WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Should say, bought a 40 year old watch*

Picked up an Omega Geneve Dynamic from eBay last month and only got it back from the shop (had the crystal and crown replaced as they looked a bit tired). I was playing with the lume on my speedmaster and railmaster in my watch box, turned the light off and a watch produced in 1973's lume still works! Unbelieveable! Has anyone ever found this before?

Here's a photo I took of it whilst out visiting a customer:
2o91.jpg

Reactions: ari.seoul

·
Premium Member
66,748 Posts
Handsome looking watch. Congrats on it and the lume. The tritium on my DJ was flat as the proverbial in less than half that time.

·
Premium Member
32,592 Posts
That is a very nice looking vintage watch.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
classy vintage piece !

·
Registered
559 Posts
Wish my '85 Rolex GMT would glow, but sadly it doesn't. But the lume has turned a beautiful yellowish, so that makes up for it, I suppose.

I had a '67 Accutron that would glow for a few secs after charging, but it didn't hold a glow. It's amazing that your Omega still does. Very cool!

I'd love to have a vintage radiomir Panerai that still glowed, but wouldn't want the fallout! lol!

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Does your Dynamic have the two Ts on the sides of "Swiss Made?" The original dials on these watches (late sixties, early seventies) are like that. If it doesn't, it's one of the modern dials. Omega still makes dials for theses watches, and I believe they use modern lume. Lots of Dynamics have had their dials replaced with new ones or have been redialed.

Here's what I'm taking about with the Ts. What's left of the tritium still glows--this dial is super rough--but it's not bright. My watch is from 1970.

Both my LeCoultre (1969) and Tressa (early to mid 1960s) are still pretty bright.

My Orvin, on the other hand, is a puzzling beast. It's from the 1950s and is almost blinding, but I suspect the hands have been relumed.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
This watch is in great shape! Is it all original?
Yes. It originally came with three different bezels, but I only have the one on my watch. I'd like to find the other two, but it's near impossible.

It doesn't help that these watches aren't seen often, either. I'm talking really slim production numbers.

I found this article on vintage Jaeger LeCoultre dive watches a while back. There's a photo of my watch with the World Time bezel, which I'd really like to find.

http://jlc.watchprosite.com/show-nblog.post/ti-484976/

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
That's one sharp looking Omega! It's great to hear that the lume still does its part.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I love the watches from this era, shapes are a bit funky but still respectable. Old school cool as I like to call it. Nice watch!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments guys! It's a keeper.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,800 Posts
Love the funky 1970's look of that Omega Dynamic. If the lume is still visibly glowing at 40 imagine how bright it must have been when new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts