WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lusting over this Breguet Marine 5847BB with rubber strap and it keeps calling my name..! Any comments or thoughts on this lovely piece..? Talk me into it please..!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Post a picture of the watch you are talking about when making a post or starting a thread. It will help the conversation.

This is the watch:
5847bb_92_5zv.jpg

BD-Breguet_5847BB_white_front_1200x.jpg

It's 44mm and a bit clunky for me. I have most of the Breguet Marine line (not sure how that happened), but not this one. However, it fills an interesting dressy dive watch role for Breguet that no other watch in their collection does. I could see it calling to someone, for sure. Very masculine, yet classy.

Contrary to a lot of people, I think the Breguet Marine line is really part of what high end men's watches have evolved into. They are sportier now, generally, and while there is always a place for traditional dress watches, it looks as though tastes have changed, moving a sports dress watch into the place where a traditional dress watch may have been worn (and still can be, of course!).

Please consider something like AP: During the recent downturn, Audemars Piguet actually increased their market share based almost solely on their Royal Oak and Royal Oak Offshore collections. People often speak as though AP has a weakness for relying on these two lines, both would have been considered sports watches in the past, and therefore limited in scope. However, it is the opposite, the Royal Oak is a modern dressy watch (the lines of what men wear having shifted towards a sporty look, you see), and the Offshore fills that modern sports watch line.

Rolex datejust/day-date, PP Nautilus/aquanaut, VC Overseas (look at the wg version), there are a lot of these kind of watches and they are very popular. The Breguet Marine line is a great example, and I think they are fantastic. All these sort of watches go very easily from boardroom to beach and back. The Marine line, particularly the 5817 big date, are very successful as their elegance is tempered with slightly stronger look than a traditional dress watch.

C8C82332-D69B-4B7E-9228-A5F49464AF98_zpsw8kbc2ii.jpg

Of course, the Breguet DNA is most apparent with their classique and la tradition lines, and these are wonderful as well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post a picture of the watch you are talking about when making a post or starting a thread. It will help the conversation.

This is the watch:
View attachment 12650139

View attachment 12650141

It's 44mm and a bit clunky for me. I have most of the Breguet Marine line (not sure how that happened), but not this one. However, it fills an interesting dressy dive watch role for Breguet that no other watch in their collection does. I could see it calling to someone, for sure. Very masculine, yet classy.

Contrary to a lot of people, I think the Breguet Marine line is really part of what high end men's watches have evolved into. They are sportier now, generally, and while there is always a place for traditional dress watches, it looks as though tastes have changed, moving a sports dress watch into the place where a traditional dress watch may have been worn (and still can be, of course!).

Please consider something like AP: During the recent downturn, Audemars Piguet actually increased their market share based almost solely on their Royal Oak and Royal Oak Offshore collections. People often speak as though AP has a weakness for relying on these two lines, both would have been considered sports watches in the past, and therefore limited in scope. However, it is the opposite, the Royal Oak is a modern dressy watch (the lines of what men wear having shifted towards a sporty look, you see), and the Offshore fills that modern sports watch line.

Rolex datejust/day-date, PP Nautilus/aquanaut, VC Overseas (look at the wg version), there are a lot of these kind of watches and they are very popular. The Breguet Marine line is a great example, and I think they are fantastic. All these sort of watches go very easily from boardroom to beach and back. The Marine line, particularly the 5817 big date, are very successful as their elegance is tempered with slightly stronger look than a traditional dress watch.

View attachment 12650163

Of course, the Breguet DNA is most apparent with their classique and la tradition lines, and these are wonderful as well.
Thanks a lot for taking the time for your thoughtful input . I am sorry about the pictures as I was not sure how to link like you just did but yes that is the one I am just about to pull the trigger on this week I think. Just recently bought my very first breguet the Traditional 7077BB and need to get it unwrapped soon and take a few better pictures of it..Again thanks..

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
The little musical note subdial thing, is this a minute repeater or something along the lines?

The Marine line is gorgeous, one of my favourites to catch in the HEW forum.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
That one's not really my cup of tea, but that's just me. However...if you are new to high end watches and you've already just bought a Breguet, I would follow Spangles' advice and look at all the other choices (well, at least look at some of them) before pulling the trigger on something so expensive so soon after the first. Good grief, man, you've not even taken the other one out of its wrapping, according to your other thread.

Personally, I would also worry about the resale of the 5847--not a piece that will appeal to a lot of people, and if you decide you're not fond of it after a bit, you will take a bath on resale, I would think.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I also do agree that there is many more exciting watches to fill a void, and now from what i have read here so far, I am also now getting 2nd thoughts on buying it new..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I keep looking and keep coming back to this piece for some reason. Can I get some love for this watch someone..? :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I just had to have this one..The Breguet Marine Royale 5847BB 45MM.. Ordered and on the way for overnight first thing in the morning delivery on FRIDAY..YES That will be two Breguets in the quiver..:)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm starting to think these are imaginary watches.
I highly suggest you save your insults for elsewhere ok..? This is about a watch I just bought in high end category and your comment is inflammatory to me..

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Did you get the white dial, or black?

Wrist shots of both Breguets, please!

It will be an awesome dress and sport duo.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you get the white dial, or black?

Wrist shots of both Breguets, please!

It will be an awesome dress and sport duo.
White dial or do you mean silver dial and if that, I purchased it with a silver dial as that is the only one that appealed to me with the blued breguet hand. Yes I promise to one of these days do wrist shots like everyone else does here.. I am awaiting for this beauty to arrive before noon on friday..

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Ok I just had to have this one..The Breguet Marine Royale 5847BB 45MM.. Ordered and on the way for overnight first thing in the morning delivery on FRIDAY..YES That will be two Breguets in the quiver..:)
Hahahahaha. You have way too much money :) Enjoy your watches in good health.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hahahahaha. You have way too much money :) Enjoy your watches in good health.
Yes without your health everything else is meaningless..!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I prefer the base model Marine which I feel is good value. There is too much going on with this one for me. Besides, with this model being an alarm, it can’t be too far off from Aquanaut money... (I take that back, after googling it appears almost double Aquanaut money, yikes!)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts