WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first say that I have a left wrist measuring about 7.25 inch (strangely enough my right wrist is a "full" half an inch bigger but that's another story).

I was just wondering if other of you folks have issues with "standard" bracelets , the clasp ones from Citizen, Seiko, Orient, etc.

I was recently fiddling with a Citizen model and have realized that the most comfortable it gets for me is by removing ALL 6 o'clock links and having extra links only on the 12 o'clock , 3 of them to be more exact as the other three are off completely.

This way, even though the visible part of the clasps rides a bit "high" towards the left side, it makes the under-part of the clasp which is much longer sit more central and thus avoiding digging into the side of the wrist.

I was also wondering if there's any "correct" way to balance a bracelet regard-less of the wrist size.

What I mean is, in this case, if I close the clasp (off the wrist) and hold it up, it is almost parallel, as parallel as it will get to the watch case back. Is that an indication of it being sized "correctly" ?

:think:

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
I think any test of bracelet sizing correctness off your wrist is meaningless. It has to be adjusted to however it feels most comfortable and that depends on wrist shape (not always symmetrical) and personal preference. I've been told by a couple of ADs that all of their customers have fewer links on the inside (so 6 side for left-wearers), whereas the recently booming Chinese clientele demand a perfectly even number on both sides, even though the clasp isn't centered on the bottom of their wrist when the watch case is positioned where they prefer it on the top. This is all moot for those who want the world to see their solid gold diamond encrusted sub, so wear it loose enough to sit at the top of their thumb.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
With single-piece deployants that are flatter at the start and then curve more near the end, you need to get that curve so that it falls at the edge of your wrist and wraps up around the side. If you have larger wrists (or very narrow ones), that definitely won't leave the clasp centered under your wrist.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Try biasing the bracelet so that the 12:00 side is longer than the 6:00 side. This has worked for me and may indeed be your solution.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly what I did, see my first post ;) And as it happens, as I also mentioned, it is now parallel to the caseback, well, sort of, +/- 10-15degrees so I'm wondering if that is an easy way to fix any bracelet, regardless of wrist size. I've actually did that since starting this thread on a seiko as well (jubilee), swapped one link from 6 to 12 and it seems to "ride" better on the wrist...

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
That seems to be the most comfortable bracelet configuration. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Let me first say that I have a left wrist measuring about 7.25 inch (strangely enough my right wrist is a "full" half an inch bigger but that's another story).
That's okay, we all do it. You won't go blind. :-d

Kidding aside, I think you have it set up well the way it is. Most clasps fit best when they are centered or biased towards the six o'clock position (depending on clasp design). If they're biased too far towards the 12 o'clock position, not only are they less comfortable but there's a good chance a push-button style clasp can be popped open when your wrist flexes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts