WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a new quartz watch, I'm not sure how long I've had it now, maybe 1 month, however I picked it up out of my drawer today to put it on for an event and noticed it was almost exactly 30 minutes slow. Now I know that I set it to the correct time upon purchasing it. I don't know what to make of this? Can this really be normal for a watch in this price range? This is the same watch that I posted about the second hand not lining up 100% on the tick marks however I was told that this is normal for a quartz in this price range, so I did not contact the manufacturer. I am a little disappointed because this is a limited edition watch that I really liked the design of. Beautiful case and lugs and just the right size for my wrist.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I dont know which watch do you have but i had a seiko sportura which the second hand didnt align with the markers most of the time and it kept perfect time always. Also does it have a low battery indicator? like the second hand moving every two seconds, maybe the battery is on its way out.

·
Banned
276 Posts
"This is the same watch that I posted about the second hand not lining up 100% on the tick marks however I was told that this is normal for a quartz in this price range."

Umm, who told you this????

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I dont know which watch do you have but i had a seiko sportura which the second hand didnt align with the markers most of the time and it kept perfect time always. Also does it have a low battery indicator? like the second hand moving every two seconds, maybe the battery is on its way out.
It does not have a low battery indicator. However I THINK that the watches were produced 2 years ago, as I was told and I was able to get one that for some reason they still had at the factory. So maybe the battery is 2 years old and it is dying?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"This is the same watch that I posted about the second hand not lining up 100% on the tick marks however I was told that this is normal for a quartz in this price range."

The WUS members who had responded to my thread seemed to be of the general consensus that this was normal, with some disagreements.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just saw in the other thread your watch is a shinola, so since they are a relatively small company they will surely have good customer service, to me the best bet is to contact them and send them the watch for a service if it was the last stock so you can get it just like it should be. No point in spending that much and not be happy about it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just saw in the other thread your watch is a shinola, so since they are a relatively small company they will surely have good customer service, to me the best bet is to contact them and send them the watch for a service if it was the last stock so you can get it just like it should be. No point in spending that much and not be happy about it.
I will get in contact with them. What is the expected battery life on a watch like this?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I would think 2 years minimum.

I'd carefully set the time and keep an eye on it. See how it's doing every day. I don't think it should vary by more than 1-2 seconds per day. Losing 30 minutes in a month is really bad for a quartz. My quartz Gshock is 15-20 seconds fast per month.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well they should tell you that because it depends on the watch movement and the battery, but being a non chono quartz it should be more than two years but thats just an opinion based on my previous quartz watches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a new quartz watch, I'm not sure how long I've had it now, maybe 1 month, however I picked it up out of my drawer today to put it on for an event and noticed it was almost exactly 30 minutes slow. Now I know that I set it to the correct time upon purchasing it. I don't know what to make of this? Can this really be normal for a watch in this price range? This is the same watch that I posted about the second hand not lining up 100% on the tick marks however I was told that this is normal for a quartz in this price range, so I did not contact the manufacturer. I am a little disappointed because this is a limited edition watch that I really liked the design of. Beautiful case and lugs and just the right size for my wrist.
Did you figure out the problem with your watch? I've got just the same problem.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Ummm everyone? $500 is not where near the range for guaranteed second hand matching the markers. Even my $750 quartz doesn't match all the markers around. Only quartz I have read to match up quite nicely are grand seiko quartz.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you figure out the problem with your watch? I've got just the same problem.
Yes I did. The problem was identified by the customer service that I was storing the watch wear I also store small powerful magnets for my shirt collars. This close proximity affected the electric motor in the watch. Issue has been resolved and the customer service was quite good.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
Yes I did. The problem was identified by the customer service that I was storing the watch wear I also store small powerful magnets for my shirt collars. This close proximity affected the electric motor in the watch. Issue has been resolved and the customer service was quite good.
Yikes! Not sure if you have any mechanical watches, but make sure to keep them away from all magnets. Unless you've got one of the 15,000 gauss Omegas, that is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts