WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some brands seem to have fallen on hard times and lost their prestige and market-share they they once held. I was surprised to hear in another thread that Hamilton once had prestige comparable to Rolex.

Ebel and Concord have been sputtering along over the last few years, but have both undergone relaunches with some beautiful new pieces like the 1911 BTR and C1 Chronograph. I still can't believe Concord eliminated every single watch in its old collection and replaced it with the new C1 at triple the price. A gutsy move indeed.

What other brands are in need of a revitalization?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Quartz damaged many companies and ruined more.

·
Registered
424 Posts
very high end imitations from overseas with eta movements

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Rado is in dire need of a makeover. Their collection seems to consist only of their throwback to the 70's DiaStar, or the overly futuristic ceramic watches. Unfortunately Chanel pretty much took their idea for ceramics and ran with it... leaving Rado high and dry.

It's too bad because they make decent stuff... just a little too dated for it's own good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
"Unfortunately Chanel pretty much took their idea for ceramics and ran with it... leaving Rado high and dry."

I believe it was IWC that introduced the first ceramic case.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Rado needs to do something...I sold Rado for a few years(1999-ish) and didnt care for the quality.The bracelets at the time i was selling them were made in either china or japan*(cant remember which )but i was shocked to see the made in japan sticker on the inside clasp when i quality checked the watches before displaying them.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Elgin and Waltham in the USA. Once great companies, they are now cheap Asian made schlock brands. At least Hamilton was bought by a decent Swiss maker.
On the bright side, Bulova is now owned by a real watchmaker again - Citizen can do a lot with it.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I feel like Longines isn't where it used to be back when it had a relationship with JLC in the US, though it is making something of a comeback with improved branding by Swatch and the anticipation of some custom modified complicated pieces on the way.

I'm not too sure how I feel about the proliferation of 2824 Diver pieces, though -- clearly a strategy to attack Tag Heuer, but I always liked Longines for having 2892's in the majority of its pieces.

I feel like Rotary might be another name, but I don't know their full history that well.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
what do you mean by a strategy to attack Tag? Certainly not disputing this...i'm just not sure what you mean. do you mean that the 2824 divers that aren't Tag are meant to compete in the market against Tag divers? Would seem to make sense. Could you clarify?

I feel like Longines isn't where it used to be back when it had a relationship with JLC in the US, though it is making something of a comeback with improved branding by Swatch and the anticipation of some custom modified complicated pieces on the way.

I'm not too sure how I feel about the proliferation of 2824 Diver pieces, though -- clearly a strategy to attack Tag Heuer, but I always liked Longines for having 2892's in the majority of its pieces.

I feel like Rotary might be another name, but I don't know their full history that well.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
what do you mean by a strategy to attack Tag? Certainly not disputing this...i'm just not sure what you mean. do you mean that the 2824 divers that aren't Tag are meant to compete in the market against Tag divers? Would seem to make sense. Could you clarify?
Oh I meant how Longines this last year introduced the Hydroconquest range, based primarily on the 2824 movements (for the automatic date versions), similar to the Tag Heuer Aquaracer range, which also uses a 2824.

·
Registered
41,827 Posts
:-( Yep, went through that Rado phase some time back, glad I didn't act
on it. Bracelets are just junk, it doesn't take much to break them and
getting links could be a real problem. All flash with little substance.
Rado needs to do something...I sold Rado for a few years(1999-ish) and didnt care for the quality.The bracelets at the time i was selling them were made in either china or japan*(cant remember which )but i was shocked to see the made in japan sticker on the inside clasp when i quality checked the watches before displaying them.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Oh I meant how Longines this last year introduced the Hydroconquest range, based primarily on the 2824 movements (for the automatic date versions), similar to the Tag Heuer Aquaracer range, which also uses a 2824.
I think you're correct in this. Also, it seems that Swatch Group is repositioning brands by moving Omega up a notch to be a more high end Luxury brand (using it's exclusive co-axial movements to compete with Rolex perhaps?) and has moved Longines down a notch to fill Omega's old niche. The Hydroconquest line may have multiple purposes--
-- as you said, to compete with Tag Heuer's sports watches.
-- as affordable substitutes for Omega's Seamasters, which are going to get real expensive when they go all co-axial.
-- as an attempt to change the publics current perception of Longines as a luxury/jewelry watch brand, mainly aimed at women, and associate it with serious sports watches, as it was decades ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts