WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to hear some opinions from people who tried these. I'm thinking to get them as a slightly more classy alternative to NATOs since it's pretty hot and humid nowadays and although I still want to wear some of my dressier watches, I don't want to ruin the leather straps most come on, plus it can get sticky/uncomfortable as well.

In pictures they look a bit flimsy, I'm worried it won't hold the watch in place nicely? Are they durable as NATOs ? Also, there seems to be no holes so I guess the the pin goes thru the weaving, but isn't that a bit akward when you put it on ? :think: Also, doesn't it get damaged by repeatedly "stabbing" it with the pin ? :-s

Now finally, where do you source yours? The cheapest black 20mm I could find is THIS ONE at about 15 bucks shipped. Should I pay a bit extra and get it from a different seller? This one doesn't have much feedback but otherwise the photos/description seems similar to others. Also, Amazon doesnt' seem to have any of these as I'd prefer to use Amazon, do they only manufacture these abroad ?

I would also like to find a dark green one to try on my Seiko Alpinist SARB017 but haven't been able to source any on eBay. :-s Have you seen a dark green one anywhere ?

Thank you in advance for your help! |>

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Got mine from ebay. It said 20mm but fits like a 22mm. At first it was kinda stiff but once wet it is very comfortable. Since you can adjust to your liking it fits nicely. Only had it for a while can't attest for its durability just yet...here's a pic (I fitted my tudor's buckle on it)

Reactions: jsj11

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Got mine from ebay. It said 20mm but fits like a 22mm. At first it was kinda stiff but once wet it is very comfortable. Since you can adjust to your liking it fits nicely. Only had it for a while can't attest for its durability just yet...here's a pic (I fitted my tudor's buckle on it)
Thanks for the response.

Wow, how did you manage to swap the buckle ? :-s In the photos I've seen of most of these the buckle is some kind of proprietary design and the strap is only "folded" around, there seems to be no spring-bar ? I guess yours is a different design. Is it still one piece or two-piece ? Does the buckle pin from the Tudor fit properly in the weaving or it more difficult to insert? :-s

Which seller did you get yours from and how much was it ?

Sorry for all the questions :think:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Lol, no worries, glad to help. Here's the link to the sale on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371066463891
It came with a kind of rose gold buckle that seemed too flimsy so since both this and the tudor's came without spring bars/pins I just unfolded the tudor's strap and folded this one in. It's a single piece and tudor's buckle pin goes in with ease. It cost like 18 swiss francs (around$ 20US) plus shipping...good luck

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol, no worries, glad to help. Here's the link to the sale on ebay Genuine Vintage Hirsch Nato 22mm one piece Watch Strap Brown 1960s | eBay
since both this and the tudor's came without spring bars/pins I just unfolded the tudor's strap and folded this one in. It's a single piece and tudor's buckle pin goes in with ease. It cost like 18 swiss francs (around$ 20US) plus shipping...good luck
Thanks again.....I still don't understand what kind of strap/buckle is that. The Tudor one I mean. Because as I see in the photo, the perlon only folds around that special buckle and is only held in place by the tight bend, tucked under in a similar fashion to the fasteners on backpacks for example. Anyway, the reason I'm asking is because it would be nice to have this option of using the original buckle from another strap :think:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yeah that is the same way the tudor is, just folded in, like a backpack's...

·
Premium Member
35,386 Posts
Those perlon straps look great. I wish I could find more of a selection that what is currently listed on US eBay.

Any other suggestions for vendors?

·
Premium Member
40,632 Posts
Those perlon straps look great. I wish I could find more of a selection that what is currently listed on US eBay.

Any other suggestions for vendors?
Ebay seller TimesOfPlenty (I think also a forum member?)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Okay, I can tell you a thing or two about this Eulit nos perlon strap.
The buckle attaches to the strap (20mm) by feeding the strap through one end of the buckle and you use the strap keeper to feed the strap remaining on the under side. The buckle I believe is an inox type, I think that means it's rust resistant, so far after a year of use in tropical climate there is no rust, Frey, or stretch. The end of the strap is bottom coated with some type of resin that keeps it all together so that it doesn't Frey. I have it on my Hamilton khaki king (20mm), and the strap is very good. It does kind of mold to the wrist and watch after a few days of wearing it. Is it stiff? Yes, but not too stiff. I think it's an outstanding strap, and I highly recommend it for tropical weather.

I hope this helps you out.

Donovan.

Time is an invention.

·
Registered
768 Posts
There are different kinds of Perlon straps. Some are too stiff and some too flimsy/ cheap. I got mine from this guy (MWR member aliasrichmond) in the UK and it's just fine. MWR is a free military watch website here: mwrforum. After you join, PM him.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are different kinds of Perlon straps. Some are too stiff and some too flimsy/ cheap. I got mine from this guy (MWR member aliasrichmond) in the UK and it's just fine. MWR is a free military watch website here: mwrforum. After you join, PM him.
Thanks for that. I have nontheless placed an order from the link in the original post and will report when it arrives

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I can tell you a thing or two about this Eulit nos perlon strap.
The buckle attaches to the strap (20mm) by feeding the strap through one end of the buckle and you use the strap keeper to feed the strap remaining on the under side. The buckle I believe is an inox type, I think that means it's rust resistant, so far after a year of use in tropical climate there is no rust, Frey, or stretch. The end of the strap is bottom coated with some type of resin that keeps it all together so that it doesn't Frey. I have it on my Hamilton khaki king (20mm), and the strap is very good. It does kind of mold to the wrist and watch after a few days of wearing it. Is it stiff? Yes, but not too stiff. I think it's an outstanding strap, and I highly recommend it for tropical weather.

I hope this helps you out.

Donovan.

Time is an invention.
That looks great on your Khaki Scuba! :-! :p

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Crown and Buckle is going to be carrying perlon straps. Should be on their website any day now. I managed to pick one up a little early and put it on my vintage Bucherer. Fits the style quite nicely. Very lightweight, but comfortable.

Really eh? Did you hear this from the horse's mouth? At any rate, this is great as they are my first go to source for straps! Hope these new perlons come out in 22mm as well...

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Really eh? Did you hear this from the horse's mouth? At any rate, this is great as they are my first go to source for straps! Hope these new perlons come out in 22mm as well...
I did, in fact, hear it from the horse's mouth. Well, technically it was in an email...

I got mine from US Ebay from seller timesofplenty as well. Very comfy, secure, and well made. Seems durable enough to me ...

This is an awesome strap!

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
In pictures they look a bit flimsy, I'm worried it won't hold the watch in place nicely? Are they durable as NATOs ? Also, there seems to be no holes so I guess the the pin goes thru the weaving, but isn't that a bit akward when you put it on ? :think: Also, doesn't it get damaged by repeatedly "stabbing" it with the pin ? :-s
The German Perlon straps from Eulit (as posted by Weisoseis and others) are the only ones to consider, in my opinion. I wouldn't trust the quality of generic Perlon straps off eBay. I have several Eulit Perlon straps in various colors and sizes and love them. I have a black one semi-permanently installed on my Submariner as well as on a vintage WWII Rolex, and a blue one on my Orange Monster, and I absolutely love them.

To answer your questions, Perlon is a German made fiber that looks similar to nylon fiber, but is much tougher and stiffer so the straps can be made thinner but still be stronger than nylon. They are also extremely resistant to abrasion, unlike nylon which has a tendency to fray and become worn over time. One of the other benefits is that they don't stretch like nylon when they get wet, and they seem to dry much quicker in my opinion (when a Perlon strap is wet you don't really even notice that it's wet, whereas nylon feels soggy on your wrist until it eventually dries). The tang pin fits between the woven braids and doesn't damage them, with the major benefit being that you have almost infinite micro-adjustability because sizing isn't dependent on holes in the strap. There's also no problem with a watch sliding around on them... it stays put just as well as on a nylon Nato or Zulu.

I don't have any pics of my Rolex's on their Perlon straps, but here's my OM. It's a great look for this watch.

OM on Perlon_s.jpg

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The German Perlon straps from Eulit (as posted by Weisoseis and others) are the only ones to consider, in my opinion. I wouldn't trust the quality of generic Perlon straps off eBay. I have several Eulit Perlon straps in various colors and sizes and love them. I have a black one semi-permanently installed on my Submariner as well as on a vintage WWII Rolex, and a blue one on my Orange Monster, and I absolutely love them.

To answer your questions, Perlon is a German made fiber that looks similar to nylon fiber, but is much tougher and stiffer so the straps can be made thinner but still be stronger than nylon. They are also extremely resistant to abrasion, unlike nylon which has a tendency to fray and become worn over time. One of the other benefits is that they don't stretch like nylon when they get wet, and they seem to dry much quicker in my opinion (when a Perlon strap is wet you don't really even notice that it's wet, whereas nylon feels soggy on your wrist until it eventually dries). The tang pin fits between the woven braids and doesn't damage them, with the major benefit being that you have almost infinite micro-adjustability because sizing isn't dependent on holes in the strap. There's also no problem with a watch sliding around on them... it stays put just as well as on a nylon Nato or Zulu.

I don't have any pics of my Rolex's on their Perlon straps, but here's my OM. It's a great look for this watch.

View attachment 1547164
I've had a good experience with mine so far. These german perlon straps are not available on 22mm are they? If so, please point out to them so as to giv'em a test! Cheers

1 - 20 of 41 Posts