WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 333 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
This whole thing kinda exemplifies my love / hate relationship with Omega. The Railmaster and the retro Seamaster reissue are totally on the money, but so many others... aren't, and get so much so wrong. To my eye, obviously, YMMV.

Then again, that stealth-Speedy with the mustard colour indices is a guilty pleasure. And I still lust over the Speedy Mk II reissue with the racing dial.

But at this price, and that godawful Milanese bracelet? This is a big ol' no from me.
I will admit, at first I didn't mind the Milanese. But the more I see of it, the less it appeals to me.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Christopher Ward uses grade 2 titanium, all real watch companies use 3 or 5. Seriously.

Why can I get a Pelagos with titanium bracelet, a real bracelet, for half this amount?

Something is off here with their logic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'll get it preowned... Would probably be cheaper than retail that's for sure.

Reactions: carlhaluss

·
Registered
423 Posts
So many things with this new Bond watch.

1. First thought was that it didn't look like titanium as the Omega titanium watches that I'm familar with are a darker gray type color.

2. I like the look of it and the coloring and I normally don't like the tropical fake aged look. I remember thinking from the early No Time to Die set pictures posted here that the watch was gold and just because of that I wouldn't want the watch.

3. It seems like they didn't want to go full retro and kept things like the more modern hands and bezel. That's one of those things that will be debatable if Omega went far enough. I'm not sure where I am on that yet. The watch references Bond's first movie, Dr. No on the back. And yet it still has those new hands and bezel. Just kind of strange. I do like the military stuff on the watch. Too bad this wasn't Daniel Craig's first watch. He could have used it throughout his series.

4. I'm still not sold on the bracelet. I don't know if I had a bracelet like that in the past. But I do have a odd feeling seeing it similar to how I felt about small G-Shock buttons.

5. The price I thought was a typo. Going by the recent limited On Her Majesty's Secret Service edition and packaging, I thought I wasn't seeing all the images for this No Time to Die version. Add in the no display back, I knew there had to be more? Change of strap, tools, box, something else included. But I guess this is the final Daniel Craig James Bond movie and titanium premium price upgrade.

Thankfully the watch is not limited so I will check it out one day in stores. If the movie is good and the watch looks nice in person I might consider it. I already have another brand in mind for a Bond watch project and I'm watching to see what kind of variants Timex will bring for their automatic Navi line next year. I'll see how long I can wait on the Omega. And if they quickly announce a reboot to the series and someone like Christopher Nolan is directing, I expect far more attention to details and maybe a singular watch for the whole run like how Connery had the same Rolex for the majority of his movies. I might not need a watch for Daniel Craig's movies then as they don't have the impact for me like the ones from the older actors.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Regarding the price, it’s priced identically (give or take one or two hundred USD) to the original msrp of the Spectre watch that could be bought from an AD, before selling out.

On the one hand, this makes sense since this new piece fits the same category - seamaster worn in the movie. However, on the other hand, this is not a limited edition piece like the Spectre is.

The Spectre seems to have really held its value... actually appreciated in value - they have all been sold, and second hand prices seem to range from $9k - $13k+, used. I have a feeling this is due to the limited nature of the watch. I’m not sure this new piece will do the same.

On a completely unrelated note, I have been on the list for a Rolex Hulk for about a year now, and should be “next in line”. For about the same msrp (!), I couldn’t take this 007 edition Diver 300 over a Hulk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: carlhaluss

·
Registered
139 Posts
I like the modern aesthetic, but the mustard yellow lumes - the fake aged look, i havent grown to. For those thinking of retail vs second hand...go second hand as i dont think this is limited and also omegas in general dont seem to hold their retail values that well (except limited speedmasters/seamasters - especially speedmasters with minor aesthetic differences like the apollo ones or ultraman (i can only dream))

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
As many have already observed in this thread (and countless others in WUSOF), Omega is obsessed with faux vintage lume. Now it appears that their old bubble-domed crystal (which would be positively delicious on a SM300 reissue, but in sapphire) is a new obsession. This is what, the third or fourth "special edition" to use it?

Don't get me wrong: I really like the whole package ... from a distance. I especially liked that they ditched that crappy neo-wave dial, and the all-brushed finish. But up close, I find myself becoming a tad more critical: the faux lume; the bubble crystal; the cheap-grade titanium for the case and bracelet; and, frankly, the Milanese mesh. DC's well into his 50s now, but I suspect he still thinks of himself as too young for that sort of thing (I think of stooped, overweight retirees with their pants halfway up their chest when I think of Milanese mesh, albeit with gold watches ;-)).

I remain a devoted fan of the SMP. I love my SMPc and wear it probably 60% of the time. But Omega missed some chances to really do this right, especially with the titanium grade (should be 5 at least) and the bracelet (should have been real shark mesh with flattened links like the SM1200, but with the SM1200's ratcheting clasp AND they should have added custom-fitted endlinks to shield the raw edges of the mesh at the watchhead.

DC is making so much money for this, the last James Bond movie, that he'd wear a chicken suit if it were required, so putting on a reasonably acceptable watch (even one that is too big for his wrist) would not be a deal-breaker.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Some real life photos from Monochrome; the lume doesn't appear quite so dark/aged.

I really like the use of titanium, but would much prefer a standard SMPc in titanium with titanium bracelet.

Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-007-Edition-210.90.42.20.01.001-12.jpg Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-007-Edition-210.90.42.20.01.001-8.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
Some real life photos from Monochrome; the lume doesn't appear quite so dark/aged.

I really like the use of titanium, but would much prefer a standard SMPc in titanium with titanium bracelet.

View attachment 14681075 View attachment 14681073
I noticed these pics as well. Possibly in a bright light or with a flash. I know when I take pics of my Railmaster Trilogy with the faux patina it looks a lot lighter. Well, I guess I have to see it in real life. At least since it's not a limited edition, we now have the luxury of at least seeing it before committing. Even with the high price tag, if the lume really looks like this, I might consider it.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not much to say that hasn't already been said. For me, personally, I love it. It works in nearly every single way (except for the mesh bracelet and the price). Looking forward to seeing one in person (and the movie too!).

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Manufacturers really need to get the color right on the aged lume. I think the color is perfect on the 300mc (no orange, a little cream) while the Pelogos is too yellow, and looks like it was soaked in urine. This Seamaster looks like it went more orange for a greater aged look, like the photo below. I like it, but I won't be buying it. In a small collection I don't see myself wanting more than one watch with faux patina.

View attachment 14680295
THATS WHAT IT REMINDS ME OF! the Rolex from Dr No

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I did not read all 12 pages of this, so excuse me if it was already mentioned. Since I didn't see any serial numbers on the lugs in the pictures, I assumed that they were somewhere in all of the engraving on the back of the case. I found the below info on the net about what the engravings mean. I imagine they will be on the lug as always when they release this.

The numbers on the case back which follow the format for genuine military- issue watches. “0552” is the code-number specified for Navy personnel, with “923 7697” being the number for a divers’ watch. The letter “A” is a code used to signify a watch with a screw-in crown, while “007” is James Bond’s iconic agent number. Finally, the number “62” is the year of the very first James Bond film.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The pics from Monochrome make it look less bad. Still, the bracelet looks like and aftermarket afterthought and the faux military markings just come off as silly. Of course, it's all pretend though. Faux secret agent, faux lume, faux military, and faux fade and faux worn bezel and dial and case in twenty years. Oh, and 9200.00? There are a boatload of watches I'd rather have for that money.

Guess I won't be invited to any Bond parties anytime soon. I'm ok with that.

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
Well, as you guys all know, over the years, or decades actually, I have been a staunch supporter of Omega. Even during times when I have started to doubt them myself. One might even say, one of the most loyal fans on this forum. Lots of it is for the emotional side, watching the Moon Landing with my Dad and my family having worn Omega watches over the years. But one can only turn the other cheek for so long.

This Seamaster 300M 007 Edition is a rip-off to not just me, but to a loyal client base. I just feel I can no longer support the brand. They do make very good watches. But so do other companies. I don’t mind spending good money, but when I feel I am being taken advantage of or ripped off, I have to get out.

The sale of my Trilogy pieces and my FOIS will go a long way to funding another watch, maybe even two or maybe one expensive one. But they will have to be watches where I can see honest value.

Basically, I am done with Omega. I have had tons of fun along the way, but it’s time to move on. I have made a few lifelong friends at the Omega Boutique who will always be my friends regardless. And same goes for my friends on this forum.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Well, as you guys all know, over the years, or decades actually, I have been a staunch supporter of Omega. Even during times when I have started to doubt them myself. One might even say, one of the most loyal fans on this forum. Lots of it is for the emotional side, watching the Moon Landing with my Dad and my family having worn Omega watches over the years. But one can only turn the other cheek for so long.

This Seamaster 300M 007 Edition is a rip-off to not just me, but to a loyal client base. I just feel I can no longer support the brand. They do make very good watches. But so do other companies. I don’t mind spending good money, but when I feel I am being taken advantage of or ripped off, I have to get out.

The sale of my Trilogy pieces and my FOIS will go a long way to funding another watch, maybe even two or maybe one expensive one. But they will have to be watches where I can see honest value.

Basically, I am done with Omega. I have had tons of fun along the way, but it’s time to move on. I have made a few lifelong friends at the Omega Boutique who will always be my friends regardless. And same goes for my friends on this forum.

Cheers,
Carl
...I mean, you could also just not buy this watch and continue to enjoy the ones you have, right?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

Cheers,
Carl
can't say I'm with you regarding this particular trigger,
except, of course, if the pricing was the proverbial straw,
but, for different reasons, they've managed to estrange me also.

101 - 120 of 333 Posts