WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
It's nice enough, but for the price increase you're getting a worse watch overall. Having aluminum instead of ceramic, while it might look cool, is undoubtedly worse. They could've gone with a matte ceramic. Then they get rid of the display back, which is fine, but they don't even update it with a new hippocampus or anything, just a boring caseback.

They ditch the gorgeous bracelet and offer the Milanese, which while looking decent is very clearly another downgrade.

Titanium is cool, but when other features are worse than the standard Seamaster, that price hike is ludicrous.
This 100%^^^

I like the look of it (apart from the bracelet), and the domed sapphire looks great, but scratchy-scratch-prone Grade 2 titanium plus a fade/scratch-prone aluminium bezel insert, and all for more than twice the price of the standard verison. Hmmmmmmm.... :think:

When it first came out I initially thought the 43mm ceramic cased/grade 5 ti version was way over-priced, but in comparison to this one it's a positive bargain! I dunno what Omega are smoking with their pricing at times.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
It's nice enough, but for the price increase you're getting a worse watch overall. Having aluminum instead of ceramic, while it might look cool, is undoubtedly worse. They could've gone with a matte ceramic. Then they get rid of the display back, which is fine, but they don't even update it with a new hippocampus or anything, just a boring caseback.

They ditch the gorgeous bracelet and offer the Milanese, which while looking decent is very clearly another downgrade.
Some good points here I didn’t previously consider. I think it’s a very nice looking watch but agree with the above but for the Milanese bracelet, which I love.

It’s moot but if you were going to create a vintage watch with an aluminum bezel that ages, why make an already aged looking lume? Pick a side basically - faux or not.

Someone mentioned above, but agree a smaller case size would have gone a long way to capture the vintage feel. Why I love my Oris 65.

Same watch in 7K range with a matte ceramic bezel would have been perfect. No watch is ever truly flawless and exactly the way I would have designed it, but $9K puts this watch in the same category with some very heavy hitters and I don’t know if it measures up. Price aside, I really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
This 100%^^^

I like the look of it (apart from the bracelet), and the domed sapphire looks great, but scratchy-scratch-prone Grade 2 titanium plus a fade/scratch-prone aluminium bezel insert, and all for more than twice the price of the standard verison. Hmmmmmmm.... :think:

When it first came out I initially thought the 43mm ceramic cased/grade 5 ti version was way over-priced, but in comparison to this one it's a positive bargain! I dunno what Omega are smoking with their pricing at times.

I also agree. Too many downgrades to justify that kind of price. That's Rolex Hulk/Batman/Pepsi msrp.(once the bubble bursts)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think the watch looks amazing. As someone else mentioned, the colour of the lume is just that... colour. I really don’t get why it should always be white. If the watch had white lume, ceramic bezel, wave dial, display back and a regular bracelet it would be a standard smp.
I for one, am glad to see a unique take on a watch I love.

Now the price, that’s something I can’t defend!

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
$9,200.00USD (on bracelet) is a hefty price for an SMP. In comparison:

• Regular SMP: $5,200.00USD
  • Titanium Chrono SMP: $7,800.00USD

They figured out if they give Bond a unique watch, not one from the regular Omega collection, they can jack up the price.

The watch looks more tool-like that the standard SMP lineup, I like that.
The colours give it a vintage look, very nice.

Far better than the 007 LE.

At first, no wave-dail gave me mixed feelings. I conclude this watch, it its design, quite possibly looks better than it would with a wave dial. I think its the vintage feel it gives, the wave dial wouldn't go as well on this one.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
It's okay. I wouldn't buy one in a month of Sundays, and I would never wear a Milanese bracelet, but it's okay (the NATO straps are good, but I'd never drop this money on a watch with a bracelet I actively dislike). It's better than some of their other 007-themed watches.

And I'll just come out and say it - I quite like fauxtina. There's a time and a place for it, and generally it's on watches like this.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I really like the look of this watch.

- Lume comes in a spectrum of colours and I love this combo.
- Matte dial, brushed hands and matching applied markers comes together well. Never liked the wave dial (Edit: new etched wave dial). My fav looking SMP has the black glossy non-wave dial.
- No date. Works for me in this overall package.
- Not sure how I feel about the bracelet though. I would prefer this was an option or better yet, came standard in the box as another way to dress the watch (like a NATO), I just really like the original design bracelet and in Ti it would be very cool.
- I have always liked the He valve since Golden Eye came out, didn't know then what it did but loved it as a point of difference to other watches so I kind of got used to the idea of it being there (even though now as WIS, I know it is for me, "ridiculous"). Got to say though, the older style He valve had a nicer, more subtle presence to it.

Not sure it it could knock my beloved Pelagos LHD off its perch but for me, there isn't room for the both of them anyway. This would be a more versatile watch out of the two if one had a "small" collection.

Looking forward to seeing it in the metal (fingers crossed this happens) just as much the new movie.

B79

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
- I have always liked the He valve since Golden Eye came out, didn't know then what it did but loved it as a point of difference to other watches so I kind of got used to the idea of it being there (even though now as WIS, I know it is for me, "ridiculous"). Got to say though, the older style He valve had a nicer, more subtle presence to it.
I actually missed that. I do not really like the way the HE valve is shaped. Due to the fact the crown is a different style. They should be the same.
It doesn't make me like the overall watch any more or less.

This watch is something I'd buy if I won the lottery and had money to burn, many others I like more to spend hard-earned on.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
So damn close to being perfect. If they lost the fauxtina and milanese bracelet it could be the best Bond Seamaster if not best Seamaster iteration ever in my opinion.

Would prefer smaller case size too but could live with it as it is if the above changes were made.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
My first impression was WOW. They really did create a watch that looks like its been used by Bond as opposed to a watch thats been created as a souvenir to a film. No offence intended to owners of other bond editions and Im not referring to ALL bond editions (love the sky fall and MC versions) but you know what I mean. The last one had a weird plaque stuck on the side of the case. This watch looks really cool. It even looks good on any nato judging by the photos and I dont even like nato straps. Then I spent a bit more time looking at it as I was really considering an AD visit. Putting my critical hat on, maybe theyre tried too hard on this. The domed crystal looks VERY domed and maybe that fauxtina is a bit too brown? Could it be that you tire of that watch fairly quickly. Then theres the price. I know its titanium but that cant double the price can it? I know there are other costs with manufacturing the new dials etc but its a SMP which is a ton of watch for under £4k and Tudor can make a Titanium watch for less than the price of a steel SMP. I dont have the money to splash on a watch like this to drop into the collection which would mean it would be more of a daily watch and that rules it out for me. The cynic in me cant help feel that Omega are trying to knock on the door of Rolex and thats not going to work. To do that, they need to remove 4000 watches from their Seamaster range for starters. Although I keep looking at photos of it which is a worrying sign for my illness to kick in. Perhaps this will go the same way as the ceramic speedies which took a huge tumble after a few months. THEN I can justify it as I will be "saving money". I may come back and retract this entire statement as I cant stop thinking about it. The voices are back.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I actually like this a lot!!! Prefer my watches with no date...and this looks great on solid color nato, but it would look BOSS on black rubber!!! Does anyone know the lug width?

·
Registered
29,014 Posts
Good looking piece!!

Waiting list anyone??

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Is it "vintage" fauxtina or is it actually light brown/tan?

Reactions: megaace

·
Registered
372 Posts
I really like the Milanese mesh, but it is gonna by strap monster anyway.

View attachment 14679051
I will admit it looks absolutely superb on that brown leather.

BUT to even start to justify the price, it should be made of grade 5 ti or better yet, grey ceramic like the GSotM (or even steel, although it would lose some of the vintage/"used" aesthetic in SS), and that bezel insert should be matt ceramic (like the Pelagos).

If that was the case I'd now be thinking about what I could sell to pick one up! But as it is, my wallet is absolutely safe.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'm just glad its not a limited edition. It'll be easily available.

But the price though. Yes its titanium but does it justify the price? Plus the aluminium bezel instead of ceramic... Kinda going backwards isn't it? Overall it looks good. I might get it, but not gonna pay full price for it. Perhaps preowned somewhere down the line. Doubtful it would increase in value since it isn't a limited edition like how the value of the Spectre Seamaster 300 has increased over the years.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
To me it looks like someone at Omega bought a Pelagos LHD and said, “Hey, we need to do something like this too...”
Exactly what I was thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 333 Posts