WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I bought a very impressive homage to the Yachtmaster that I think they called the 'Yachtsman' (or is it vice-versa?)... that was a positive experience; only perhaps a 3 week wait.

On Feb 21, I bought their homage to the PO as a gift to my nephew, and I received a confirmation from them of order received:

collector_898 <[email protected]>
Feb 21

to me

DEAR SIR/MADAM,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PURCHASE ! WE WILL SHIP THE ITEM TO YOU ASAP.HOPE TO DEAL WITH YOU AGAIN VERY SOON.

BEST REGARDS
ALPHA WATCH
--------------------------------------------
2014年2月22日 星期六

After 5 weeks, I inquired if the item had shipped. There was no response. A month later (61 days after payment), they sent me another message that they received my money, but they couldn't tell which watch I ordered because of an order/internet 'glitch'. I direct responded to that e-mail (possibly this is the problem) numerous times, but I still have not received any responses.

Today, I send an 'enquiry' from their website, so hopefully, I will get some response from them about my request for a refund, since it is now well past my nephew's birthday...

Anyone else experience this sort of problem with Alpha, or is this a 'one-off'?

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that Alpha is a crook or bunch thereof.

I sent back a defective bezel for a refund after they assured me that they would refund my money (but not the original shipping). It's been two months now, and several e-mails. No money, and no response. I should have kept the bezel and given it to someone when they damaged their Alpha PO.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've come to the conclusion that Alpha is a crook or bunch thereof.

I sent back a defective bezel for a refund after they assured me that they would refund my money (but not the original shipping). It's been two months now, and several e-mails. No money, and no response. I should have kept the bezel and given it to someone when they damaged their Alpha PO.
Hmmmm, that's not too encouraging. I'm hoping that because I was always responding directly to the e-mail address they had sent the confirmation from, that perhaps that was the wrong address to write to them.

Did you ever use their web 'Enquiry' link for communication?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
hmmm...I have bought no less than 7 watches ( or maybe 8) from them over the last 4 years, with no issues what so ever. Sent few email inquiries with quick response.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I bought two watches, one was 2 weeks the other 3 weeks, no real issue with them then but communication, i kept asking them for a tracking number but when they replied but no tracking number.
You have 45 days to open a dispute, so next time, around 40 days open a dispute with paypal, then you have 20 days to open a claim, so if you do this, that up to 65 days for them to get you the watch.

I was thinking of getting one of those handwriting pam style chronos but i have been hearing a lot of negativity here about them.

Edit

I also noticed there website is a bit wonky and the first link works then the next one does not, if you refresh the page before you open the new link it works.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I once bought an Alpha Seamaster from them. They didn't have one available so I had to wait for it to be built. They missed the target date they set themselves by several weeks. I sent quite a few emails during this time. Some were just ignored, but others were responded to quickly, but I felt the reasons given for the continuous delays (like Chinese holidays, etc.) were just pathetic excuses and they weren't exactly rushing things! I would say if you sent an email and you don't get a response within 24 hours, then you can probably assume you won't get one. It did turn up eventually, though.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OP Update: Well, finally, after 3 1/2 months, the watch arrived!

Strange since the last I heard from Alpha (4 weeks ago), they told me they didn't know which watch I had ordered. Because it had been so long, and it was to be a gift, I asked for a refund. I never got a response to that request, or 3 more after that; instead the watch arrived in the mail a few days ago. So, they must've done their own research to find out which watch I had ordered, and shipped it out.

Turns out, it's a pretty good watch for the money ($100). My nephew's birthday has long passed (I found something else to get him when the watch didn't show), so I'll probably just keep it for myself! I had an extra Hirsch strap that, I think, looks pretty good with it:

timekeeping was about 25 to 30 seconds fast per day, so I pulled off the case back and adjusted it. Now, it's -1 to -5/day.

Sent from a Point-in-Time using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm surprised that anything showed up. If you ever have problems, your emails will be ignored. I don't mess with Alpha anymore.
Yes, it appears that if you have to rely on any communication with Alpha after the purchase, you may as well 'fo-get-about-it'..

However, the watches (if/when they come) still seem to be an excellent bang-for-the-buck...

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
I'm glad you got it finally. Not a bad watch for the price but probably not worth the headache of having to deal with Alpha. At least it's working so you don't have to deal with them again.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Alpha are the perfect watches to buy used. When they're good, they're really good (esp. for less than $200) but when they don't work, or when CS doesn't answer, I can't imagine how frustrating that must be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Alex.

Until this experience, I had always heard good things about Alpha. It seems that it's their communication inconsistencies that seem to be their biggest downfall...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Glad the watch finally arrived, crappy service granted. But still a pretty good quality watch for the price, right? ;)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if all these Far East companies are just a few people in a room banging watches out for all they are worth trying to keep up with demand. Or if they are "proper" companies as we know. This type of scenario is so common these days. Look at Tao and Parnis and you hear the same thing all the time.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if all these Far East companies are just a few people in a room banging watches out for all they are worth trying to keep up with demand. Or if they are "proper" companies as we know. This type of scenario is so common these days. Look at Tao and Parnis and you hear the same thing all the time.
I understand Parnis quality is hit-or-miss, CS the same. Tao International CS seems to be much better, and the quality of workmanship seems high (from my two watches, and others experiences).

I agree with Perdensosi that buying pre-owned ones (if you can find them) can avoid alot of those headaches, and you can find some amazing quality at good prices...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts