WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sort of impulse purchased a "new" SMPc from a grey market dealer. It arrived quickly, and the price was right, but after I sized the bracelet and was checking it out, I noticed it has a blue dot on the caseback, instead of the expected red. As far as I know, Omega, or their service centers, put a blue dot on the caseback if they service it. I know it's a grey market purchase, but it was supposed to be new, not serviced? So, I got out the loupe and checked it out VERY carefully...

I can't find any flaw whatsoever. No scratches, tool marks on the back, used bracelet screws, nothing. The bezel and date are aligned perfectly, everything on the dial is perfect etc. I wore it all weekend and it was +1 second.

At first I was going to return it, but now I'm thinking I'm just going to keep it. I mean, maybe it had a problem from new and got serviced? I'm sure it was never worn, so I don't think it's a return that the dealer serviced and sold as new, but who knows I guess...

What would you guys do? Is there any reason a new watch would have a blue dot? The serial number is 870xxxxx which seems to indicate recent production?

A couple of pics: photo 1.JPG
photo 3.JPG

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
What does the dealer you bought it from say about the blue dot? To me it's not new if it has the blue dot - should be a red dot coming from the factory, so this has at the very least been back for a full service...

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Perhaps you may bargain for a discount because of that? Imagine seller may be willing to give you a discount rather than dealing with return as probably any other informed buyer might do a similar claim and they might be forced to reduce the price to get it sold. If perfect in every other way that's what I would do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GregBe

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does the dealer you bought it from say about the blue dot? To me it's not new if it has the blue dot - should be a red dot coming from the factory, so this has at the very least been back for a full service...
They didn't respond yet, but I just sent them a mail last night. I don't expect much aside from an offer to return it. But maybe they'll have some explanation.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If they advertised as brand new and did not disclose the fact that it was serviced... I would be furious and demand a full refund.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps you may bargain for a discount because of that? Imagine seller may be willing to give you a discount rather than dealing with return as probably any other informed buyer might do a similar claim and they might be forced to reduce the price to get it sold. If perfect in every other way that's what I would do!

Yeah, that's a good idea. Maybe I can get a little something back. Because I'm worried if I exchange it, the actual new one won't be this good and then I'll be salty. I'll bring up a discount after I get a response. Considering the price I paid, should something go wrong with it, I could eat the cost of another service and still be in the "good discount from an AD" price range, so I'm not too worried, but it's a bit of a strange situation...

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
It has a two year warranty or the original warranty which ever is longer. I would try to get a little something for the dishonesty. I would also want the warranty repair ticket just to be sure Omega put the blue dot. Could have been anyone opening it and putting a blue dot just to cover their tracks.

For what its worth had two watches serviced by Omega, I dealt with them directly. One had a blue dot, the other did not. I contact Omega they said I could return it for a blue dot or they would note it in the repair ticket. I was good with that no need to send it back.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So, I talked with the dealer and they didn't seem too sure about the dots, or know anything about it really. They are happy to have me send it back for a refund and very helpful in that way, but the guy didn't really seem to believe that it had been serviced or know how that could happen. My guess after talking to him is that they really don't know what happened because of how they get their stock. The original, Omega authorized dealer could have sent it for work at some point and then sold it to the GM dealer as new and they would never be any the wiser as long as it was minty enough to pass their inspection (which this one certainly was)

I'm of the opinion that if someone what going to pull something sneaky, they would replace the red dot with another red dot. Because the watch is absolutely perfect, nobody would have ever questioned it. Maybe if a watchmaker opened it, they would be able to tell it had been opened before, but your average guy, even with a loupe, wouldn't notice anything from the outside.

Still mulling this over. I don't really blame the GM dealer, they seemed genuinely surprised and were happy to help me get a return (can't exchange unless I want to wait for a while, they are currently out of stock on the blue) The price was just very slightly above what a decent used piece goes for here so I guess I'm still better off.... It's more that I bought a new watch, but it seems it's been tampered with. But then again, are grey market watches really "new?" They're really not - a new watch has a factory warranty!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Well tampered in a good and official way by Omega. If you like it, just keep it.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Understand your view and suggest you keep it.

I don't agree that a red dot would be used as one could tell if the dot was replaced, seeing a red replacement would be bad. Seeing a blue replacement is ok.

I do think your dealer probably bought it not knowing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Understand your view and suggest you keep it.

I don't agree that a red dot would be used as one could tell if the dot was replaced, seeing a red replacement would be bad. Seeing a blue replacement is ok.

I do think your dealer probably bought it not knowing.
Yeah, that's true. If it had a red dot that didn't look legit, it would be going back right away. But for me, I doubt I would be able to tell if the red dot were real or not. If the dot were red, and the same color as the red dot on my Speedy, I'd not have given it a second thought.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
How do they not know about the red/blue dots when they sell them all the time? Yes, they are issuing a refund but why pay money for a per-serviced watch. I'd rather return it for a refund and take business elsewhere. Sounds fishy to me. In no way, I would accept that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do they not know about the red/blue dots when they sell them all the time? Yes, they are issuing a refund but why pay money for a per-serviced watch. I'd rather return it for a refund and take business elsewhere. Sounds fishy to me. In no way, I would accept that.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm a bit miffed about it, but I think I'm still better off to keep it and just not mess with these grey market pieces anymore unless it's like this, where the price being so low makes it easier to accept a few shenanigans ... because there's no clear ancestry for the piece, so one never really knows what they bought. I'm not really surprised that the dealer doesn't really know about the dots. They sell tons of brands and have probably never dealt with an actual Omega service center. I doubt they've ever paid attention to the types of markings each brand uses (if others even do this kind of thing?)

After giving it a lot of thought, let's say I return it and then buy it from someone else, there's still no way to be sure. As far as I can tell, I'm gonna pay about 100-200 dollars more from a different GM dealer and then I'm taking the chance of getting a watch that isn't as good as this one. But it's still gonna be a grey market piece with no factory warranty. Or I could pay 1000 dollars more and buy from an AD with a good discount. Then I can be sure of getting a new watch in perfect condition, because I can go inspect it first, but the money is a lot higher.

If I keep this one, it may self destruct and require costly repairs putting it on par with AD pricing, BUT, it may have been serviced by Omega themselves or a skilled independent and be in perfect condition. There's no way to know at the moment. That's a gamble. I'd say a watch that was worked on by a careful watchmaker is no more likely to fail than a factory fresh piece. So, I'm gambling that a careful watchmaker put the blue dot there, and not some hack. The dealer I bought it from does have a warranty that they will honor, so I guess if it breaks in some really horrendous way, I could send it to them...

At the end of the day, I'm still really happy with the watch. If someone had offered me a minty used watch at the price I paid, I would have done it, so I guess the "new" thing isn't that important. After I wear it a few weeks, the clasp is gonna be demolished anyway. I'm really hard on clasps...

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Good rationale! Guess you made your choice, enjoy it in good health !

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It seems like you've made up your mind bro. That's cool man, to each their own. I agree with everything you said. I would imagine a grey dealer selling tons of these watches should have known (and probably know and lying) about the watch being serviced. They get their watches from somewhere... For me, I can't accept being lied to especially when it was advertised as being brand new. That's the deal breaker for me. There are plenty of ADs and online re-sellers (not grey market) that sell at competitive prices that I could take my business to. They won't ever tell me that they didn't know about the "blue dot." That is absurd.

·
Sponsor
13,166 Posts
Blue dot means its been serviced by Omega, red dot means its unserviced by anyone. The question is now: is the price you paid for worth an Omega serviced used watch in the condition you have it?

FWIW, non-new watches may also come with the original Omega warranty if there is any left.

EDIT: omega service includes a polish, so even if it's flawless it could have been a watch that was worn (if any of this matters to you)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd probably keep it. If the entire watch is flawless there's probably a good chance it's never been worn. I'm sure people with knowledge of the industry can advise the likelihood of this, but perhaps it goes out, dealer finds fault with it before it's sold, sends it back to be fixed, and from there ends up in the grey market.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Given all the problems they have had with the movement in this particular model, it is a good thing that the dot is blue. With the relatively high probability that you would have to send back for service a red dot version anyway, someone has saved you the trouble. Continue to monitor, but +1 over the weekend is a good start.

Enjoy your watch.

heb

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I'd keep it too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts