WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a watch a while ago on ebay. It was supposed to be a 72091, but it turns out to be a 72094. As far as I know, based on the information I've found on the Wenger's homepage, is that there are no official wenger watches with that product number.

The watch stops half an hour after I start it by turning the crown.

Here is a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370244561702

·
11,864 Posts
Does it say 72094 the back? A lot of Wengers say (for example) 720XX on the back. Since the same case back is used for multiple watches. I usually have put in numbers til I find the right combo for my watch.

Next...is it broken? Why do you turn the crown after half hour to make it stop? I don 't understand what's wrong..... It's a quartz watch. If you pull the crown it will stop. Top One is usually reputable....there have been a few threads on them, do a search.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Looks legit to me. If you Google "Wenger 72091" and click on Images, you'll find a ton of photos of your watch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it says 72094 on the back. Which is kind of strange since Wenger has not made a watch with that product number. Sadly I can't find any pictures of the back of the watch online to compare with my backside.

I thought this was a battery driven watch? Or is it a watch I have to wear so it doesn't stop?

Sixtysix: It didn't work when it arrived. I turned the crown round and pushed it back in and it worked for 30min, before it stopped again. This was when it layed on the table.

·
11,864 Posts
I looked and found several of these listed in eBays around the world, it say a vintage mechanical watch in some. So I think you may have a hand winder there not a quartz. The model is older so not much info on web. Try winding it, does it make a fine clicking noise as you wind it? Give it 30-40 turns (not full turns) but winds and see what she does. Send it back if you are not happy. Hope this helps. If you can;t send it back and it does work (handwind) let me know I MAY BE INTERESTED. I love hand winders.:-!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you please explain me what a wind is? (Sorry for my bad watch-vocabulary, is there a list of watch related words?)

·
11,864 Posts
A wind is when you turn the crown with your thumb and index finger, it's not a full revolution. Do you hear or feel the ratcheting as you turn it? You need to old it right up to your ear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the explanation, sixtysix.
Unfortunately there are no ratcheting feel, or no clicking sound when I wind the watch. When I start the watch by winding it, it stops after 55minutes every time (tried 3 times).

I've sent a mail to Top One. I guess I have to return the watch and get it repaired/replaced.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sorry to thread jacking abit here
Ive read somewhere else that this model goes as Wenger Aerograph 822 as well. Any idea if there are any diffs there at all but the model number?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
DO NOT HAND WIND THIS WATCH.
It is a quartz, and hand winding it may damage it depending on which position you are pulling out the crown to.
Pull out the crown to set the time and date, then pull the crown all the way in. It should run fine, otherwise:
1) it needs a new battery
2) It is broken

·
Premium Member
8,888 Posts
Yes it says 72094 on the back. Which is kind of strange since Wenger has not made a watch with that product number. Sadly I can't find any pictures of the back of the watch online to compare with my backside.

I thought this was a battery driven watch? Or is it a watch I have to wear so it doesn't stop?

Sixtysix: It didn't work when it arrived. I turned the crown round and pushed it back in and it worked for 30min, before it stopped again. This was when it layed on the table.
does the second hand sweep (auto)or jump in 1 second increments? (quartz)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First I'd like to say that it is a fantastic forum. Thanks for all the responses!

Father Time: It has the same bracelet as the Wenger Aerograph 822. So it might be that watch instead. I have a hard time finding the difference between Aerograph 822 and 72091 , except the bracelet.

TimeSeeker: Thank you for the information. My crown has 3 positions.
Position 1: Nothing happens when you turn the crown
Position 2: When turned clockwhise: Adjusts day, When turned counter-clockwhise: Adjusts date
Position 3: Adjusts time.

I can't get it to start unless I turn it when the crown is in position 2 or 3.

James Haury: It jumps in 1 second increments, so I guess it is a quarts yes.

Anyway I sent a mail to Top One:

I bought a wenger 72091 from you. When it arrived, it didn't work. I winded the crown to see if it started, but it stopped after 55 min. (I have tried 3 times. Same result every time.) It also says 72094 on the back of it. I wonder if I can return it for repair/replacement.

The answer:
Dear Customer:

We aagree but, You can return the watch for an exchange as long as you have not used the item. It also has to be with in the 30-day policy. please make a copy of the packing list with a note attached stating the problem and that you would like an exchange and mail it to the address below. Please pack it well and insure the package before you send it.

*** Please have in mind that used merchandise has to be send to the manufacturer,There will be no refund or exchanges on use merchandise. it would be send back to the sender.

I haven't used it really. I bought it in august, so it's more than 30 days. I know I should've been faster, but I have a bad habit of bein slow with returns :)

Anyways I haven't tested to change the battery. Is this something I can do myself?
And can you help simplify this:
"
There will be no refund or exchanges on use merchandise. it would be send back to the sender."

I didn't understand the sentence. Sorry for my broken english reading skills ;)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I position 1, can you further push the crown in and screw it in?
If this doesnt do it either, then you probably have a dead battery.
It is easy to replace, but if you have never done it before, it can be done at most watch shops and it is inexpensive.

P.S.
You have had the watch too long and it is probably considered 'used' (it is used since you have tried it on), so I dont think you can get a refund.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To me it looks like they are setting you up to screw you. If you send it back they are going to say it is outside of the 30 day period and you have worn it.

Did you pay for the item with Paypal? If so, check this out and file a claim if you think it makes sense:

What is PayPal Buyer Protection?
If you bought something on eBay but didn't receive it or you received something that's significantly not as described, PayPal can help.

PayPal Buyer Protection will cover eligible transactions for the full purchase price plus original shipping charges. (Some purchases, including vehicles in the Motors category, capital equipment in the Business & Industrial category, and Real Estate, aren't eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.)

To qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection:
Use PayPal to purchase an eligible item on eBay.
Pay for the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments are not eligible.
Send the payment using the Pay Now button or the eBay invoice.
Let the seller know there's a problem with the transaction by opening a dispute in the Resolution Center within 45 days of the payment date. Then, escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the date you opened the dispute.
Keep your PayPal account in good standing.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
They certainly do not have the best feedback in the world and quite a few "watch did not work" complaints. However I would take it to someone that deals with changing out watch batteries (most jewelery stores can do this and you do not need a watchmaker) and have the battery replaced. Most will charge you around $5.00 (at least that is what they charge here).

If that doesn't fix the problem, then I would politely ask the seller to work with you. He may give you a problem if you changed the watch battery (the item is now altered) but it's what I would do. As to waiting too long, well unfortunately you can only blame yourself for that one :-(

Try to stay calm with the seller. Leave negative feedback as a last resort. If the battery fixes the problem, leave them positive with a note about having to change the battery.

My 2 ticks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
TimeSeeker: No, I can't push it further in.

sdclams: Thank you very much for the information. Unfortunately I am too late, but for later purchases on ebay, it will be very usefull.

geckobros:
Leave negative feedback as a last resort. If the battery fixes the problem, leave them positive with a note about having to change the battery.
Will do! Unfortunately I am always lazy with these kind of things, but hopefully it's just a dead battery :).

As for replacing the battery. I would like to try it myself for fun. I saw a howto on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm9AZwtTCK8

Is it really that easy?

Edit: The watch has been working for over one hour now, and I haven't done anything! Updating in a few hours :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Bomp thx for the possible reason for the model number back there mate!

So, Ive been checking around at bay lately for the very watch myself, and then I stumbled upon this
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Wenger-Swiss-Army-Aerograph-Date-Date-Watch-72091_W0QQitemZ220509077062QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item33575d7e46

Just like one OP has, basically, as far as I understand it.

Then something that is quite odd about that model hit me, look at the day!
it says MAR I mean LOL, as far as I understand, there is no day that begins with MAR in the first place! SO could it be that 72094 is like... I dunno, sibling model that is targeted at german public or something maybe? With german day instead of english ones, or something?

OP, do us a favor and check it out! :-! and rotate that crown one more time!

·
Registered
944 Posts

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Then something that is quite odd about that model hit me, look at the day!
it says MAR I mean LOL, as far as I understand, there is no day that begins with MAR in the first place! SO could it be that 72094 is like... I dunno, sibling model that is targeted at german public or something maybe? With german day instead of english ones, or something?
Most day/date movements from Switzerland will have English and either German or French, I have a Wenger quartz model with this. Purchased in the USA, too.

BTW, "MAR" is a French date wheel, not German.

-s-

·
Registered
365 Posts
Most day/date movements from Switzerland will have English and either German or French, I have a Wenger quartz model with this. Purchased in the USA, too.

BTW, "MAR" is a French date wheel, not German.

-s-
Ah I see, thanks for the clarification there!
Well, the one and only day/date I have is actually an Omega model which lacks the very thing you describe there, so I didn`t know you know...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts