WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a vintage Seamaster in rough shape. The case was well handled, the crystal was shot and the watch, though running, was losing buckets of time. It was dirty and sitting on a broken Speidel metal bracelet. How could I resist??

I swapped the crystal, lightly polished the case (Talking cape cod-lightly. Not much deep stuff smost marks came out with some patience), had the movement fully serviced by a local watchmaker, added a Hirsch duke strap and found an Omega buckle on the 'bay that was a nice match for strap and watch. The watch originally was only $75. I invested about $200 on the other stuff but the final product makes me smile. The watch is a 351 bumper from 1951. I love the linen texture dial. And it is keeping terrific time.

Those who know me will proclaim it will be on the sales forum in no time at all. I can definitively say this one won't go that route...how can I state this?? I am actually giving it to a friend as a gift before I can flip it!!

Posting this thread as a reminder that there are gems in the rough out there. It is such a good feeling to breathe new life into a piece that had been shuffling around in someone's junk drawer. On to a few pics:

I should have taken more snaps before restoration...this is the only one I can find:

And now on to the finished product:

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
I love to see something old recycled. This was a masterful job. Well done, it looks fantastic!

·
Banned
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words. It was most enjoyable to put in a little effort and get a nice result. It is going to make a great gift for a true enthusiast. Makes me want to find another for my own. I love how alive this movement feels.

·
Registered
8,410 Posts
You really lucked out to have the dial in such great condition under the crystal. Extremely nice and always fun to see the before and afters. Congratulations!

·
Banned
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Someone once told me that the dial was the most important thing when looking at a vintage piece. Cases can be polished, movements serviced. This style may be more common than I know, but indeed I did fall for the dial when I grabbed the watch. Just not used to seeing that sort of texture..and I love the gold markers and black accents. I better stop before I talk myself out of gifting it!

·
Banned
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What a fantastic transformation Alan.
Great job getting the ole' girl back in order.
Now who you guys giving us for Theo? :-d

~Dave
Ha....question of the day! Whoever it is, the Cubs should just cough it up. Our organization is so messed up, there is no single player that could be more important than a full organizational overhaul.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nice work. I love watch restoration threads. It's fun seeing old watches brought back from the dead. I did it once with a 1995 bond that was POUNDED that I got off a guy locally. It's very satisifying!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.