WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Privyet comrades! I am a bit stumped on this one and need your input.

I decided to find a Navy/Sub Komandirskie as a gift for my grandfather, who served in the Russian navy back in 1960's. He actually has a tattoo of a small anchor on his hand that is similar to the anchor on the watch face.

I have a pretty good idea of what is an authentic vintage Bostok (dial, case, hands, etc) and what is not after reading your many comments and analyses. I am pretty sure the one I bought is not. But it suits my grandfathers style (flared lugs, simple bezel)...and I got it for super cheap.

My question is what type of case and bezel are these? I have searched and cannot a one similar. The case measures 42 mm with crown.

Navy-1.jpg Navy-2.jpg

I am planning to replace the watch crystal as it is badly scratched and leave everything else untouched. I know my grandfather is gonna love it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spasibo comrades!

Seele
that is right on. I just did a search (found some threads from 2010 with your comments as well) and found some matching styles. Its just funny as I have spent the past month of so looking t Komandirskies and have never seen these case type before.

Amil I know that you have handled many Bostok watches...have you seen a bezel like this before? I am mostly confused by the lack of color as all the other bezel styles have decoration. Again I think that plain, uncolored bezel will match my grandfathers style...and so I am perfectly happy with its appearance.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Spasibo comrades!

Amil I know that you have handled many Bostok watches...have you seen a bezel like this before? I am mostly confused by the lack of color as all the other bezel styles have decoration. Again I think that plain, uncolored bezel will match my grandfathers style...and so I am perfectly happy with its appearance.
The bezel is missing paint. It should have a red dot, and I believe three black chevrons and two red ones.

I don't have this in my collection, but someone must...

P.S. You might be able to buff out the scratches in the crystal. There are a number of threads about how to do that on WUS -- usually you just use wet sandpaper --> some sort of abrasive cleaner --> toothpaste --> something to buff. Here's one that's really comprehensive.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/how-...sh-acrylic-crystals-picture-heavy-669703.html

It doesn't make much of a difference. I'm sure a watchmaker can replace the acrylic crystal, but if you put some sweat equity into the gift, your dad might appreciate it even more!

Reactions: Oliverb

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Neuron22,

If you wish to fill in the bezel with paint, Testors modelling paints have 1150 Flat Red and 1149 Flat Black which are exact matches.

I must admit to not been taking much notice, but I always thought that the 811 case always comes with a bezel with recessed surfaces for numbers, but I could be wrong here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perdendosi - Thanks for the information and for the link to the crystal buffing. I am gonna give it a try for sure. I may even do this with my grandfather who was a machinist in the Navy (and receiving this watch). He may enjoy the process...and frankly will probably be better at it than me.

Seele - Thanks for the specifics on paint colors. As of right now I am considering leaving it plain as I think it will be more my grandfathers style. But should plans change this will be tremendously helpful.

When I received the watch the bezel was really sticky/gunky and hard to turn. I popped the bezel off and cleaned it out a bit...it rotates really nicely now.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's a very nice watch from early 90's. I must say that bezel looks even better without paint IMHO. Hope your grandfather will enjoy it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts