WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my 1st Breitling today, but not the one I was planning on.... **New Photos Added**

Well, it finally happened, I joined the club. :-d

Went to my AD today to buy my first Breitling, and I was 100% sure I was going to get the Skyland, as I had asked them to reserve it for me a couple of days earlier.

I was looking at it and was quite pleased, but then I asked the "fatal" question: "Could I also see a Super Avenger?"

The manager brought me a SA on a bracelet with a black dial and I was struck by its presence. Must say it looked a lot better live than in a lot of photos I've seen, and that doesn't happen very often to me.

So I spent about half an hour comparing them, moving them from wrist to wrist, asked her if she thought that it's too big for me, and looked at it in the mirror.
Finally, I decided that the Super Avenger will be my first Breitling.

I really like the white subdials, the big logo and the spacious dial.

The only thing now is, to wear it and enjoy it, which I obviously am doing at this very moment.

There's just one thing, I've gone through a couple of forums and read all the threads on the SA I could find, and found that about 70% of people say they think it's too big.

Now I not exactly a small guy, but not a giant either. My height is 189 centimeters (6.2 feet) and I weigh about 110 kilograms (242.5 lbs), but my wrist isn't really extremely wide at 18 cm (7.08 inches). I know that the most important thing is that I like the watch and how it wears, and I do, the only thing I need to get used to is the weight, because it's quite a hefty piece of kit at 240 grams (0.52 lbs)

I would still really appreciate your opinion though, for a man of my size and wrist diameter as stated above, is the Super Avenger a risky move and could look a bit inappropriate and how big are other SA owners on this forum?

Thanks for your inputs.

Kind regards,

David ;-)

·
Registered
206 Posts
70% of people say they think it's too big....
David ;-)
...from my point of view...

I'm 175cm and 96kg in weight (0% fat) and my wrist is 8.2 inches.
My heaviest watch is over 300g and after that I was surprised that SA is feeling light on my wrist.
About the size - B SA is watch with largest diametar I have but for me SA is very comfortable.

I wouldn't pay to much attention what other people say because we all have different opinion and taste.

Give you one example.... my sister likes ONLY ONE of all of my watches and that's the smallest one - it is only 39mm. For most of my other watches she says that they are so big that I can hang them on the wall like kitchen clock.

You have a excellent watch.

regards

·
Registered
299 Posts
Beard,
0% fat does not exsist! Im 170cm and 61.5 kilo and measure exactly 13.5% fat content. (im an athlete so I know these things.....) Otherwise I agree with your advise about taking advice from others. If the watch fits you then enjoy it, big or small.
pete

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. Here's a quick wristshot I made with my cell phone, it's all I've got at the moment, will post better pics later.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi David,

Nice watch and a great choice :-!
Its looks fine on your wrist,others don't have to wear it,
so as long as you feel comfortable then just enjoy your Breitling SA

Cheers Lee

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your kind words, Lee.

It's interesting how these Super Avengers are still pretty hard to come by it seems, in Europe and America. The manager told me that she had been waiting for it for 9 months and that it arrived less than a week ago and I was the second person to try it on.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
David, what a great first Breitling! Actually, it was my first too. It's not too big, you will get used to it. I know people who go back and forth between 47mm Panerais and 38mm Rolexes on a day-to-day basis. I've never gotten as many nice comments on watches as I do with Breitlings. My wrist is 7.25" and it looks and feels fine!

Beard - what watch is it that makes the Super Avenger feel light!!??

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
David, what a great first Breitling! Actually, it was my first too. It's not too big, you will get used to it. I know people who go back and forth between 47mm Panerais and 38mm Rolexes on a day-to-day basis. I've never gotten as many nice comments on watches as I do with Breitlings. My wrist is 7.25" and it looks and feels fine!
Thank you, Greg! ;-)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good for you David, by the sounds of it you've got a unique watch there in Slovenia.At least you know ther won't be several people walking down the street with a SA on :-!

Lee

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good for you David, by the sounds of it you've got a unique watch there in Slovenia.At least you know ther won't be several people walking down the street with a SA on :-!

Lee
Thanks, funny you should mention that though, because I rarely see people with Breitlings over here, but just a couple of weeks ago I saw a guy with a SA on his wrist, it had a white dial and he had it on a black rubber strap. :) Looked very cool.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi David, congratulations on the SA. As a matter of fact I just bought my Breitling SA 3 hours ago. Actually my wife got it for me for Christmas so I can't wear it yet :(. I got the SS white face 2008 model with the large wings and silver subdials. I'm about 6 feet tall and 230 pounds and have a 7 inch wrist.

I was debating breitling vs. rolex for about 6 months now and the only rolex I was leaning towards was the GMT Master II. After going to my AD here last week I tried on the GMT and it was nice. I then went over to the Breitling case to look at Navitimer World. I had discounted the SA since it didn't really look that different on the website or in the Chronolog. The SA grabbed my eye in the case and I had to try it on last Thursday. You know you've got your watch when it 'speaks' to you. I thought that whole watch 'speaking'/'zen' stuff was corny until the SA 'spoke'.

I dwelled on it over the weekend (not knowing how hard they were to come by) and decided that I'd show my wife this afternoon. We went into the AD an hour before closing and I tried it on for her. Her reaction was 'wow it looks much better in real life'. The AD mentioned that he had a several month lead time on the two he had (one black and one white face). We still decided that we'd leave and think about it since we're not talking about chump change here.

We sat in my car for about 15 minutes and she told me that I needed to buy since I was stuck just watching who was coming in and out of the AD and I should get it before it's gone.

We walked back in and within 30 minutes I was sized and out the door. Now, I just need to wait two more weeks to open it. :)

I'd have to second everyone here, the size is a matter of personal taste, if it feels good and looks good then you should go for it. It's kinda funny, three guys walked into AD while I was paying and they were looking for Evolutions and Chrono Avengers. The one guy asked the AD if watches are getting 'too' big. The AD replied that most of their clients coming in now adays are wanting the 'larger' models greater than 46mm.

Good luck with yours and it looks awesome on your wrist. Take care.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Congrats Anon, I think you made the right choice - choosing from the heart, what sings to you. The SA is very versatile. While you can't easily jog with it, you can use the chrono and the rotating bezel. The water resistance is excellent too for a chrono whose pushers are not screw-down. And the lume is quite good too. I've found all these elements to be very reliable, and it keeps quite good time. Again, congrats and wear it in health!

·
Registered
939 Posts
looks fine from over here plus so long as your comfy with it, shouldn't matter if other people think it's big ... a truly great choice indeed and welcome to the club :-!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Beard - what watch is it that makes the Super Avenger feel light!!??
Well - I didn't want to write this because most of people here will perhaps try to kill me but...

My Invicta Subaqua Noma II chrono (ETA 7750) with ss bracelet sized for my wrist is heavier than SA.
SA bracelet is light comparing to Subaqua one.

Sad fact is that I compared SA with Subaqua for last 14 days and SA was three times faster in this period.

The truth is that my SA (2 weeks old) is double over COSC spec and Subaqua was regulary checked and serviced by my Breitling AD.

He's a top man for the job (also takes care of my IWC), I know him for more than 25y so he'll get SA on the right track.

regards

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi David, congratulations on the SA. As a matter of fact I just bought my Breitling SA 3 hours ago. Actually my wife got it for me for Christmas so I can't wear it yet :(. I got the SS white face 2008 model with the large wings and silver subdials. I'm about 6 feet tall and 230 pounds and have a 7 inch wrist.

I was debating breitling vs. rolex for about 6 months now and the only rolex I was leaning towards was the GMT Master II. After going to my AD here last week I tried on the GMT and it was nice. I then went over to the Breitling case to look at Navitimer World. I had discounted the SA since it didn't really look that different on the website or in the Chronolog. The SA grabbed my eye in the case and I had to try it on last Thursday. You know you've got your watch when it 'speaks' to you. I thought that whole watch 'speaking'/'zen' stuff was corny until the SA 'spoke'.

I dwelled on it over the weekend (not knowing how hard they were to come by) and decided that I'd show my wife this afternoon. We went into the AD an hour before closing and I tried it on for her. Her reaction was 'wow it looks much better in real life'. The AD mentioned that he had a several month lead time on the two he had (one black and one white face). We still decided that we'd leave and think about it since we're not talking about chump change here.

We sat in my car for about 15 minutes and she told me that I needed to buy since I was stuck just watching who was coming in and out of the AD and I should get it before it's gone.

We walked back in and within 30 minutes I was sized and out the door. Now, I just need to wait two more weeks to open it. :)

I'd have to second everyone here, the size is a matter of personal taste, if it feels good and looks good then you should go for it. It's kinda funny, three guys walked into AD while I was paying and they were looking for Evolutions and Chrono Avengers. The one guy asked the AD if watches are getting 'too' big. The AD replied that most of their clients coming in now adays are wanting the 'larger' models greater than 46mm.

Good luck with yours and it looks awesome on your wrist. Take care.
Thanks Anon and congratulations on your new SA as well! I had a similar experience to yours, regarding a watch “speaking” to me. I read once that you should the get the watch that not only speaks to you, but screams at you. And the SA did just that for me.

Enjoy every minute of it, I’m sure you will. :-!

Best wishes,

David

looks fine from over here plus so long as your comfy with it, shouldn't matter if other people think it's big ... a truly great choice indeed and welcome to the club
Thank you, Mike! ;-)

…The truth is that my SA (2 weeks old) is double over COSC spec and Subaqua was regulary checked and serviced by my Breitling AD.

He's a top man for the job (also takes care of my IWC), I know him for more than 25y so he'll get SA on the right track.

regards
Hope you get your SA back on track ASAP and enjoy it for many years to come! |>

--------------------------------
I wanted to add a couple of curiosities connected with my SA purchase…

I was browsing through the manual yesterday and found that a pretty big printing error had occurred. :oops:
Half of the English and German text is missing, about 15 pages. I’ll call my AD and ask them, if they can get me a new manual.

I also got the new Chronolog 2008 yesterday and found it a bit odd that the Super Avengers pictured in it are still the ones with the smaller logo… I’m sure the ones with the bigger logo were out at the time they were printing it, right? :think:

Oh, and as a cherry on top, my AD gave me a really nice, brown Breitling cap. :-d

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
New Pics! :)

Here are some nice photos which a friend of mine took today, hope you like ;-):
(any further comments regarding size (if you think it's too big for my wrist or if it's fine also welcomed)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Congrats on your First Breitling, and well what a choice, i love the my SA and the presence is something to enjoy.

With your frame you should carry it easily, as im 5'11, 15stone 7 and with a 8.5 inch wrist, and it fits me lovely.

Enjoy and post some more great pics.

Heres mine

1 - 20 of 27 Posts