WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I *thought* I wanted to keep my collection/rotation really small, but I keep finding more watches I want. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the yellow Bernhardt Binnacle Diver that I really want. I've wanted a yellow dial watch badly, and I think I'd love this one. However, when I was about to pull the trigger on it, I ran across Dan Henry watches and became smitten.

I love all of the models in that collection. Also, the thread here about the excellent customer service impressed me. I sent them a message inquiring about their watches this week and got a very nice reply within just a couple of hours.

Brand variety:
I really do want that Bernhardt Diver, but in my small 8 watch collection (that I do want to keep small, btw, and hard capped at 12 if it inches higher) I already have 2 Bernhardts. I absolutely love then, but I thought about it, and I think the Diver would retain some of the same feel. I'm finding that I like variety in my watches. I don't want a huge collection, but I'm finding that I prefer wearing a watch for a few days then changing it up. As much as I love my Bernhardts, I think brand variety for a different feel would be nice. What are your thoughts on having different brands in your collection or negatives of having a large proportion of your watches from just one brand.

Dan Henry:
I like each and every watch in the line. I'm no watch historian, but I love the vintage feel of all of his offerings, and more and more in life I find myself liking things that are retro. Anyway, I have it narrowed down to three that I want: both of the 1939 varieties and the white 1968. Any opinions on these? Are the 1939's readable? I had a Citizen Blue Angels but quickly flipped it because it was a mass of pretty-hard-to-read small numbers to me. I think these would be easier to read in that regard. I think the white would be easier to read, but the black one is just so cool. I love both about equally from extensive looking at them over the past few days. On the other hand, I really, really love retro stuff with late 60's/early 70's feel, and that 1968 has that big time. I don't want to have a big collection, but these are different enough that I'm tempted to get both the 1968 and one of the 1939s.

One small complication here is that Dan Henry has stated that smaller watches are coming down the line, probably this year. I'm finding I like the feel of wearing smaller watches on my 6.75 inch wrists. The 41 mm models want here would be fine, I think, on my upper edge, but if he's going to release 38mm models later, given what he's already offering, I bet I'd love them. I don't feel like waiting, though, and I guess owning even more wouldn't be against the law.

Any thoughts or opinions on this are welcome. This is probably my favorite place on the internet.

Last thought - one plus of me increasing my collection a bit is that I'd be more likely to start participating in the WRUW topic daily. I mostly wear my two Bernhardts most work days, so it would be fun to have enough variety to feel reasonable posting different watches on that daily topic of awesomeness.

Pics of the watches in question here:
Diver-Yellow-Main.jpg

DAN_HENRY_1939_12.jpg

Detail-1968-White-2.jpg

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
As far as brands in a collection are concerned ....... who better to make the call other than you? I have Vostoks, Seikos, Victorinox, Omegas etc .... etc .... and each one was bought because I liked it and I wear them all. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

As for Dan Henry ..... I've never really taken the time to look because none have caught my attention (not to say they are bad or anything else) ..... so I don't know.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
So far, I've managed to stick to a one per brand guideline. But there a few tempting me to make an exception.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Just for the sake of discussion...

I can understand why folks would want to keep it at "one per brand" in order to vary the collection, but I've gone the other way. As I cycled through different brands, I've found that a couple of them had features I prefer and felt better to wear than some other brands (which ones are irrelevant, as fit and features are merely personal preferences). So, I find myself keeping mainly to three core brands now. Works for me. I try others occasionally, but I always seem to sell them after a bit.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I try to limit over saturation on one particular brand since I also have a cap of 12 in my collection. The one exception is Seiko. They have far too many awesome affordable watches to try and keep it limited to just 1. I have a hard cap on Seikos at 4 . The other 8 pieces are one per brand, so 9 different brands in total.

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Why stick to any "rules" that are invented by other people? This is rather like the thing about having watches that fit into categories (diver, pilot, dress, beater, etc), why do it? Sure if that makes you happy then do it, but if you want just divers (.....that'll be me) then do it. As Spartan247 said look at Seiko, you could cover everything with just them with cheap beaters to GS for luxury to rival the Swiss. I know a member on here who adores Steinhart and has more of their watches than I have in my collection......

......buy what you want in short.

·
Registered
852 Posts
A guy at my office was completely indecisive about which watch he was going to buy. So many good options at his price point. I finally told him, "Dude, just pick one and buy it. You're not married to it. If you buy smartly, there's almost no risk if you don't like it. Flip it and move on." If you have the cash, buy what you think you'll enjoy (I would personally enjoy that white 1939 a lot). If you don't enjoy it, flip it and move on! The artificial constraints you set for yourself can be fun if you like satisfying them, but most of us are constrained enough by cash already!

·
Premium Member
71,292 Posts
A collection should make the owner happy and if doing so means that there is a large preponderance of one brand so what?
As for DH they are a superb watch and IMO the 1939 is easier to read than the BA.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I think you can't go wrong with either. But if you already have Bernhardt, step out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rotosphere

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback.

If it makes a difference, to be clear, I'm not trying to follow "watch collection rules of correctness". My post did sound that way, I realize. Just wondering if people personally prefer the difference of different brands or tend to find brands for which they like the feel and get multiple of those. As for collection size, it really does affect my watch happiness. When getting into watches, I thought I'd prefer having just one or two watches, but I've found, to my surprise, I like to switch them up every few days. Still, having a lot of them sitting around seldom worn would bother me a lot. I'd prefer 6 to 8 watches, I think, but this site continues to show me so many great ones that there are more than that I'd love. I'm setting 12 as a personal hard cap, however, because I'm pretty sure more than that would bother me. That's probably also about right with my finances, too, to be honest. I have enough money to have F71 or G Shock fun with watches, but not enough to go crazy on most of the areas of this site, if that makes sense.

I might find and save for an expensive grail some day, but we'll see. I'd like one, but I might not ever get to a place where that would be more important to me that throwing a chunk of money at my girls' future college educations or taking a family vacation. Then again, if some working class people can have a Harley or a Corvette for their toy, I don't think a Speedmaster would be too out of line. That's a topic for another day, though.

Back on this hand, though, I like being an "F71 guy" that finds awesome watches at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I own one Dan Henry and it's made me a big fan. Outstanding value for money and really good looking, well made watches. I haven't needed their customer service, but I hear it's excellent. Hard to go wrong with DH. I bought their new 40MM
dan henry.jpg

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have several Seiko's, mostly modded auto's, Invicta 8926's (all modded), more and more micro's all the time, and all of them "affordable". I have a multiples from some makers because I've been pleased with prior offerings. Since you brought up Bernhardt, I'll mention that I have four of them. My SeaShark was my first micro. Someone suggested the Dan Henry 1970 as a substitute for the Bernhardt Binnacle Diver (same as my SeaShark). Since I own both I feel a little qualified to comment on that. In my experience, my SeaShark has been tough as nails and I often choose it if there's a chance of my watch taking a beating. When I received my 40mm DH 1970 I planned poorly and ended up breaking the crystal the second day I wore it. Dumb, on my part, but the proud crystal took a hit on the edge and shattered. The SeaShark doesn't have that vulnerability. Totally my fault, but I got a chance to try out Dan's customer service.

I sent them an email explaining my problem and they quickly replied with a quote for a crystal and gasket. I planned to install it myself. Since the parts were coming from Hong Kong, it took about 10 days to get them. Unfortunately, when they arrived they were for a 44mm 1970. I emailed them again and they apologized and said there weren't spare parts for the 40mm yet so they would send me a new watch. So, I sent the busted one back and they sent me a new one. Excellent service, IMO.

Hope some of this helps.

Scott

·
Registered
224 Posts
i've always subscribed to the 'if you like it + can afford it = buy it' policy. i think there's something to be said for finding a brand by chance that you like a lot; if you've had good experiences somewhere it's logical to continue to buy from them.

on the topic of dan henry i love them. but, as a bit of a broken record, the one thing i wish my 1970 had is a sapphire crystal. i would have been willing to pay more to get sapphire on that watch. other than that it's a great watch.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I imagine that quite a lot of people would be able to build an entire, versatile collection from one brand only. There are no rules here, except the self imposed ones.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I'm sure it's mostly a matter of personal temperament, but I absolutely refuse to own more than watch by a single watchmaker. There are too many options out there for me to double, triple, quadruple, etc. up. My collection consists of 17 pieces and will stop at 20. All are and will be from different makers.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm sure it's mostly a matter of personal temperament, but I absolutely refuse to own more than watch by a single watchmaker. There are too many options out there for me to double, triple, quadruple, etc. up. My collection consists of 17 pieces and will stop at 20. All are and will be from different makers.
I'm with you on that sentiment, and for the most part own a single one of each brand I own, but somehow, over the years, I've managed to acquire several Seikos. Not sure how it happened (or how to avoid it).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts