WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Really pretty with the domed crystal and does look like a Junghans.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Their first one is one of my favourite watches. Awesome build quality for the price. The crystal doesn't even have a microscratch after months of use. This new offering feels like a 100% purchase for me, but I will probably try to offload the quartz watch on the bay or here because they are a little too similar. (+ I have a DW already)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered one of these a few days ago.

Thought the design looked really nice and well-crafted, sort of like a Junghans (admittedly). The hour, minute and second markers really make it work for me. Never seen markers like these on a Junghans, so they do bring something new to the table.

The marketing and communication of this thing is a complete FAIL, as people have already pointed out. The connection to the Sherpa makes no sense whatsoever. There is no engaging or even believable story here. It just sounds completely fabricated, fake and totally absurd. I also believe most of their online reviews are faked, although it's just a feeling. The fact that they posted a picture of a different movement than is actually in the watch is really disingenuous and makes me worried as well. If you look at the media coverage they claim to have gotten, most of it is about the bearded model in their promo-shots and doesn't even mention their company. Really fake-y to call that "media coverage" .

There's just something really disingenuous about this company.

I'm really on the fence about maybe cancelling my order. Help? On the other hand, this whole thing might just be a complete Marketing & Communications FAIL, and nothing to do with the actual product, which might still be a fine product (as the pics and specs suggest).

What do you think?

·
Banned
87 Posts
What do you think?
Shipping was really slow for my first watch, probably around 3-4 weeks to Europe, but after receiving it I had no complaints at all. They even shipped me a complimentary strap after I had enquired for it. I agree the Sherpa connection is rather strange but I have no doubts that you will get a quality watch in the mail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Gents, thank you for starting this thread.

I really enjoyed reading your feedback on the design and campaign.

We too have realised that the work behind the campaign is not getting through on our existing platform so we are creating a new website to better share our work and efforts with the Sherpas that will be released in two months.

When founding BRATHWAIT we wanted to create a company that was based on the characteristics of a Gentleman. In doing so we want to look beyond ourself and apply this philosophy not only on our "about page", but in the real world. We reached out to the people that we admire the most, the Sherpas of the Himalayas.

I personally find the relationship between the Sherpa community and the west very interesting; They often meet up the base of Mt. Everest, while climbing together, one risk his life for glory and fame, and the other is humbly trying to earn a living. The latter, the Sherpa is per our definition a true Gentleman.

Now what we want to do is invest in alternatives to risking their life above the death zone of 8000 meters where no human body can acclimatise to sustain life. Today, mountain guiding below 8000 meters does not yield enough through a season to support their families so we want to aid in alternatives we may discover together.

Our charity is run together with Sherpas of Nepal, we will share their profiles, stories and our work together on the new website.

So far we have sold 77 automatic watches. This gives us $1,975 to start of with.

The picture of the movement some are mentioned is just embarrassing, we uploaded the wrong picture due to a project file that had the same name.

Thank you again for showing interest in BRATHWAIT.

Sincerely,
Henrik.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I really like the look of this watch. It reminds me of a gold Rodina w/non-chinese movement. The case is very similar. Simple and elegant. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
helenarou used to have flieger cases for the 64xx. You might take a look. That O Frei case is available with either mineral or sapphire, or at least it used to be. I have the sapphire version. It does what it's supposed to do, but nothing sexy about it. I think the 64xx looks a bit better in a 42mm case, at minimum. Gives a bit more room to the bezel, but if you've a minimalist dial, then I suppose the 41mm is okay. Never seen a 40mm case for the 64xx.

Thanks ffritz. I did find a 41mm case at Otto Frei but that is the only one. I would like to stay on the smaller size but I did find a few 43mm cases with diamond crown which would make for a neat flieger. Still just researching and will probably pick up a certain homage with the st36. I watched a great video of disassembly/reassembly today. Doesn't look too difficult with the right tools.Cheers and thanks,RJ

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ordered one of these a few days ago.

Thought the design looked really nice and well-crafted, sort of like a Junghans (admittedly). The hour, minute and second markers really make it work for me. Never seen markers like these on a Junghans, so they do bring something new to the table.

The marketing and communication of this thing is a complete FAIL, as people have already pointed out. The connection to the Sherpa makes no sense whatsoever. There is no engaging or even believable story here. It just sounds completely fabricated, fake and totally absurd. I also believe most of their online reviews are faked, although it's just a feeling. The fact that they posted a picture of a different movement than is actually in the watch is really disingenuous and makes me worried as well. If you look at the media coverage they claim to have gotten, most of it is about the bearded model in their promo-shots and doesn't even mention their company. Really fake-y to call that "media coverage" .

There's just something really disingenuous about this company.

I'm really on the fence about maybe cancelling my order. Help? On the other hand, this whole thing might just be a complete Marketing & Communications FAIL, and nothing to do with the actual product, which might still be a fine product (as the pics and specs suggest).

What do you think?
What I think is that your post is a bit strange. You say you ordered a couple of days ago and yet bring up again about the different movement even though the picture error was rectified some time ago, about a month at least IIRC.
As regards the faked media coverage, a quick google brought up a number of articles about their watches that are not just about the bearded model. In fact none of them are about the model with the exception that they reproduce some pictures featuring the model and the watches.

Yes, the Sherpa thing is a little odd, but thats just marketing. Many a marketing campaign was based on odd and even factually dubious claims. Coca-Cola during it's very early inception was marketed as curing diseases and conditions such as impotence and morphine addiction! We now know that to be untrue (at least to my knowledge it is) and in fact in excessive consumption is actually hazardous to your health.
Clearly it's not quite the same thing as modern marketing and advertising is a lot different than the days of the late 19th century, but I hope it illustrates my point. It's a marketing ploy, same way as wearing Nike and Reebok etc don't necessarily make you a better sportsperson but they give off that vibe in some of their adverts.
The company says there is an actual link to the Sherpa's, it might be rather odd and appear spurious but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not true or trustworthy.

As regards your post and what I think? I think it appears to be an attempt to discredit Brathwait as a company. Again, that may not be true or trustworthy, but that certainly to me seems to be the message that you are marketing.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Got mine!

IMG_20150218_204958 - Copy.jpg
Wrist shot

IMG_20150218_205122 - Copy.jpg

Posing with its little brother.

First impression: Excellent finishing, nice domed crystal, deployment clamp feels sturdy. Leather was a bit stiff but already starting to take shape. It was a little difficult to understand how the butterfly clasp worked. I've never had a Miyota 9015, but I reacted to the rotor spinning rather freely inside the case. It does seem to autowind without issues though!

Oh, and it hacks, woo!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a brand new stainless steel automatic that has just passed their 30 day return window. Although it is such a beautiful and lovely watch, I think I prefer a ceramic or titanium for my skin’s comfort. If you’d like to buy it for a reduced price, just let me know, thank you :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a brand new stainless steel automatic that has just passed their 30 day return window. Although it is such a beautiful and lovely watch, I think I prefer a ceramic or titanium for my skin’s comfort. If you’d like to buy it for a reduced price, just let me know, thank you :)

Do you still have it ?! Im interested!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts