WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i don't get it. i just received these pics. i don't know if i can post the link or not. sometime mods say yes, sometimes no. so i will wait for an ok.

anyway, don't you think watches like these hurt a brand's image more than help it?

could you imagine porsche, bmw, jaguar, et al. coming out with a factory made car with fire flames down the side, big fat 24" rims, dice hanging from the mirror, and a general lee confederate flag on the roof (along with the dixie horn)?

it would be like ralph lauren, lacoste, or any other design label making a christmas sweater with flashing lights that your great-great nana would wear. someone please explain to me the reasoning behind products like these. i know they may make a ton of money on the sale of one of these, but it can't be worth the damage to the image.

what is next, kim jung il as a brand ambassador now that qadafi is dead?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I believe the pictures make your point without the link.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I agree that they're ridiculous, but I'm not sure it hurts the brand image. Mere mortals like us will never see one in the flesh or even know anybody remotely connected to one. They don't exist in our world.

It's a bit like concept cars, or one-off fashion designs that you see on the catwalk in Paris that in real life, nobody would be caught dead wearing in public.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I disagree. Me too think they are tasteless, but the general population does not have anytaste, so they will think they are cool.

Reactions: RedneckVostokGuy

·
Registered
734 Posts
Watches like these are what comes to my wife's mind when she is asked about Rolex (and why she despises the brand). It is also what would keep me from buying a submariner (besides the facts that I hate Mercedes hands and probably won't drop that much on a watch ever anyway, or if I was going to would get something more offbeat (for the US) like a Blancpain). Now I guess I have to add Hublot to the same category.

It doesn't make much rational sense, but knowing a company makes super blingy watches would keep me from wanting to own any of there models. I don't want to be associated with it.

Reactions: novedl and CitizenM

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they're nothing like concept cars. they are like tricked out cars that look ridiculous.

I agree that they're ridiculous, but I'm not sure it hurts the brand image. Mere mortals like us will never see one in the flesh or even know anybody remotely connected to one. They don't exist in our world.

It's a bit like concept cars, or one-off fashion designs that you see on the catwalk in Paris that in real life, nobody would be caught dead wearing in public.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hurt the image... I would say no. Do any of these brands seem like they are suffering from a bad image?

Those that want these blinged out pieces will get them - and those that loathe the sight of them will avoid them like the plague.

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
They make those watches for a reason. If you think they hurt the brand you're obviously not the target market.

It's a mistake to think that personal taste is universal. It isn't. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My $0.02...

Theyre tasteless. I'm sorry but no self-respecting person would wear something as gaudy as that and honestly think people didn't see them as a joke. I certainly don't seen anyone here wearing garbage like that...

Reactions: Igorek and Sodiac

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am talking about their other products. i am the target market for those pieces.

They make those watches for a reason. If you think they hurt the brand you're obviously not the target market.

It's a mistake to think that personal taste is universal. It isn't. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Will something like this hurt the brand image? Surely that depends on who that brand image is targeted at...

If you want your watches worn by traditionalists who post in watch forums and like classy understated designs, then yes, it probably puts a few people off you.
If on the other hand a large section of your market is the sort of person who likes sparkly things, then you may be on to a winner. I would have to hazard a guess that Hublot get quite a few sales from the 'trendy' people out there accessorising with a nice big, flashy watch...

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Unfortunately many brands do it.

Just saying the Rolex is 100% fake, and the Breitling probably is too. I am guessing that that was supposed to be a joke?

Anywhoo, those watches are part of why I would never buy a Hublot. I never want someone to come up to me and say "Pimp watch dawg! I saw [insert rapper here] wearing one exactly like it!!!"

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
i am talking about their other products. i am the target market for those pieces.
And? Does every product a company makes have to appeal to you in order for you to respect the brand?

I drive an '05 Subaru WRX, which is an excellent vehicle in terms of design, but Subaru also makes some of the ugliest cars on the road today. That fact in no way diminishes my love for the WRX or my respect for the brand. I simply recognize that I'm not the target market for some of the products in their catalogue.

If we were talking about watches that were built much more cheaply or were unreliable then the "brand degredation" argument might have some weight, but that isn't what we're talking about. The examples above are purely design focused. You don't have to like every single design a company releases to respect the brand.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Well, those monstrosities hurt the image to the point that I would never consider a Hublot because of it. I'm sure there are others who feel the same. But on the other hand, I'm the guy who won't buy a Seiko because they also sell them in the corner Big Box Store. So there are many ways to destroy an image, in my opinion.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bah, no diamonds on the pushers, crown, or hands? Damme plain-Jane watches, I say!

Actually I think the second Hublot is quite striking, the one with the starburst dial. In answer to your question, though, about hurting the brand image...Hublot's market is largely people who like blingy things and don't know jack about watches, no? I'm not sure these would hurt their image, probably the opposite.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts