• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FMF Question Time:

If buying a pre-owned watch, would you insist that its original box and papers come with the watch? or not necessarily? Why? :-!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
FMF Question Time:

If buying a pre-owned watch, would you insist that its original box and papers come with the watch? or not necessarily? Why? :-!
this is not as streight forward a question as it might appear.

i will always prefer to buy complete. but sometime it is not possible. depending on the age and availability of the watch, getting the box and papers can be all but impossible. if i want the watch, i will buy without but only if i feel there is no other option.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
For a modern day Omega I would request box and papers. The oldies can do without.

·
Registered
39,174 Posts
:think: If you buy from an AD, the chances of getting original box and papers
are almost nill. I had to do a lot of convinceing that they weren't needed. They got the house box, sometimes nicer, and house papers.
Many people couldn't care less anyway. They chances are much greater
if the AD is not a chain.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but with box and papers, wouldnt reselling be so much easier? :think:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I used to not care so much, but now I do and I try my hardest to get a watch complete with the original box and papers. Of course, it is not always possible (e.g., with many vintage pieces) and as no_self_control mentioned, if I really want the watch, I'll do without.

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
I don't flip watches so box and papers aren't necessary. Honestly, I couldn't tell you where the box and papers are for the new watches I have purchased. Just isn't a big deal to me. - David

·
Registered
563 Posts
You know it's funny, my first thought was it's not that important but why then do I have the boxes/papers for every watch I own except one vintage piece.

I even told a friend once " You don't wear the packaging so who cares" but subconsciously I must.

In modern watches it helps with authenticity and in resale value. In vintage watches, if they have all the original packaging they will bring more as well but since most don't, I don't think it matters as much.

If it was a watch I really wanted and it didn't have the packages and I trusted the seller, I would still buy with out the extra's.

David

·
Registered
434 Posts
With a vintage I don't expect it, with a newer watch I would but in both cases so long as the price reflected whatever was offered then I'd be happy. I flick watches quite often and as long as I can get pretty much what I originally paid for it then I'm happy.

·
1,124 Posts
You can't wear the box and papers, now can you?

It adds value to the watch for the next purchaser and helps establish authenticity. I will pay a bit more and favor a watch with over a watch without, but the distinction is not large.

I basically feel I am buying something for the next owner, not for me. And as I never buy anticipating ever selling . . . .

Sam

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You can't wear the box and papers, now can you?

It adds value to the watch for the next purchaser and helps establish authenticity. I will pay a bit more and favor a watch with over a watch without, but the distinction is not large.

I basically feel I am buying something for the next owner, not for me. And as I never buy anticipating ever selling . . . .

Sam
I kinda feel that way too Sam, and it's just more stuff to store. John

·
Registered
661 Posts
It depends a lot on the watch. For example the X-33 comes with a very unusual and unique box, covered in material used for space suits. So it's a collector's item in its own right. So in this case I'd consider the box to be quite important. Same goes for other special editions etc that might have come in non standard boxes.

But in any case, I'd consider the box and papers to be a positive selling point and a sign that the watch came from a good home. It's likely that the watch has only had 1 or 2 previous owners if the box hasn't been lost along the way.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but wouldnt the box and papers increase the value of the whole sale and also adds to the credibility as a legitimate item? that was my point ...

·
Registered
39,174 Posts
Depends on the watch. Investment grade, you betcha. A customer came
in last year and showed me his newly aquired 1948 Panerai, came with
box, papers and one original strap. Your not gonna see many of those
in pre-own.
but wouldnt the box and papers increase the value of the whole sale and also adds to the credibility as a legitimate item? that was my point ...

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Your point seems to be that the only 'correct' answer is to agree with your logic that the value of the watch is intrinsically linked to it's resale value. The above posts should be enough to convince you that not everybody resells- in which case the resale value is totally unimportant.
Also- would not the purchase price be MORE important than the box and papers? A $1500 Bond had better have something to make it special-ie box,papers, condition, COSC cert etc. But who among us would not jump on a clean $800 Bond with no papers/box?
The box and papers do not prove legitamacy either as these items can be, and have been, faked.
Don

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quite important to me, at the moment a warranty card (or more importantly, just having a warranty) is a deciding factor for me.

Or maybe im just a noob! :D

·
Registered
856 Posts
If buying a fairly current model from a sales forum I find it kind of a little more reassuring when the guy has all the stuff I know came with the watch from the factory kind of let's you know how the watch was maintained, but on an oldie but goldie it isn't a deal breaker.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Ok, I selected 'need to come...' because generally if I buy something that expensive, I want everything that came with it. Like my first Omega (SMP).

BUT thats not to say I wont buy an Omega at a bargain price if I happen to stumble across it with its box nor papers. My second Omega (de-ville) retails for over $2000 and I got it for $200. With deals like that who cares about box & papers:-!

But if I am after a specific watch which I purchase at a fair price, I do need box and papers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts