WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently, some "Munich based eBay seller" has been quite busy this summer!

Exhibit 1=eBay item 380607504608:
A handwatch "probably made in the 40's or 50's" "2MWF Kirowa"(2МЧЗ им. Кирова), with an innovative dial. PS: there has been a 1MWF Kirowa, a 2MWF, but never a 2MWF Kirova. Well, who cares, it is never too late! Time to order a case and print a dial!

image-1707131763.jpg
image-3261367615.jpg

Exhibit 2=eBay item 380189478533:
A pocket watch titled "2MWF Kirowa" with a correct dial and a wrong movement, or a wrong dial and a correct movement? The description says 1MWF, the movement picture is strangely overexposed (a rare fact for the photographs of this "Munich based eBay seller") shows the stamp of the 1MWF, but the dial shows the 2MWF.

image-1195323007.jpg
image-2003213579.jpg

Exhibit 3=eBay item 380189478544:
A pocket chronograph "1MWF Kirowa", indeed a unique piece, since those were made in Chelyabinsk and always named Molnia. Who cares, let's design a corresponding dial!

image-4249517271.jpg
image-514922576.jpg

Exhibit 4=eBay item 330619136343:
I leave it up to decide whether the dial is inspired by merging Volmax products...

image-2511179309.jpg

Here the Volmax timepieces

image-3089612531.jpg
image-3738229290.jpg
image-2451079018.jpg

And now for something completely different:

This one is only available in China, but its off topic!

image-903487188.jpg

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Oh, yes. Just like the Bulgarian 'Kirovskie' branded Volnas, some bearing the M2 logo underneeth :) 2MChZ im. Kirova? Now that's huge. Very soon we'll have Chistopol Maselnikov's Factory as well. TThe frankens are getting more and more ridiculous!

Oh, and getting back to exhibit 2... The earliest 2ChZ pocket watches often have 1GChZ movements.

See this one:

http://www.ussrtime.com/cgi-bin/details.pl?id=1518

I believe it's original, in fact. However it's disputable if this particular dial, that seems newer, could go with 1GChZ movement. For that question, I have no answer...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
In regards to the Buran-style Kirovskie chronographs, other than the one in the Buran case, I don't think they are Poljot production. If you look closely, you can see that the case, dial, and hands are actually larger than the Poljot model with the date window. They look like bigger copies of the Poljot Burans. By all accounts they're quality pieces, and I may just purchase one myself someday, but so far I haven't seen any direct connection with Volmax; even though at one time RUSCAMERA was advertising that. Irina also talked about this in her famous 2006 post.

As for the other Kirovskies with the Aviator casing, I’ve never seen any direct link between these pieces and Volmax either, but there's no doubt that the cases were originally used by Volmax. Juri Levenberg, Julian Kampmann and other PILOT dealers also sell these chronographs so they could be produced by Moscow Classic or previously by MakTime. Maybe someone in-the-know can share some facts with us about these chronographs.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In regards to the Buran-style Kirovskie chronographs, other than the one in the Buran case, I don't think they are Poljot production. If you look closely, you can see that the case, dial, and hands are actually larger than the Poljot model with the date window. They look like bigger copies of the Poljot Burans. By all accounts they're quality pieces, and I may just purchase one myself someday, but so far I haven't seen any direct connection with Volmax; even though at one time RUSCAMERA was advertising that. Irina also talked about this in her famous 2006 post.

As for the other Kirovskies with the Aviator casing, I’ve never seen any direct link between these pieces and Volmax either, but there's no doubt that the cases were originally used by Volmax. Juri Levenberg, Julian Kampmann and other PILOT dealers also sell these chronographs so they could be produced by Moscow Classic or previously by MakTime. Maybe someone in-the-know can share some facts with us about these chronographs.
Volmax had to have their cases made in Asia, because of the terrible quality once they took over from RIP Poljot.

MakTime never claimed to make their own cases either.

The two Polish brothers of MoscowClassic neither.

Officially, Volmax much later finally managed to use state of the art Russian manufactured cases.

The rest, the survivor of the Volmax brothers does it now in Switzerland with Buran.ch and Aviator.ch

JL watches just sport a "Russia"; his copies of Poljot/Volmax Strelas don't claim to be "made in Russia". Just like Swiss and Swiss Made...

Still he knows what the people want: Give em some Kirowa. First, Second, Third, Fourth Moscow Watch Factory Kirova :)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
There's no doubt that chronographs designed and assembled at the Poljot factory have an added appeal to some collectors, but other than that there's not that much that sets them apart. Besides the movement, all of the other components are probably foreign to Russia, and in some instances, even with Volmax, very cheap in quality.

The new Kirova chronographs may not be linked to the Poljot factory in any way, but as you say, there is a demand for a 1MWF homage watch that is no longer available through Poljot or Volmax. I just purchased a used Kirova chronograph with a Poljot stamped mechanism, and that's probably about as close of a connection to the factory as is possible today. However, I guess one could argue that the new pieces with MakTime movements have a 1MWF connection as well, since the equipment was purchased from there.

But that's where I draw the line. If the movement is not a "Made in Russia" cal. 3133, I'm not interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts