WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Citizen AW1365-19P on Amazon UK at a decent price so decided to treat myself. It was sold by Amazon and not a marketplace seller, and appeared to come from a warehouse in Madrid - not uncommon as Amazon regularly ship from depots in different countries. It arrived yesterday and I was somewhat disappointed when I opened it up.
On the buckle there was a Citizen ticket attached which had a price label stuck on it. This suggests to me that it has been on display somewhere (I'm sure Citizen don't pre-price their watches).
1cit.png

The warranty card in the outer box, rather than being a blank International one, was stamped "Joyeria Vila" who are a Jewelry shop near Madrid and who were selling this watch for 119€ (but now reduced):
2cit.jpg

How this item has come into the posession of Amazon I do not know, but I must admit that it has taken the shine off my purchase. They'll be getting it back forthwith!

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
I found a Citizen AW1365-19P on Amazon UK at a decent price so decided to treat myself. It was sold by Amazon and not a marketplace seller, and appeared to come from a warehouse in Madrid - not uncommon as Amazon regularly ship from depots in different countries. It arrived yesterday and I was somewhat disappointed when I opened it up.
On the buckle there was a Citizen ticket attached which had a price label stuck on it. This suggests to me that it has been on display somewhere (I'm sure Citizen don't pre-price their watches).

The warranty card in the outer box, rather than being a blank International one, was stamped "Joyeria Vila" who are a Jewelry shop near Madrid and who were selling this watch for 119€ (but now reduced):

How this item has come into the posession of Amazon I do not know, but I must admit that it has taken the shine off my purchase. They'll be getting it back forthwith!
Is something wrong with the watch? Is it in brand new condition? Does it have wear marks?

If its fine and the price is right why not keep it?

Short answer to what likely happened is that if various people are selling the same "product" that "product" is grouped together in the Amazon warehouse. When someone orders that "product" to be "fulfilled" by Amazon it is pulled from the stock in the Amazon warehouse. They don't pay attention to which sellers stock it comes out of. The problem is sometimes fakes get mixed in and a seller who sent in a genuine product can have trouble because Amazon pulled the fake from the pool of that product rather then the one the seller actually sent to Amazon. Buyer gets a fake and the seller has to deal with it. Many sellers have left Amazon due to this and many other reasons. Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/fba-inventory-mixing/272629

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/does-amazon-mix-its-own-stock-in-with-fba-sellers/85235

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/fba-mixed-my-inventory-and-my-return-rate-reached-20-need-your-advices-here/427867/3

·
Registered
207 Posts
Knobbly, I agree with your sentiment. If I were in your situation -- I got the impression that I was buying a watch directly from Amazon but got from elsewhere -- I would certainly return the watch for refund.

As mplsabdullah mentioned, one needs to be careful that the item being bought is actually sold by Amazon itself, not merely being "fulfilled" on its behalf or shipped by Amazon. In past, a thing being shipped by Amazon meant that Amazon itself was the seller. Not anymore.

Another thing to note, in USA Amazon.com is an authorized Citizen dealer as of Jun 19, 2020 ; Citizen USA will honor the warranty for a watch directly sold by Amazon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The watch I ordered was definitely "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon."

If you buy something new you expect it to be just that - new, not secondhand or ex-display stock. I used to have a small shop (computer stuff) and would never sell any ex-display stock as "new".

The watch is currently winging its way back to Amazon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the saga of this watch continued:

After sending this one back to Amazon, I found another advertised by Citywatches (www.citywatches.co.uk) in Manchester UK who had them in stock slightly cheaper than Amazon so I ordered one. I then did a search on here for Citywatches (should've searched first - lesson learned) and found out that they are actually in Singapore, not Manchester and appear not to be an authorised dealer. I quickly emailed them and managed to cancel the order and receive a refund.
The following day, what pops up on Amazon? Yep, this watch but £20 cheaper than before. Surely they would get it right this time, and the one I had returned hadn't had time to get back to Spain, so I ordered one. When it arrived it also had a price label on it and a warranty card stamped from Joyeria Vila near Madrid!
This one has also gone back and I've given up. I've bought myself this instead, and NOT from Amazon!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
What exactly is the big deal? So the watch is stamped by a AD? If the watch looks new with all the bits and bobs then that should be good enough. Plus you have a stamped warranty card from a Citizen AD which is not something you get when you buy a watch from Amazon. Amazon is not a Citizen AD even though they buy from Citizen. Try getting Citizen to honor a warranty repair on a Amazon bought citizen watch.

But that stamped warranty card is golden, you fill it out and you get the 4-5 years of warranty

What probably happened is that that Citizen watch AD Joyeria Vila bought a few of these and stamped all the warranty cards(which stay in the box) and priced the watches. Then found no interest from customers so they sent them back for credit or another model. Citizen looked them over and saw all was good and shipped them to the next customer. They most likely missed the tag and the stamped book or they noticed them and sold the lot to Amazon for a good price. If it was me I would have kept it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What exactly is the big deal?
The big deal is that I believe I have been sold ex-display stock when I should have been purchasing a new item.

But that stamped warranty card is golden, you fill it out and you get the 4-5 years of warranty
Not really. The card is stamped by Joyeria Vila, but you also need a corresponding invoice to go with the card. How would I explain the Joyeria Vila card with an Amazon UK invoice? The Citizen UK website only shows UK AD's, so I would likely have had to register on the Spanish website. Try explaining the mismatched warranty card / invoice to the Spanish if I had an issue!

... Joyeria Vila bought a few of these and stamped all the warranty cards(which stay in the box) and priced the watches.
Why would you attach a price label to each individual watch? You would attach a price label to the outer box, not the item in the box unless you were going to use them out of the box for display purposes. Labelling each individual item then placing it back in its box would be a complete waste of time.

Citizen looked them over and saw all was good and shipped them to the next customer. They most likely missed the tag and the stamped book ...
That just doesn't happen. If these items had gone back to the original supplier (Citizen I assume) they would've been thoroughly inspected and repackaged as necessary before being sold on to another customer as "new". I recently spent 8 weeks working in a facility that does this very process for mobile phones and they miss nothing; they certainly wouldn't miss a label and stamped documentation - twice! (think the iPhone you've just bought, all nicely packaged and shrinkwrapped, is really "new" and you are the first person to open it?).

If it was me I would have kept it.
Well Amazon UK now have at least 2 in stock if you're interested (y)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The way that Amazon co-mingles stock from various suppliers is absolutely concerning. There are many reports of counterfeit items of all types being sold by Amazon; all items that are “the same” are stored and sold as though they are interchangeable. So even items that are “sold and shipped by Amazon” might be counterfeit and sourced by a third-party.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts