WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stuck here, making this decision.

On one side, there is a full-size Bond (maybe coax, but not with the second time)

on the other is a classic AT (different colours considered).

I plan to wear the watch normally, sometimes with a suit.
Seeing as though I do not know that much about Omega's, which one would you guys prefer. Is AT a classic already?

Any advice would be excellent.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Ditto from this John as well.

The AT is a very versatile watch - at home in the board room or at the beach.

I've owned both a 39mm auto and a 36mm quartz AT and loved them both.

The only reason I don't currently have an AT is that I have one of their predecessors, a rather unique Seamaster 120m with "Speedmaster" misprinted on the dial.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
656 Posts
I guess I'll insert my .02 here since I have a different view than John and others. I've owned both the Bond SMP and a blue faced AT on the bracelet. I owned both at the same time. I thought, when I bought it, that the AT would make a perfect all purpose watch. I don't dress up much but fealt that the AT would definitely go well with a jacket and as an every day wearer. But after wearing it for a while, I fealt that it was just too dressy looking for my casual atire. I wear slacks and shorts with golf shirts most of the time and dress up only seldom.

So, I ended up selling the AT and currently have two SMPs, a Bond and an electric blue. If I'm dressing casual I like the electric blue or the Bond. If I want to dress up a bit, it's the Bond.

I think the features that make the Bond suitable for dress is the dark blue, almost black, dial and the fact that the SMP has a very low profile case which hides under long sleeves very well. I may be in the minority but I feel that the Bond makes a better all purpose watch.

So, now you have several opposite opinions. In the end you must satisfy yourself. Why not buy both? :)

·
6,880 Posts
I would go with the Bond myself.

The AT is a great watch but the bond is more versatile in my opinion. I think it wears quite well with dressier clothes and its just at home on the beach.
I mean if Bond pulls it off with a custom made suit on AND at the beach....what more could you want? lol :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's undecided still :(
I like the look of the Seamaster, but the whole marketing hype and the fact that it must be a very common watch scares me.

I am also looking at the Speedmaster Pro, but too many dials to use with a watch that will be used with a suit.

Re: the AT. What the difference between a Railmaster and a normal one. Is it just that the Railmaster has the arabic numbers on it?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Maybe you should consider other options. I feel that black is more versatile than blue. So if you are considering a Co-Ax let me suggest this PO

I think that a black diver looks sporty enough for shorts but nice and dressy to wear with a suit. Like John posted earlier, only Bond can get away with wearing a blue dialed watch with a tux.
IMO AT´s are either too sporty or too dressy. The cream dialed AT with blue hands is beatiful but very sporty while the silver and the black dialed ones but specially the one with rose gold hands are classic beauties, but a bit to formal to dress them down.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I tried the new SMP Bond Co-Ax (2220.80) and I didn't like it that much. The wavy dial just reflects light too much when viewed under direct light. As such, it over powers the apperance of the second, minute and hour hands. I therefore went for the AT. The AT not only is versitile in dressing up or down, there are also a lot of dial and case options.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Hi guys, (and a happy new year)

As most know I just bought a 42.2mm AT (rose gold/off white face).

Like most new watches it need some wrist time. My others are The (wonderful) Speedy and A (Very nice) Breitling Chrono Colt, so the AT is very different!

My eye is naturally drawn to the black/red PO Chrono, however I am going to give the AT some time as I think it's a smart watch and a (saphire back) nice movement.

All tastes are different thank goodness and the choice you make will be best for you.

best

Al

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Tried watches today. Here are my opinions:

AT - too conservative for me.
Bond - nice overall.
Moon watch - the nicest, but it costs 2x as the classic mechanical Bond, since I would want a sapphire sandwich (need an everyday watch).

The favourite at the moment is the classic 2531.80.00 for it's value for money.

Looked at some Breitlings which all are humongous monsters (apart from one).

PS. Will have to check out PO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought my AT because I wanted a "dressier" watch. But then found myself wearing it with jeans and a sweatshirt also. Looks and feels great. If you think the AT is too conservative, you may want to look at an AT chronograph model like the 2512.30 or 2512.50. I think the chronograph models look sportier but since it's an AT, can still be dressy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts