WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I bought my first mechanical watch: the C60 Trident Pro 600 mk3 38mm. I wasn't aware that the date must not be changed when the hour hand is between 9 and 3. The date turned over correctly when I did it this way however.

After that, I tried changing the date a few times more times using the correct method to see if it would work (with the hour hand at five and the minute hand at twelve), and thankfully the date changed over successfully each time. But, just to be sure, have I damaged the movement in any way? Really hope I didn't mess it up... especially being my first real watch.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
If it’s working without incident you should be fine. Happened to me before with no ill effects. A risk nevertheless.

Long ago I adopted SOP to set the hour to the southern hemisphere before setting the date. Then you know it’s out of the danger zone. All respect to Kenny Loggins.

·
Registered
30,721 Posts
If it changes over the date tomorrow, you lucked out, but this is a good thing to remember next time.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I’ve never had any issues after doing the same accidentally to a cheaper Orient. Haven’t done it since though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have done this by accident many times on watches costing from $200 to $100k+ perpetual calendars and while I sometimes lose sleep for a few nights, none of them have shown any issues. That being said, there is a reason why every manufacturer out there says not to do it. Once or twice may not break it, but as someone else said, just make it a habit to not change anything between 6pm and 6am.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
The general rule is to advance the hands to when the date changes and then you know where midnite is, after that you can advance the hands to the current time. As long as the current time is not 9p to 2a you can use the quickset to change the date. If you make the mistake again just remember to never move the hands backwards only forward and you should be fine, the date corrector should reset without damage however that is not guaranteed so use caution.

Reactions: GeneSederholm

·
Registered
181 Posts
You've now learned this lesson very well, and will remember it always due to the trauma of thinking you broke your watch.
😃

·
Premium Member
64,019 Posts
It sounds as if all is good. If I remember rightly the C60 clicks over at 12:00 ish - just make sure that yours still does.

·
Registered
191 Posts
A good rule of thumb is this. If you're close to that chunk of time, roll the date over manually by advancing the hands, not using the quickset. Going manually will avoid damage because it was as if time just moved forward faster instead of messing with odd tensions using the quickset.

Reactions: GeneSederholm

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have done this by accident many times on watches costing from $200 to $100k+ perpetual calendars and while I sometimes lose sleep for a few nights, none of them have shown any issues. That being said, there is a reason why every manufacturer out there says not to do it. Once or twice may not break it, but as someone else said, just make it a habit to not change anything between 6pm and 6am.
Ouch! I did it once on a $2500 watch and my heart sank. I don't want to imagine what I'd do if I accidentally did it on a $100k+ piece of horological artwork.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts