WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hello I can't seem to find a site saying they fabricated the history.. I've never seen a mushroom sell for thousands of dollars either.
Graham SA was created in 1995 by Eric Loth, an ex-Swatch guy. To give the brand a sense of history he chose to pay homage to the inventor of the inventor of the wall chronograph: George Graham. That's one way of explaining it. The other is to say he set about creating an artificial sense of history and heritage, even going so far as to have the company web address as graham1695.com to make it look like a 1995 company has been making watches since 1695.

Western Australian black truffles sell for $3000 per kilogram, the above-ground fruit of Tricholoma matsutake,which have the classic mushroom cap and stipe form, have been known to retail in Japan for $2000 a kilogram.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Graham SA was created in 1995 by Eric Loth, an ex-Swatch guy. To give the brand a sense of history he chose to pay homage to the inventor of the inventor of the wall chronograph: George Graham. That's one way of explaining it. The other is to say he set about creating an artificial sense of history and heritage, even going so far as to have the company web address as graham1695.com to make it look like a 1995 company has been making watches since 1695.

Western Australian black truffles sell for $3000 per kilogram, the above-ground fruit of Tricholoma matsutake,which have the classic mushroom cap and stipe form, have been known to retail in Japan for $2000 a kilogram.

I see. Well explained. Not sure if your last sentence is sarcastic lol if not, I suggest search "mushroom" in this forum

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,357 Posts
Hello I can't seem to find a site saying they fabricated the history.. I've never seen a mushroom sell for thousands of dollars either.
There are several watch brands that appropriate some horological history, resurrect a brand name or otherwise stretch the truth of their history for marketing purposes. A watch manufacturers history can be mildly interesting to read through I suppose. I'm much more interested in the watch makers current reputation for designing, delivering and supporting interesting well made watches.

Graham is a name that resonates with most people having an interest in vintage watches and clocks. The Graham website does nothing more than mention George Graham's long ago contributions to horology. Although they use Graham and the year 1695 in their name they do not come out and claim a direct connection. So it's a bit of borrowed history. And borrowed or manufactured history does attract buyers.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
There are several watch brands that appropriate some horological history, resurrect a brand name or otherwise stretch the truth of their history for marketing purposes. A watch manufacturers history can be mildly interesting to read through I suppose. I'm much more interested in the watch makers current reputation for designing, delivering and supporting interesting well made watches.

Graham is a name that resonates with most people having an interest in vintage watches and clocks. The Graham website does nothing more than mention George Graham's long ago contributions to horology. Although they use Graham and the year 1695 in their name they do not come out and claim a direct connection. So it's a bit of borrowed history. And borrowed or manufactured history does attract buyers.
I see, I can remember me searching the net about the oldest watch brands and there I found out about Graham.

·
Registered
31,976 Posts
I stumbled into the Kobold forum the other day out of sure boredom. The Graham forum would be as active as that ine

21 - 28 of 28 Posts