WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Posting for the first time after being a long time lurker; everyone here seems really knowledgeable, and I was hoping I could get some help.

I purchased a brand new IWC Pilot Mark XVI from a seemingly well reputed online dealer (Modern Jewels in PA) very recently. I've been lusting after this watch for years, and was very excited when I went to pick it up from my local FedEx depot this morning. I brought it home, took my time unboxing it, reading the manual, inspecting it from every angle and admiring it, before adjusting the bracelet (excellently made and easy to adjust by the way) and winding it for the first time. To my horror, the second hand made a complete revolution of the dial and stopped moving completely at the 43rd second index.

I thought I might not have wound it enough, this being the first time, and took my watch off and wound it a few more times. It seemed to start again, until the second hand stopped on the second revolution of the dial, again at the same place. This has been consistently happening, and the only way to get it started again is taking the watch off, unscrewing the crown and winding it a couple of more times, after which the second hand goes around the dial...and stops again at the same place! o| Let me say that I've owned many mechanical watches in the past, and have not abused my IWC in any way.

I've emailed Gary at Modern Jewels, who I spoke to a few times over the phone before ordering, and he seemed a professional and helpful man; I'm hoping that he will be able to help me with this issue, but I'm understandably very disappointed. It being a brand new watch and under warranty, I called an IWC authorized repairer here in Australia where I'm based, again to get a second shock; they asked me where I purchased the watch from, and told me that since I did not purchase my watch from an AD my warranty is null and void! Is this true?!

Can anyone here shed any light on what might be the issue with my watch, and whether it's still under warranty?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply!

Concerned

·
Registered
779 Posts
First, regarding warranty. Most manufacturers do not honor a warranty unless the watch is purchased from an AD. It seems you purchased from a grey market (GM) dealer, so you would not have a warranty with the IWC.

However, most reputable GMs stand in place of the manufacturer in terms of the warranty, but you have to deal through them. Give the dealer a chance to handle this.

As for the source of the problem, sorry, but I can't help you there.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your watch. It can be very frustrating. I would stop attempting to manipulate it; watch movements are incredibly delicate and continual usage when something is broken or misaligned can end up multiplying the damage many-fold. The IWC XVI is based on the ETA 2892 so most any competent watchmaker should be able to service it. Also, IWC parts are not as restrictive as many other watch brand's parts. I've worked with a few watchmakers and can give you a recommendation if you hit me up with a PM.

·
Registered
15,692 Posts
Nothing more devastating than to receive something brand new to have it defective/not work properly, sorry to hear it. Does Modern Jewels have a return policy? If so, does the "problem" qualify under any return clause?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they do. I emailed MJ and was very pleasantly surprised to receive a prompt email comisserating with me an offering a full refund or exchange I I return the watch. I've found a reputable watchmaker near me who has agreed to look at the watch for me; I've decided that if it's something minor I'll keep the watch, otherwise I'll return it. MJ has offered me a Mark XVII as a replacement, but I'm not a fan. What do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I've stopped the mechanism until I can take it to a watchmaker. I love the look of the mark XVI so much I'm willing to undergo some inconvenience if it can be fixed. Can you recommend some watchmakers in Queensland?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MJ's actually emailed me back promptly offering a full refund or exchange for the watch. I was very surprised. I've decided to get the watch looked at to see if the issue is a minor or major one though...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I would suggest you check with MJ before taking it to a watchmaker to inspect because you might be breaking the terms of MJ's warranty. I suggest you email MJ and ask if they are OK with the watch being checked by a 3rd party.

·
Registered
810 Posts
if the retailer offered full refund or exchange, and since you like the watch, I'd take the exchange rather than getting it looked at by a 3rd party.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yes, they do. I emailed MJ and was very pleasantly surprised to receive a prompt email comisserating with me an offering a full refund or exchange I I return the watch. I've found a reputable watchmaker near me who has agreed to look at the watch for me; I've decided that if it's something minor I'll keep the watch, otherwise I'll return it. MJ has offered me a Mark XVII as a replacement, but I'm not a fan. What do you think?
If they will replace the mark xvi with a xvii I would bite their hand off! I've got the mark xvii and it's an awesome watch! The triple date will grow on you, I wasn't sure 1st of all but over time it grew on me and I bought one and love it, it's 2mm bigger as well which I preferred too, both are great watches

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
It seems you don't have a problem, but for general reference, assuming Aus law is like that in the UK here - which I think it is - then the seller has an absolute duty to replace a faulty item for at least the first year. And then you might get a right to repairs for much longer depending on the price and the exact extent the laws are similar. (Most people don't know this - and to use these rights you do need to be willing to threaten to take people to small claims court.)

My suggestion is that

1. You get the dealer to agree to a wm taking a look

2. You get them to refund the cost of the repair

This is a very good deal for them and they should jump at it.

·
Registered
15,692 Posts
Chipped in with my pennies earlier and nothing more to add, but thx for the Modern Jewels info (I see them on ebay). Since I prefer grey mkt if at all possible, it's nice to have another reputable resource . . .

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Yeah get them to cover repair cost if any if you REALLY Wanna keep it. Otherwise get your money back or opt for the XVII. You seem to have quite a few options here so its not too bad afterall.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
It sounds like a trip to the watchmaker is a possibility. The nice thing for you is that since it is an IWC, it uses an ETA movement which any watchmaker can service. If they are offering an exchange though, I would take that and save yourself the hassle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts