released a steel version I would be all over it.

But, this watch is really growing on me in spite of the titanium.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Edit: found my notes

8500/8900 movement: 29mm wide x 5.5mm thick
8800 movement: 25.6mm wide x 4.2mm thick

Rolex 3135 movement: 29mm wide x 6mm thick
Interesting information. Why are most Seamasters so much larger than a Sub, for example? The Rolex is only 40mm x 13mm thick x 47mm lug to lug. The Bond Seamaster being discussed in this thread, as well as the regular production 300M's are 42mm x 13.7 x 50mm. The 300MC is 41 mm x 15mm x 48 mm. Plant Oceans are 15.5 to 16mm thick, whether it be the 42 or 39 variant. Even the relatively svelte Seamaster Trilogy is 39 mm x 14 mm x 48mm. These numbers are out of whack with where the industry appears to be going. And the explanation that has typically been given is the co-axial movement necessitates a thicker watch. But the above numbers show that may not be the case. I am an Omega man. My first "nice" watch purchase was a Speedmaster hesalite. But their current design choices are disappointing, to say the least.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
While I still don't like the Bond SE (mostly because I don't like titanium), seeing all the "oohs" and "aahs" reminds me that I haven't bought a new watch in more than a year (well, except for my wife's Constellation). I don't think I've been through such a dry spell since ... well, I don't remember.

"On deck," as it were, could be a new 38mm Skyfall AT, or a BB58, or a SS/WG blue oyster DJ. Or perhaps I'll see how much longer I can hold out. ;-)
Those are 3 very fine choices, sir! Any one in particular leading the pack?

Rene

·
Registered
945 Posts
Why are most Seamasters so much larger than a Sub, for example?
As far as I can tell, it's strictly a design choice to make their watches thicker than they need to be. Display backs obviously add a little bit to the thickness but that's hardly the main driver. I suspect that a ceramic dial might be a little thicker than a brass dial, or a ceramic bezel insert thicker than an aluminum one but I can't say one way or another.

I'm as disappointed as anyone in this since the 90's era Seamaster Professionals were "large" but they wore easily because they were quite thin and flat (both the quartz and automatic versions). The old pin-and-collar Bond bracelets are also still immensely comfortable.

While we're designing our dream Seamasters, I would basically put the 8900 into a 2230.50 and call it a day.

Reactions: shadash

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts

Rene
Right now, the fourth choice – inertia – is comfortably in the lead. But second place is the AT.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

Rene
Right now, the fourth choice – inertia – is comfortably in the lead. But second place is the AT.
Would you mind if I enquire as to your reason/s for picking the AT over the DJ? I'm in a similar position at the moment...trying to narrow down my choices to a final 3.

I might be mistaken, but didn't you have an opaline AT 2500 about 8 or so years ago?

Best,

René

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Another crack at the Skyfall AT whip eh Rob? I'm on my second one now :p I have to say that the blue Datejust if you mean the version released at Bael world about a year ago is stunning!!!! I tried on the 126234 36mm with fluted bezel and jubilee. The nicest wearing watch I've had the pleasure of trying. The Jubilee literally hugs the wrist. The WG bezel catches the light so well and I like the cyclops on it too. Jut not on any of their sports models.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Would you mind if I enquire as to your reason/s for picking the AT over the DJ? I'm in a similar position at the moment...trying to narrow down my choices to a final 3.
I might be mistaken, but didn't you have an opaline AT 2500 about 8 or so years ago?
Best,
René
Well, a few reasons: I already have two S&G DJs, including the new model with solid Jubilee; I actually like the redesign of the midsize AT, with the symmetrical 38mm and the more interesting crown, and the garage-door dial has grown on me; and, personally, I prefer the AT over the DJ for a sport-dressy watch (if I got a DJ, it likely would be with the domed bezel and oyster bracelet, but still the blue stick dial). Nothing against the Jubilee. The one on my 116233 is the nicest, most comfortable I've ever worn.

Finally, yes, I still have the opaline Gen2 AT. The only reason I don't love it (I still enjoying wearing it fairly often) is because it's silver and not blue.

Another crack at the Skyfall AT whip eh Rob? I'm on my second one now :p I have to say that the blue Datejust if you mean the version released at Bael world about a year ago is stunning!!!! I tried on the 126234 36mm with fluted bezel and jubilee. The nicest wearing watch I've had the pleasure of trying. The Jubilee literally hugs the wrist. The WG bezel catches the light so well and I like the cyclops on it too. Jut not on any of their sports models.
You know, Dan, I really pondered trying to snag another original Skyfall, like the one I foolishly flipped long ago. If I ran across one that was NOS, I couldn't resist. That said, as observed above, I really like the new blue AT styling ... except for the horizontal stripes (I'm old enough to remember those horrid bars when trying to watch TV on an aging B&W set, and constantly fiddling with the rabbit ears and the dials to make it stop ;-)).

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Well, a few reasons: I already have two S&G DJs, including the new model with solid Jubilee; I actually like the redesign of the midsize AT, with the symmetrical 38mm and the more interesting crown, and the garage-door dial has grown on me; and, personally, I prefer the AT over the DJ for a sport-dressy watch (if I got a DJ, it likely would be with the domed bezel and oyster bracelet, but still the blue stick dial). Nothing against the Jubilee. The one on my 116233 is the nicest, most comfortable I've ever worn.

Finally, yes, I still have the opaline Gen2 AT. The only reason I don't love it (I still enjoying wearing it fairly often) is because it's silver and not blue.
Thanks for your insight, Rob. I appreciate you taking the time.

Rene

Reactions: iinsic

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

You know, Dan, I really pondered trying to snag another original Skyfall, like the one I foolishly flipped long ago. If I ran across one that was NOS, I couldn't resist. That said, as observed above, I really like the new blue AT styling ... except for the horizontal stripes (I'm old enough to remember those horrid bars when trying to watch TV on an aging B&W set, and constantly fiddling with the rabbit ears and the dials to make it stop ;-)).
I agree that the new style symmetrical case and crown is nicer. Once you notice the bulge on the crown side of the Skyfall, it’s impossible to un see it. The AT I picked up was in 99% condition. I was really lucky. Picked it up within a few hours of finding it and paid for it unseen :-d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
639 Posts
I love it for some reason. It looks like a BB58 but with all the gilt burned to brown. Very military color vibe. Unfortunately, it's way beyond what I'd be willing to pay. Lucky for me it's also at least 2mm too big, so it doesn't matter much either way.

321 - 333 of 333 Posts