WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As one approaches premium brands the box and paper with a watch drive a premium. Without it I have seen some watches take as much as a 50% hit in the asking price. Question is I am not sure why.

Are they useful? Most don't read manuals, we shelve box and we wear the watch. From there they gather dust.

Weed out fakes? The papers can help validate the watch is genuine but when you spend thousands you still verify the watch, not the package, is real.

Resale? The box and papers will help keep the resale value intact...but buying a watch without box/papers was discounted to begin with and should change in % value like a complete package.

So in the end I see an authentic high end watch without papers a great deal and provides a lower and more accessible entry point to luxury brands....or am I missing the boat?

David

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
warranty and authenticity for the watch in question. Boxes make nice display cases.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
I view it, primarily, as a way to verify authenticity. Authenticity becomes more valuable the more you spend.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,052 Posts
As one approaches premium brands the box and paper with a watch drive a premium. Without it I have seen some watches take as much as a 50% hit in the asking price. Question is I am not sure why.

Are they useful? Most don't read manuals, we shelve box and we wear the watch. From there they gather dust.

Weed out fakes? The papers can help validate the watch is genuine but when you spend thousands you still verify the watch, not the package, is real.

Resale? The box and papers will help keep the resale value intact...but buying a watch without box/papers was discounted to begin with and should change in % value like a complete package.

So in the end I see an authentic high end watch without papers a great deal and provides a lower and more accessible entry point to luxury brands....or am I missing the boat?

David
That makes sense to me as well. As long as you can buy the seller before buying the watch then I do not see papers and box adding anything useful. The warranty would obviously be useful if it was still in force and transferable. I prefer to store watches on an individual suede leather pillow inside a cushioned leather lined box.

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
Papers for sure. Boxes? Wish they didn't exist and don't see much use for 'em. The only reason I keep them is for resale time since I'm evidently in the minority in my disdain for them . . .

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
50%? Can't say I've seen that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Box and papers ? It's good when they come but I don't let a good opportunity go because of them. As long as I know the seller, box and papers are just details.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Ok, once passed buying the seller stage, box and papers are not deal-breaker for me, just great to have.

The best I've got so far for a luxury brand is 60% off for not having B&P.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
I view it, primarily, as a way to verify authenticity. Authenticity becomes more valuable the more you spend.
Someone could buy an authentic watch with box and papers, and a fake of the same watch. Sell the fake with box and papers and the real one separately, and voila, you've nearly doubled your investment!

Anybody have any idea if this happens?

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
Ok, once passed buying the seller stage, box and papers are not deal-breaker for me, just great to have.

The best I've got so far for a luxury brand is 60% off for not having B&P.
60% off what? The MSRP or the fair market value for a preowned watch in similar condition but with box and papers?

·
Registered
5,511 Posts

Be really careful about using boxes and papers as a means to authenticate. Boxes and papers can be faked. I once sold an Omega without box and papers on eBay. A few weeks later the exact same watch was back up for sale, listed by the same eBay account that I sold the watch to originally, except this time the watch had the correct box and a properly filled out warranty card from an brick and mortar AD, *supposedly*. I know it was the same watch because I has an old macro shot of my old watch with the serial #, which was a perfect match to the watch being sold.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
BUY THE SELLER 1st is the Best rule of thumb.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
B&P'S are always nice to have.But anything can be faked this day & age.

·
Banned
549 Posts
I love having the box. But, it's collecting dust. As far as resale.... I ain't selling!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts