WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Two years ago, I only wore Timex and Fossil, but since that first Seiko, I’ve been moving upstream and have multiple mechanical pieces in my “collection.” Admittedly, I was hesitant to even get the watches I did get for fear of seeming a little excessive (No one I work with wears anything nicer than a Apple Watch) but I think I’m ready to pull the trigger on something a little nicer.

I’m fawning over the Heritage BB41 (black dial), but I’m open to other options. Budget $3K max.

Here are the pros for me:
  • Love the black, high-contrast dial (really picky about color on watches), and love the handset that feels a little easier to dress down compared to dauphine or alpha hands
  • I prefer an understated presentation. To me, the BB41 is a great example of real substance, without too much flash. It’s a great insider watch. Those who know, know, and those who don’t can still acknowledge it’s a cool looking watch (love my Nomos for the same reason)
  • Maybe you won’t wear it dressed to the nines and not while weeding your garden, but it literally works for pretty much anything else in between (it’ll replace 2-3 watches in my collection)
  • I kind of like that it doesn’t use an in-house movement
  • And it makes me feel like I’ve entered a new rung of watch collecting by owning one of the big heritage brands. I doubt my very young children will wear mechanical watches when they grow up, but I like the idea of something that will stay with me for a long time.
Two “medium” cons:
  • The size: My watch sweet spot is 38-40mm cases. I really don’t like buying outside that range unless I’m going slightly bigger for something with a rotating bezel. But if I have to go outside, I prefer bigger to smaller (especially if it’s not too thick)
  • No date. All my watches I wear 3+ times a week have a date function. For something I wear that frequently, I’d prefer a date
I know the watch is well-loved in this community. Any regrets? What else would you recommend (especially if it has a date and is not a diver)? Or is it really the case that the Tudor BB can’t be beat?

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
I think the BB41 is a superb watch and at its price point I dont think there's much out there to compare
Yes, there's a sporty Sinn or dressier Nomos or maybe a nice Bremont or entry Breitling in the 3k range, or even a Seiko Prospex 300
and yes you could get a minty preloved Seamaster or Speedmaster -
but if the size/aesthetic of the BB41 is what you are after, for the money/quality/value a new Tudor BB is ahead of its peers

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
The BB are fine watches and the Tudor in-house movements are a joy. Like you, I strongly prefer a date. My wrist is 6.5" flat and 38-40mm wear great on me. That said, watches significantly larger or smaller (32mm dress Seiko, 44.8mm Seiko diver) can work very well. So, 41mm should wear fine for you if your wrist is roughly the same.
For me, missing the date actually turns out to be a deal breaker in the long run. I've owned three no-date watches. Nice ones. And eventually sold them off in part because it bothered me to keep looking for a date and not finding it.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I like it a lot, but 2 problems.

1. If you don't like big watches and prefer 38-40, the 41 may not be for you. It is thick and slab sided. I have no problem wearing a 41mm watch, but even I thought it felt a bit thick and disproportionate.

2. It is probably one of my favorite Tudor designs, but there is no way I'd pay more than 2k for it. If your max budget is 3k, I'd look around more. If you find one used below 2k, that would be worth looking into, but beyond that I think there is a lot more out there for the money and even less in my opinion.

Reactions: LosAngelesTimer

·
Registered
182 Posts
The bb41 size and lack of date will bother you over time. I have two black bays that I have enjoyed but have come to realize I need a date on all my watches. Check out Monta Triumph or Atlas for a field watch look like the bb41, but in a much better size and much more comfortable bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Maybe a Oris Aquis? I think your choice a Tudor Black bay cant really be beat. Its one of the most desired watches in that price point as far as divers go. What about the new Blue BB58?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Do you mean the BB41, as Tudor calls it ("Black Bay 41" is its official name), or the Black Bay dive watch in a 41mm size? I assume you mean the former, but several replies suggests you meant the latter.

If the former, I find it a bit wide and flat, and the movement is nothing special. It is comfortable if you have a wider wrist. If the latter, get the Black Bay Steel. It's still a bit heavy and slabby, but has a good movement that doesn't appear to have a structural design flaw, like the Black Bay GMT. It's also more easily found discounted, being a less common variant.

If you like Tudor, the North Flag is still available, is smaller, has a date and the good Tudor movement. If not, Breitling Superocean Heritage with manufacture movement is a retro alternative, and there are plenty of Sinns available at 40mm or under.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all! But to clarify, I’m interested in the clean bezel BB41 (the bigger version of the BB36). And I’m definitely not looking for a diver or anything with a rotating bezel for this purchase.

Reactions: BHWookie11

·
Registered
578 Posts
Given the criteria I'm inclined to agree with your pick. I do want to add that the BB41 wears big, IME it certainly wore as big, if not bigger than the 42mm SMPc. I don't know your wrist size or your style, but for my 7 1/8" wrist the BB41 was too large, and I ended up with the BB36. It was perfect when dressed up under dress shirts, albeit a tad small when worn with t-shirts. But it was fitting with the overall vintage vibe.

Reactions: Calumets

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you tried the BB36? You might prefer the proportions a little more. If this is your first time in this price point, definitely try one on first. Even if you try it out at the AD but buy Grey market later.

If you’re into the high visibility thing, around that price, I would also recommend looking at a Sinn 856.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
862 Posts
Perhaps a used Omega Aqua Terra? It's not a diver and has a date. I believe the older versions used a modified ETA 2892 so you're not necessarily getting an in-house movement either. Prices seem to be between $1800-3000. Looks like that may fit the bill.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Given the criteria I'm inclined to agree with your pick. I do want to add that the BB41 wears big, IME it certainly wore as big, if not bigger than the 42mm SMPc. I don't know your wrist size or your style, but for my 7 1/8" wrist the BB41 was too large, and I ended up with the BB36. It was perfect when dressed up under dress shirts, albeit a tad small when worn with t-shirts. But it was fitting with the overall vintage vibe.
I think the BB is a really classy watch. I have a 7.25inch wrist and went with the 36 (tried both), but then I quite like smaller. However, if you already know you prefer a date wheel, you should maybe trust that instinct. Having said that, I preferred a date until I got so old I couldn't read it anymore (don't like cyclops). Now I much prefer no date.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
For a bit more money, a Pelagos adds a date, but bumps up the size to 42 mm. If you can handle the size, the titanium case and bracelet makes it easier to wear. And the bracelet has a quick adjust feature. The BB41 GMT (I own one) is a 41mm watch, adding the GMT hand. Some are still reporting date issues. I've had mine for 6 weeks and no issues. Warranties now on Tudor are 5 years, which is pretty good. Consider that when looking at other models.

I disagree that the movement in BB41 is "nothing special." It's a manufacture movement with an excellent reputation for accuracy and durability.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see a couple people saying I should take a harder look at the BB36. I’m certainly willing to try it out, but I’m skeptical. My wrist is 7.25, and my size reference for too small is a Hamilton KF auto 38. Though 38, it wears smaller than I like, so I’d imagine a 36 wouldn’t help, even with the longer lugs.

As for Sinn, there’s something about the 556/856 that just doesn’t do it for me, while it certainly checks the boxes on paper. But I’ve never had a chance to try it in the metal to change my mind. Though I do like Sinn. The 104 is cool, and if I ever decide I want a chronograph, the 356 is the only thing I’d consider buying (short of a SMP).

·
Registered
578 Posts
I see a couple people saying I should take a harder look at the BB36. I’m certainly willing to try it out, but I’m skeptical. My wrist is 7.25, and my size reference for too small is a Hamilton KF auto 38. Though 38, it wears smaller than I like, so I’d imagine a 36 wouldn’t help, even with the longer lugs.

As for Sinn, there’s something about the 556/856 that just doesn’t do it for me, while it certainly checks the boxes on paper. But I’ve never had a chance to try it in the metal to change my mind. Though I do like Sinn. The 104 is cool, and if I ever decide I want a chronograph, the 356 is the only thing I’d consider buying (short of a SMP).
With a 7.25" wrist you'll be fine with the BB41, the BB36 might even look too diminutive. I had misread no date as one of the requirements, this certainly does open up some more options. Particularly an AT, either sizes. You should be able to get a 8500 AT for under $3k. I personally like the AT a tad more than the BB, hindered only slightly by the dual AR coating. And good taste in Sinn 😈

Reactions: DC_Brown

·
Registered
578 Posts
I disagree that the movement in BB41 is "nothing special." It's a manufacture movement with an excellent reputation for accuracy and durability.
I don't know if I would call an ETA a manufacture caliber, but I suspect you're confusing it with the MT5602.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I own Tudors and Omegas and a slightly used AquaTerra sounds like the way I'd go in your situation.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts