WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been dreaming of a Speedmaster Pro for a long time....joining this forum represents my first serious step towards really networking and researching. Before I was just looking on Ebay and pretty disappointed with what I saw .

I've already made a few offers on watches for sale, but to be honest I'm not totally sure if I want a
-Moonwatch Pro (311.30.42.30.01.005 and previous 3570.50, 3590.). - 42mm
-First Omega in Space Moonwatch (311.32.40.30.01.001). - 39.7mm

I'm fairly certain that I do not want to buy a classic/vintage watch b/c of concerns i have with keeping it functional, and the timekeeping accuracy, and not knowing how its been maintained.

So I'm basically looking between the 39.7mm and 42mm sizes and trying to understand the meaningful differences in terms of these.

The size is a factor b/c I tend to prefer larger, however, I am not totally set on that.

This is really the first forum I've found good content in, so if anyone has suggestions for other forums I should check out that would be good to know too.

Regards,
Michael

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Well your on the right track wanting a Omega Speedmaster MoonWatch and/or the FOIS.

The two you mentioned are beautiful...I have almost pulled the trigger on a FOIS many times but it's size has stopped me but don't let it stop you! A 39.7mm watch should be able to be worn by just about anyone..it might be hanging over a 6" wrist and it might be lost on a 8.5" wrist but it can be worn. Hopefully your in the sweet spot...

I personally own this for the last 8 plus years it is my second time owning one and I will never sell it. I believe every watch box should have this in it...and your thinking of starting with it - so congrats. This may not be the First Omega in Space but it is the Moonwatch. At 42mm it sounds like a better choice since you "prefer larger"...

Soon there will be some FOIS fans to come along and tell you about their choice...

Thats all I got, the internet is full of pictures so you know what they look like and YouTube is full of video opinions...each saying theirs is better than the previous so really you have to go with your gut, heart, head and maybe even your wrist.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Same movement. Cases are pretty much the same size except the pro has the crown guards that add the extra 2mm on the 10-4 axis (but the watch has the same bezel diameter of 40mm as the FOIS). FOIS handset is different and it is fitted with sapphire crystal, whereas the .005 Pro has a hesalite crystal and, of course, the all-white baton handset. FOIS has 19mm lug width and Pro has 20mm, making the Pro more versatile for a variety of straps, though there is no shortage of 19mm strap options. I’ve owned both, in addition to a sapphire sandwich (.006) Pro, and currently own only the FOIS.

If you like bigger, go with the Pro. It wears a bit bigger, especially on bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think of getting one myself as well on and off. I'm not a big chrono fan and never owned one, I usually get confused on making one choice so I wait. I do like this one the more l look..
Pic stolen off forum..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well your on the right track wanting a Omega Speedmaster MoonWatch and/or the FOIS.

The two you mentioned are beautiful...I have almost pulled the trigger on a FOIS many times but it's size has stopped me but don't let it stop you! A 39.7mm watch should be able to be worn by just about anyone..it might be hanging over a 6" wrist and it might be lost on a 8.5" wrist but it can be worn. Hopefully your in the sweet spot...

I personally own this for the last 8 plus years it is my second time owning one and I will never sell it. I believe every watch box should have this in it...and your thinking of starting with it - so congrats. This may not be the First Omega in Space but it is the Moonwatch. At 42mm it sounds like a better choice since you "prefer larger"...

Soon there will be some FOIS fans to come along and tell you about their choice...

Thats all I got, the internet is full of pictures so you know what they look like and YouTube is full of video opinions...each saying theirs is better than the previous so really you have to go with your gut, heart, head and maybe even your wrist.

View attachment 15375929

Mickey,

Thanks for the enthusiastic and welcoming response! Your watch is beautiful.

My wrist is 7 inches. I think either will look great

Same movement. Cases are pretty much the same size except the pro has the crown guards that add the extra 2mm on the 10-4 axis (but the watch has the same bezel diameter of 40mm as the FOIS). FOIS handset is different and it is fitted with sapphire crystal, whereas the .005 Pro has a hesalite crystal and, of course, the all-white baton handset. FOIS has 19mm lug width and Pro has 20mm, making the Pro more versatile for a variety of straps, though there is no shortage of 19mm strap options. I’ve owned both, in addition to a sapphire sandwich (.006) Pro, and currently own only the FOIS.

If you like bigger, go with the Pro. It wears a bit bigger, especially on bracelet.

Dufresne,

Thank you for this detailed comparison. This really helped me to understand that the bezel diameter is the same 40mm..... Can you help me understand what crown guards are? are these the things at the 2pm and 4pm on the watch face?

Am I correct to say that the sapphire crystal is all around the better choice b/c it will not scratch easily?

I see the handset looks significantly different.

Do both have some photoluminescent substance?

Any differences in 'visibility' of the hands in DAYTIME conditions?

The speed at which my eyes and mind recognize the time is really important to me and is one of the main reasons I love the speedmaster: high contract white hands on black face....can see the dial from a very wide / low angle of sight.

Michael

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Mickey,

Thanks for the enthusiastic and welcoming response! Your watch is beautiful.

My wrist is 7 inches. I think either will look great

Dufresne,

Thank you for this detailed comparison. This really helped me to understand that the bezel diameter is the same 40mm..... Can you help me understand what crown guards are? are these the things at the 2pm and 4pm on the watch face?

Am I correct to say that the sapphire crystal is all around the better choice b/c it will not scratch easily?

I see the handset looks significantly different.

Do both have some photoluminescent substance?

Any differences in 'visibility' of the hands in DAYTIME conditions?

The speed at which my eyes and mind recognize the time is really important to me and is one of the main reasons I love the speedmaster: high contract white hands on black face....can see the dial from a very wide / low angle of sight.

Michael
Yes, the crown guards are that portion of the Pro case that extend out around the crown. Visually, it makes the watch wear larger, but it still wears smaller than a “traditional” 42mm watch, IMO.

Sapphire will not scratch easily at all, however it’s more susceptible to shattering (never been an issue for most). Hesalite will scratch very easily by comparison but these scratches can be easily removed by you with a rag and Polywatch. The hesalite is plastic and is nearly shatter proof. The sapphire leaves a “milky ring” visual effect around the dial that some don’t like, citing a “warmer” appearance of the hesalite as better looking.

Yes, both watches have lume, but, and this to me is a huge difference, the Pro is MUCH easier to read at a glance. The polished hands on the FOIS, while nice looking, can be difficult to see in some light, requiring a flick of the wrist to see the time. The Pro is eminently visible all the time. This is the reason I sold my first FOIS. However, the FOIS to me is stunning and I have a smaller wrist, plus I work in a more formal environment and I find it dresses up slightly better than the Pro, though the Pro
Looks great with everything. I’ve accepted the FOIS isn’t as easy to see, but it’s 2020 and watches are jewelry for most, not the tools required to tell time they were 50 years ago. So, the FOIS is my daily wear watch again.

Given what you’ve said, you need to go Pro. You will be very dissatisfied with the FOIs visibility at a glance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the crown guards are that portion of the Pro case that extend out around the crown. Visually, it makes the watch wear larger, but it still wears smaller than a “traditional” 42mm watch, IMO.

Sapphire will not scratch easily at all, however it’s more susceptible to shattering (never been an issue for most). Hesalite will scratch very easily by comparison but these scratches can be easily removed by you with a rag and Polywatch. The hesalite is plastic and is nearly shatter proof. The sapphire leaves a “milky ring” visual effect around the dial that some don’t like, citing a “warmer” appearance of the hesalite as better looking.

Yes, both watches have lume, but, and this to me is a huge difference, the Pro is MUCH easier to read at a glance. The polished hands on the FOIS, while nice looking, can be difficult to see in some light, requiring a flick of the wrist to see the time. The Pro is eminently visible all the time. This is the reason I sold my first FOIS. However, the FOIS to me is stunning and I have a smaller wrist, plus I work in a more formal environment and I find it dresses up slightly better than the Pro, though the Pro
Looks great with everything. I’ve accepted the FOIS isn’t as easy to see, but it’s 2020 and watches are jewelry for most, not the tools required to tell time they were 50 years ago. So, the FOIS is my daily wear watch again.

Given what you’ve said, you need to go Pro. You will be very dissatisfied with the FOIs visibility at a glance.

Wow it's like you were sent by God to assist me with the exact nature of my questions.

You have made it very clear that the Pro is for me.

Thank you.

Michael

·
Registered
813 Posts
Good timing, as Omega is rumored to have discontinued the current Hesalite and sapphire sandwich models, in favor of 3861 and price hike. For something of a daily wearer I'd personally go for the sapphire sandwich, will look great on a 7" wrist, and frequently check Watchrecon for a BNIB or LNIB example (target under $4500). That said, I do love acrylic, wouldn't have it any other way on my Sinn 356, so if you find a Hesalite for under $3500 I wouldn't hesitate either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a hesalite in near perfect condition for under $3200. 311.30.42.30.01.005 From a reputable seller also.

Pull the trigger?

Michael

·
Registered
454 Posts
Stay with the speedy pro hesalite glass. You can never go wrong with a company's most iconic offering. Buy pre owned definitely. I'd start with a local reputable brick and mortar used dealer or Crown & Caliber or Watchbox. All offer a return policy and you won't get ripped off. Save the forum buying for when you have more experience and understand the game.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I found a hesalite in near perfect condition for under $3200. 311.30.42.30.01.005 From a reputable seller also.

Pull the trigger?

Michael
Yes, before I do.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think of getting one myself as well on and off. I'm not a big chrono fan and never owned one, I usually get confused on making one choice so I wait. I do like this one the more l look..
Pic stolen off forum..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Love the Speedmaster Moonphase. In a different dimension, where I have the wrist to pull off a 44mm Speedmaster, this would be right up there alongside the super cool, super impractical Black Black.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Wow it's like you were sent by God to assist me with the exact nature of my questions.

You have made it very clear that the Pro is for me.

Thank you.

Michael
Ha. My pleasure! So there are four standard Pro models. Hesalite on bracelet (most popular I think); Hesalite on strap; Sapphire on bracelet; and, sapphire on strap. If I were buying a pro, I’d get the sapphire because I like it more than hesalite, and you get the added bonus of a sapphire case back to see the beautiful movement. However it’s $1000 or so more than the hesalite. Most on here would probably say buy the hesalite because it’s more “pure”, akin to what actually was on Aldrin’s wrist. Also, buy on the bracelet if you can spend the extra, because buying it separately later will be much pricier. Anyway, you’ve made a great choice and won’t go wrong with whatever you choose. Congrats!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha. My pleasure! So there are four standard Pro models. Hesalite on bracelet (most popular I think); Hesalite on strap; Sapphire on bracelet; and, sapphire on strap. If I were buying a pro, I’d get the sapphire because I like it more than hesalite, and you get the added bonus of a sapphire case back to see the beautiful movement. However it’s $1000 or so more than the hesalite. Most on here would probably say buy the hesalite because it’s more “pure”, akin to what actually was on Aldrin’s wrist. Also, buy on the bracelet if you can spend the extra, because buying it separately later will be much pricier. Anyway, you’ve made a great choice and won’t go wrong with whatever you choose. Congrats!

Thank you for the encouragement!

I'm going Hesalite on bracelet

I really want to wear it on a super nice looking leather strap.

How do you recommend I find and order a really high quality leather strap? Maybe the exact stitched strap that the FOIS is on?

Michael

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

How do you recommend I find and order a really high quality leather strap? Maybe the exact stitched strap that the FOIS is on?

Michael
Oh man. Your options are endless. Go to the Hodinkee Shop and look at various straps on their “strap finder”. Also, google “Speedmaster strap options” and look and read. Also, check out Instagram. Thousands of pics on thousands of straps, and most enthusiasts will either name the strap in the post or be happy to respond to a message inquiring. The FOIS strap is 19mm.
, but there are many like it. If you really wanted to spend the money, you could get an OEM Omega 20mm strap on deployant clasp....

·
Registered
813 Posts

Michael
Hodinkee straps are nice, but if you're shopping at that price bracket I'd be tempted to splurge a bit more for custom. Aaron at Combat Straps and John at Dangerous 9 are great places to start.

This is a Dangerous9's. Lots more ideas from his gallery, Straps for Omega Speedmaster - Dangerous9straps Blog.

Reactions: John Frum

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sir,

I'll drop this here. Not trying to shill for Geckota, but this is a great vid IMO. I own the Pro Hesalite

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh man. Your options are endless. Go to the Hodinkee Shop and look at various straps on their “strap finder”. Also, google “Speedmaster strap options” and look and read. Also, check out Instagram. Thousands of pics on thousands of straps, and most enthusiasts will either name the strap in the post or be happy to respond to a message inquiring. The FOIS strap is 19mm.
, but there are many like it. If you really wanted to spend the money, you could get an OEM Omega 20mm strap on deployant clasp....

What does Deployant Clasp mean?

Michael

1 - 20 of 38 Posts