WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what kind of ss bracelet I should buy for my "new" aviastar? A good place to buy one, and how much I can expect to pay for one?

Thanks again
Thomas

·
Registered
571 Posts
Bracelet for aviastar: Pilot or Navitimer...

Does anybody know what kind of ss bracelet I should buy for my "new" aviastar? A good place to buy one, and how much I can expect to pay for one?

Thanks again
Thomas

Thomas,

You need either a 'Pilot' or a 'Navitimer' bracelet. When the Aviastar was first released in 1995 the bracelet option was the 5-links-across 'Pilot'. Then in 1996 the 7-links-across 'Navitimer' bracelet was released and both types were available. In 1997 the 'Pilot' was dropped as an option for the Aviastar (and also for the Navitimer and Cosmonaute watches which shared the same bracelets with the Aviastar). Also in 1997 the clasp of the 'Navitimer' bracelet was updated. FYI the last year the Aviastar appeared in the catalogue was 1998 although some remained in the stores for a few years after that.

There are therefore three bracelet options that were provided as original for the Aviastar:

1995-97 - 'Pilot'
1996-97 - 'Navitimer' with early clasp design
1997 onwards - 'Navitimer' with later clasp design.

Probably the easiest to find is the 3rd type, the later 'Navitimer' bracelet ref 423A - this is what I have. I swap it between my Aviastar and my Cosmonaute. The 22mm 'Pilot' with the correct ends (curved in the middle with straight edges) for an Aviastar is the hardest to find. (Do not buy a 'Pilot' bracelet with fully straight ends - these are designed for the Crosswind and are wrong for the Aviastar).

Last time I looked they were selling on ebay for about $600 (not cheap!) and some used watch dealers have them too.

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Thanks again
Thomas

Personally, I prefer the earlier Pilot bracelet. With it five links it look more rugged and matches perfectly the looks of the Aviastar.

You can still order it from Breitling. Supplies are limited and your Authorized Dealer may have to order it specially for you, but it was still available last year.

Even if the price was close to the current Navitimer bracelet, I thought it was an investment well worth. They pop up occasionally on e-bay, but you may have to wait for a long time to find one.

Good luck hunting!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Personally, I prefer the earlier Pilot bracelet. With it five links it look more rugged and matches perfectly the looks of the Aviastar.

You can still order it from Breitling. Supplies are limited and your Authorized Dealer may have to order it specially for you, but it was still available last year.

Even if the price was close to the current Navitimer bracelet, I thought it was an investment well worth. They pop up occasionally on e-bay, but you may have to wait for a long time to find one.

Good luck hunting!
I agree Kurt - the 'Pilot' looks slightly better IMHO on the Aviastar and is after all the bracelet that was first fitted to it. Nevertheless, the 'Navitimer' also looks pretty d*mn good!!

Cheers

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wanna ask a question at this point.
For the current Navitimer model, which one is the correct bracelet? I thought it was 431 A but now Alan stated that it was 423 A. Both fits the current Navitimer? I just wanna make sure for future reference.
thanks very much.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I wanna ask a question at this point.
For the current Navitimer model, which one is the correct bracelet? I thought it was 431 A but now Alan stated that it was 423 A. Both fits the current Navitimer? I just wanna make sure for future reference.
thanks very much.
Timur,

I want to make it clear that I have not stated that the current Navitimer bracelet is the 423A. My 423A is dated 1999.

Regards,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts