WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, First official thread started so I thought I might as well talk about my first polish job on my newly acquired second hand Seiko Sawtooth.

Bought it from a fellow in Germany from a different forum, arrived in respectable time (8 business days).

I picked it up from the post office this morning, duty free (score). I brought it back to work and got to work.

The watch itself looks like it had never been cleaned. I dismantled the entire watch, and found several aesthetic problems that I had to tackle,

Over tightened hex bolts (seen at the tips of the hexagonal)

After the fix (I just lapped down the top of the bolt to a mirror flat finish)

I didn't take any pics prior to cleaning because I didn't feel like spoiling peoples appetites.

So after I threw the bands in my ultrasonic, I took the watch with a toothbrush and cleaned all the crud from every crack and crevasse I can find.

Ended up with a fairly good looking watch.

So, time to tackle the watch band.

I taped off the center pivot links because those are high polish, but Scratched to kingdom come.

After Some gentle Scotch Brite rubbing I took off the tape, and I polished the centre pivot links with my polishing and lapping wheels at work and my and I ended up with this.

And here she is (I re-polished the visible shroud face between 12 to 3 and 6 to 9 with my high polish compound).

I'm now a happy Sawtooth Owner.

·
Registered
391 Posts
That looks very nice. The crystal is probably scratched up too, as I think can be seen in the last pic. Just get some polywatch and that will come right out.

BTW, a few pics are still dead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks very nice. The crystal is probably scratched up too, as I think can be seen in the last pic. Just get some polywatch and that will come right out.

BTW, a few pics are still dead.
That was the saving grace of this watch, not as single scratch on the glass,
i think you are seeing reflection.

On a side note, i don't know whats going on with PHOTBUCKET, all my links keep breaking.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Nice. Very slick.

There's a stain discoloration or something on one end of the clasp. What is that? Is there a way to remove it?

When I looked at this thread earlier about half of the pics were broken, but now they're all showing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice. Very slick.

There's a stain discoloration or something on one end of the clasp. What is that? Is there a way to remove it?

When I looked at this thread earlier about half of the pics were broken, but now they're all showing.
Yea that,
I'm a jeweller, I used my polishing compounds to give the pivot links a high polish finish.
I then put the band into my ultrasonic for a good 10 minutes,
I then used my steamer to blow out any residual polishing compound, and i rested the band on the steamer to dry,
I guess i didn't get all the polishing compound off because that dried and stained,
I noticed just before i left work and i dunked my band back into the ultrasonic and it removed that stain.
I didn't have enough time to retake the pics.

Thanks for the feedback though.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Great watch and great job bring it back to beautiful!

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Nice work! Refinishing mixed brushed and polished surfaces is tricky; you did it well.

~Sherry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the wonderful encouraging words guys, great supportive forum.
It drives me crazy when i see scratched up watches, or just general filth in the watch.
I'm just glad the watch turned out the way it did.
If i have anymore fun projects ill post pics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts