WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Sorry for reviving this yet again. I've always wanted to start with Breguet, and in my quest to find an ultimate dressy but universal timepiece in that range, stumbled upon this one. Hadn't realized it could be so accessible second hand.

Do any of the owners know the lug to lug distance on these? 39mm case is definitely my size, but the lugs look very large (I can wear 49mm max).

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Sorry for reviving this yet again. I've always wanted to start with Breguet, and in my quest to find an ultimate dressy but universal timepiece in that range, stumbled upon this one. Hadn't realized it could be so accessible second hand.

Do any of the owners know the lug to lug distance on these? 39mm case is definitely my size, but the lugs look very large (I can wear 49mm max).
OP states in his review that the lugs are large and aggressive but he mentions a 6.7" wrist. Here is one of his wrist shots to consider...

91015367-BD02-485F-B20D-4884D2D9E454_zpssvubdwct.jpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
My measuring capability is limited..an app on my iPad but I get 49-50mm lug to lug. On March 23, I posted a wrist shot on my 71/4" wrist.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Beautiful watch and superb review! The marine big date is a favorite of mine. Though I'm curious as to how you owners pull it off. Do you keep it with more dressed up business and business casual attire? Or is this watch able to be worn with jeans and t shirt/vaca attire?

·
Registered
329 Posts
The rubber strap takes it out of the "dressed up/business" for me, so I wear it sport/casual. It sort of competes with a Daytona for wrist time. The Daytona gets worn more when here is a better shot of it getting banged around. Spangles use of the leather strap would would let me use the Marine for dress up. Shorts, casual dress, vacation attire. I'm in Cabo San Lucas,MX now and it gets worn a lot..business watches stayed home..:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
The rubber strap takes it out of the "dressed up/business" for me, so I wear it sport/casual. It sort of competes with a Daytona for wrist time. The Daytona gets worn more when here is a better shot of it getting banged around. Spangles use of the leather strap would would let me use the Marine for dress up. Shorts, casual dress, vacation attire. I'm in Cabo San Lucas,MX now and it gets worn a lot..business watches stayed home..:)
Haha I would think the watch would fit in their nicely! Thanks for your insight, the more I look, the more I see it's ability for casual wear on the rubber!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Thanks to the OP and everyone who posted in this thread. I am extremely tempted to buy it. I love everything about it, except I have small wrists (6 1/4 inch) and the lugs are long (I read about 49-50mm lug-to-lug). I tried one on and I had to use the last notch on the rubber strap for it to fit. I forgot to take a photo at the store, but I have attached a couple of pictures of my Grand Seiko (40mm, lug-to-lug 45-46mm). Is the 5817 just too big for my wrist?

image1.JPG IMG_0036.JPG

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just let my wife try my Marine..her wrist is about the same size as yours. It could be worn but is definitely on the large size. Whether you find it too large for you is a personal choice. I own a 44mm GO that I wear but it's a large watch for me.

have you looked at the Cartier Ballon Bleu? I just bought my wife the watch in a 33mm but they make a 36 that would fit you nicely..imo. THe guilloche dial is gorgeous and it's a very nice watch. I don't personally like the funky covered winding stem but she does and maybe you will. No date.

just a thought

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have 6.25 wrist also but quite flat. The 5817 fit great for me despite the long lug to lug due to the fact that those lugs are curved quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I just let my wife try my Marine..her wrist is about the same size as yours. It could be worn but is definitely on the large size. Whether you find it too large for you is a personal choice. I own a 44mm GO that I wear but it's a large watch for me.

have you looked at the Cartier Ballon Bleu? I just bought my wife the watch in a 33mm but they make a 36 that would fit you nicely..imo. THe guilloche dial is gorgeous and it's a very nice watch. I don't personally like the funky covered winding stem but she does and maybe you will. No date.

just a thought
Thanks for your help; greatly appreciated. I have looked at the Cartier Ballon Bleu; like you I do not like the covered winding stem.

As for the Marine, when I tried it on I did think it was on the large size, but not too large. I generally prefer more subtle watches. Indeed, I was all set to get a VC Patrimony but I could not envisage many occasions when I would wear it. As such, I have decided I will get that a few years down the track.

When I bought my GS I also had fears it was too thick; now it seems normal to me. I am pretty certain that I am having the same fears with the lugs on the Marine. I am just getting over my preconceived notions that all watches should be understated!

Once again, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have 6.25 wrist also but quite flat. The 5817 fit great for me despite the long lug to lug due to the fact that those lugs are curved quite a bit.
Thanks for your input. The curvature on the lugs is indeed quite pronounced.

I will try the Marine on again. As long as I am satisfied the watch does not wear too large, I will buy it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Bringing it back... So I've been upgrading my evolving collection.. Mainly modern watches.. (can't do vintage), had omegas, tutimas, rolex.. Lots of micros.. Now I want something nice.. But not a fan of ap... And I originally had my heart set on a Glasshute original panomatic lunar.. But that was 10 years ago.. And it's quite dressy.. I don't dress up too often.. So I would want something more sporty... Hence.. The breguet marine... I fell in love! Now to find one pre owned...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 65 Posts