WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Are boxes overated

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the middle of a deal with a forum member and he apologized because he didnt have the box for a watch he was sending me. Im curious do boxes break a deal or not. Personally I could care less if there was a box or not, I just want the watch to be in good condition.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Cardboard boxes are certainly overrated. If there was no possibility of me selling a watch (and there always is) I'd throw them away. Most buyers prefer a box.

On the other hand, 'casket' is the only word to describe some watch boxes (Stowa comes to mind), and it would be a helluva shame to throw those in the bin.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Threw all my boxes away except the Transformer Megatron (DW-6900) box. Also bought a 5025 Ocean on Ebay: advertised with original Japanese box (the black vault), but I received it in a cardbox, flimsy envelop 'thing'.
Name of that seller on PM request for the people who care for original boxes.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Some of them are beautiful. The recently released... what's its name... It's a set of a DW5600 and a DW6900 that come in a heart-shaped box, a collaboration edition. Wah and Planetz have one.

I can't remember. But there you go, I do remember the box. :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see if its a tin or a special box (casket) like the GG comes in but otherwise toss it I say.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Now, don't tell anyone, but there are brands (Casio and the Japanese ones, like Seiko and Citizen, are not amongst them) that sell more box than watch. :-x :-d

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
If a DW-1983 has no original wooedn box, I will not buy it. So it depends on the watch.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I would think that it depends on the watch. Like the wah said, dw1983 no wooden box, no deal. Well some of the watch in my collection comes with the wrong box (and they are from Casio Factory).

But I do know that collectors of other brands are very very concern about the boxes.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
i like the boxes. in fact i know Dougie like to keep them too because he has a habit of flipping them and he needs those boxes.

as for me, i like them because i like to keep anything that comes with it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
For basic or non-special edition watches, I don't really care about the box as they are fairly generic anyway. But like Wah Wah has said, if it is a special edition / Limited edition, it has to have the box that it was originally packaged with.

·
7,481 Posts
Mansrow is 100% correct, now if I am getting a killer deal on a watch without a box, I'll go without it, but I like to keep the boxes and everything pristine and like new....when I flip I like to keep a high value. ;-)

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I couldn't care less personally, but I suppose it does help to sell the watch if you're flipping it...

...but I try to buy watches that are 'keepers' though, and I'm not a collector.

Plus, it's very bad for the environment. :-d

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
For basic or non-special edition watches, I don't really care about the box as they are fairly generic anyway. But like Wah Wah has said, if it is a special edition / Limited edition, it has to have the box that it was originally packaged with.

|>;-)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have found most of the less expensive G's I have purchased came with a generic box that was a "one box fits all". To me on most watches the box means nothing. On my high end (high end to me any way) watches such as Rolex, Omega and Breitling, the box does to me factor into the value because like most reading this post, they will one day be sold or traded in search of the next "grail". We have all seen the seller on the SC who post Rolex box sets for more than I pay for most G's :)

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Mansrow is 100% correct, now if I am getting a killer deal on a watch without a box, I'll go without it, but I like to keep the boxes and everything pristine and like new....when I flip I like to keep a high value. ;-)
If you ever flip your MTG-1000G I'll never speak to you again!

:rodekaart:-d:-d

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I'm with most everyone else. It depends on the watch. If it's a generic Casio with those blue and white boxes, I don't care. I save all my outer and inner boxes, it takes
up a lot of space, but I like having them. Most of the time that's where the owners manual resides, along with the extra strap or bracelet links.
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I'm with most everyone else. It depends on the watch. If it's a generic Casio with those blue and white boxes, I don't care. I save all my outer and inner boxes, it takes
up a lot of space, but I like having them. Most of the time that's where the owners manual resides, along with the extra strap or bracelet links.
Regards Sonny
I keep most of my boxe i have not fliped any but i do store some of them in there boxes. I did buy the DB Frog and was a little dissapointed that it only came in a cardboard box but the amazon price was right. I would like to have one of the carbon boxes though |> i would store one of my watches in it.b-)

·
Registered
336 Posts
The WCCS and ICERC G-Shocks come in neat boxes and I really like to have those. The Masters of G boxes are kinda cool and I have most for my Men in Yellow and Men In Khaki watches, and the 25th anniversary tins are cool, but those I have enough of that I don't care so much anymore. I'd say if it comes in a regular G-Shock box I don't care at all. Did that answer the question?

(If we're talking about all watches, not just Gs, well, the more expensive the watch, the more I care about potential resale value, so the more I would want the original box, paperwork, etc.)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts