WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

My younger brother is turning 18 this August, and so will, as is tradition, get a watch. And as the watch-dude of the family, my parents were nice enough to include me in this decision (I'm rather psyched to help in this process, especially as I can sit researching watches I can't afford at the moment).

My bro is currently wearing a vintage Constellation I gave him as a way-too early birthday gift, and so my thought was that maybe he should get a sweet tool watch he could wear when, well, when a dress watch is out of the question. He plays badminton professionally, and travels like I don't know what.

So,

What I think he should get: a Marathon Gsar, or maybe a Breitling Colt if he wants something a bit more noticeable (it is my understanding that the Colt is tough as knuckles, but I have no first-hand experience and may be wrong here).

My dad's suggestion: Speedmaster, Racing edition.

My brother's requirements: Something that gets noticed but isn't overly flashy.

Budget: Maybe up to 4 k $

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are super appreciated. I'm aiming to produce a nice little list for July sometime, to simplify the process for them (and because I think it's mighty fun).

Thanks!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'd go with either a used 5 digit serial DJ, or a newer but still used Oyster Perpetual 36. Classic, tool-esque, nice but not flashy and right around $4k.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If he travels, why not go for a GMT? That is one complication that may actually see some use.
I’ll second this. I have a Breitling Avenger II GMT and love it. Pressure test to 300m, low profile, and works great with any outfit - casual and formal. Plus to boot, it’s super easy to change from bracelet to leather to nato.

My wrist is 7.5” and the Avenger wears better than any other watch I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd go with either a used 5 digit serial DJ, or a newer but still used Oyster Perpetual 36. Classic, tool-esque, nice but not flashy and right around $4k.
Never considered that but that's def going on the list. Such a beautiful piece. How well does it stand up to a beating?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I apparently was born into the wrong family. I vote for the Marathon, but it is one I am looking at these days. For the money, they're pretty tough watches and look it.
That was my first choice as well. Have a tsar myself and tougher for the money is very hard to find. Plus they're gorgeous. My bro might find the absence of any well-known brand hard to swallow, though, but it's a process.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll second this. I have a Breitling Avenger II GMT and love it. Pressure test to 300m, low profile, and works great with any outfit - casual and formal. Plus to boot, it’s super easy to change from bracelet to leather to nato.

My wrist is 7.5” and the Avenger wears better than any other watch I own.

That's a really good idea. Would simplify things, and mean that he can always use the watch as an actual watch (as I doubt he is currently resetting the time when travelling between zones).
His wrists are smaller, though, around 6 perhaps. So the Breitling's l2l might make it a bit too big.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's a really good idea. Would simplify things, and mean that he can always use the watch as an actual watch (as I doubt he is currently resetting the time when travelling between zones).
His wrists are smaller, though, around 6 perhaps. So the Breitling's l2l might make it a bit too big.
It has made life very easy for me!

I would encourage trying it on. Most of the Avengers all fit and feel the same, with the exception being the Sea Wolf which is a beast of a watch. Breitling somehow makes this 43mm watch feel more like a 40. Plus, if he’s turning 18, he still has a bit of growing to do (if he’s like me)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

Breitling used to make a 38mm Superocean Heritage. It wears really well on smaller wrists. I think L2L is 45mm. My wife has sub 6" wrists and she wears one daily.

36mm Rolex Explorer would be another with brand recognition that could be worn every occasion and works well with smaller wrists.

-- Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
I agree with the recommendation for anything by Sinn — great tool watches from a very-WIS German watchmaker. The US AD is at watchbuys.com, but in the EU you can check Sinn.de

At 4K, you could also look at the original Speedy Pro with Hesalite crystal. I’d recommend this over the Racing version.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whenever I hear “tough”, the first brands that always come to mind are Damasko and Sinn. Both offer large catalogs with many options and styles to choose from. Pics swiped at random:
Oh man thanks! Totally forgot about sinn. A 556 would actually be a great choice.Maybe not enough brand recognition to be optimal, but maybe I can sell the coolness factor.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a sucker for Speedy Racing editions...get something like this on rubber instead of bracelet if you want it to be more low key.

View attachment 13241679
Oh most def. It's just so great looking....My worry is it's a watch he'll remove in gyms and stuff when playing/training, only to have to have it swiped from the locker (that are, of course, more often than not just clothes on a hanger).

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Breitling used to make a 38mm Superocean Heritage. It wears really well on smaller wrists. I think L2L is 45mm. My wife has sub 6" wrists and she wears one daily.

36mm Rolex Explorer would be another with brand recognition that could be worn every occasion and works well with smaller wrists.

-- Wayne
Oh dude a 38 would be a great size I think (the Constellation I handed him was just a tad bit too small for me at 34, but fit him mad decently). Def going on the list.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts