WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here goes…

Neither my girlfriend nor I are people that particularly chase status. However, she (and by extension, I) sometimes end up in social situations where recognizable brands are mentioned, discussed, or shown off. Recently, we were in a setting where Rolexes, Omegas, LV, and Leica were all on display. As a reference, this was a social setting where there were consultants and finance folks in attendance.

As much as I appreciate sturdiness of the VSA I was wearing that day, or the casework on my Archimede, or the blued hands and silvered dial on my Stowa, none of those brands were in the ballpark in that crowd. I’d like to shrug it off, but it’s got me looking for something that ‘fits in’ with that situation.

So my first question: am I just crazy and insecure? Tell me that I am, and I can go back to justifying (to myself) the Seiko SARX017, Archimede Sporttaucher, and Stowa Flieger that I had my eyes on…

Thanks for everybody's thoughts in advance.

Reactions: dsbe90

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
My feeling is that if you're in business (mine was investments) you dress appropriately to the role. In my world, in my time, if you didn't wear a Rolex, preferably all gold, you weren't *dressed for success*. It's too bad that this sort of thing is what makes first impressions but that's the reality. FWIW, I love my Archimede 39H Pilot and am wearing it currently. But on a recent vacation, I strapped on a Rolex GMT II because it's recognizable and people notice. In certain places and circles, the brand gets you better service because of the way you're viewed by others.

So, bottom line, in certain circles, this stuff matters and if you move in those circles you'll want to dress like you belong and that includes your watch. Once you're successful enough you can go back to wearing a less recognizable brand.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I actually am factoring this in for my next watch purchase. I am still new to this game and am looking for something in the $1000 range which is a big jump for me. If I'm going to spend that much on a watch I want to "show it off" and want people to ask me about it. I don't think it necessarily has to be one of the most popular brands but if I get a German, like I'm aiming for, I want it to "pop" a bit so I can school some folks on what they're missing at least. :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm in sales so I see a lot of Rolex's. Its sort of turned me off the brand a bit despite the fact they make great sport watches. It's like they've become part of the sales/investment/banker uniform. But i'm sure this is just an issue for me, because like I said, I don't think most people really care what watch you're wearing as long as you're good at what you do.

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
Most people automatically go to Rolex, Omega, etc. as their default higher end watches because they're not WIS and that's all they know. Not to disparage those brands at all but a WIS is aware of far more incredible and interesting brands and maybe this is your chance to teach them something new. I'll wear my Sinns all day before I jump to one of the "common" brands.

Wear your watches with pride. Get one of the ones you mention. They're great brands that you should wear proudly.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
It depends on the event. I've been to both events where it literally is just a meet and greet and some where we were obviously networking. In those situations you are better off wearing a well known brand. Go for Omega, Cartier, Rolex, IWC, or, if you can pull it off, Patek. Like was mentioned above, you sometimes need to dress for success and in some circles there is a price for entry. That's just the reality of it. And a watch is a man's only piece of jewelry to flaunt. If you don't need to attract the attention of the crowd, then wear what you want. Who knows, it may even be fun to discuss. But if you need to hobnob, then you're better off with a famous brand. And not a famous brand here. But a famous brand.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm in sales so I see a lot of Rolex's. Its sort of turned me off the brand a bit despite the fact they make great sport watches. It's like they've become part of the sales/investment/banker uniform. But i'm sure this is just an issue for me, because like I said, I don't think most people really care what watch you're wearing as long as you're good at what you do.
Not just you, this is also a reason I don't like Rolex much, they are too much of a "look, I have an expensive watch" in the eyes of the general public although I know why the real watch lovers appreciate the brand.

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
You're crazy and insecure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, I'd go down the "your nuts" line. :)

However, as mentioned above, those people you hang with probably all own an Omega or Rolex based on status and are unlikely to have a clue of the value of your Stowa.

In the odd case that one guy DOES know what your Stowa is, while he is sporting a Rolex, you'll probably have a great conversation starter, because if he knows the brand, he's probably an enthusiast, an knows that you didn't just buy it from the corner store.

All of your watches are respectable, good quality pieces, and anyone with a hint of knowledge probably appreciates that more than the Rolex on the guys wrist who only knows 'look I have a rolex'

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If you need to impress people be very, very good at what you do. Nothing impresses the way competence does.

Trying to impress people with expensive baubles is shallow and desperate. And people who are impressed with expensive baubles are shallow and desperate.

Far better to blow people away with your intelligence, skill, and abilities -- these things are genuine reflections of your worth, rather than meaningless trinkets that signify nothing other than your ability to afford (or steal) them. Any jackass can wear a Rolex, it doesn't prove a thing. On the other hand, real competence can't be bought or faked. If you have it let it be your calling card. And watch all the Rolex-wearing poseurs slink away with their tails between their legs.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
As much as I appreciate sturdiness of the VSA I was wearing that day, or the casework on my Archimede, or the blued hands and silvered dial on my Stowa, none of those brands were in the ballpark in that crowd. I’d like to shrug it off, but it’s got me looking for something that ‘fits in’ with that situation.
The fact that my Stowa Marine Original isn't seen on every other wrist makes it even more appealing to me than it already is b-)

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
To the OP, get the watch because you like it not because you want to fit into some social gathering. If you get a Rolex or Omega do it because you want to and you like the particular watch. You should not have to own something you don't like or want just to fit in,

Most people automatically go to Rolex, Omega, etc. as their default higher end watches because they're not WIS and that's all they know. Not to disparage those brands at all but a WIS is aware of far more incredible and interesting brands and maybe this is your chance to teach them something new. I'll wear my Sinns all day before I jump to one of the "common" brands.

Wear your watches with pride. Get one of the ones you mention. They're great brands that you should wear proudly.
I just want to respond to this. As A WIS, I am very aware of many other brands and own many of them. I don't own those other brands because they are more incredible or interesting than Rolex or Omega, because they are certainly not. What they are is different and variety is the spice of life. I am guessing that this is probably what you meant to say.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
i think in that given company it would be great fun to uncover say an atomic G , compare times and tell them all there watches are considerably slow or fast but fabulous none the less;-) rather be the fox than the sheep!

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I happen to like Rolex but I'm sure glad I don't operate in a circumstance in which I would feel underdressed without one.
I am in a group where it is common to see Rolex, Patek, Panerai, Omega, IWC, Cartier, Breitling, Carl Bucherer and many more. These are not watch people, they just like to have nice watches. When I hang out with them, I will purposely wear something oddball to see if they notice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you need to impress people be very, very good at what you do. Nothing impresses the way competence does.

Trying to impress people with expensive baubles is shallow and desperate. And people who are impressed with expensive baubles are shallow and desperate.

Far better to blow people away with your intelligence, skill, and abilities -- these things are genuine reflections of your worth, rather than meaningless trinkets that signify nothing other than your ability to afford (or steal) them. Any jackass can wear a Rolex, it doesn't prove a thing. On the other hand, real competence can't be bought or faked. If you have it let it be your calling card. And watch all the Rolex-wearing poseurs slink away with their tails between their legs.
I tend to think the same way, and I'm glad I (we) don't hang out with this crowd too often. I actually threw on the VSA that day partly because we were going to a birthday party (one of my friends) where something too shiny might've come off the wrong way if someone were to notice.

But the fact that some of her closer friends invite her (us) to hang out with that crowd just has me wondering a bit, I dunno. If I were to pick something to 'fit into' that circle, I would probably go for a Tudor Pelagos - tried it on yesterday, and I spent most of the morning googling it (along with the Black Bay)...

Thanks to all who've replied so far, it's greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 186 Posts