WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been playing with the idea of adding a gold piece to my completely stainless steel collection. I’ve been debating between two pieces and I’m having difficulty deciding.

Breguet Marine Chronograph 42mm
IMG_6639.JPG

Girard Perregaux Laureato 44mm
IMG_6640.JPG

Open to hearing any other suggestions, I would like to keep the price below $20k secondhand. Also would need to be between 42mm to 46mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I’ve been playing with the idea of adding a gold piece to my completely stainless steel collection. I’ve been debating between two pieces and I’m having difficulty deciding.

Open to hearing any other suggestions, I would like to keep the price below $20k secondhand. Also would need to be between 42mm to 46mm.
Two very different watches, given the Evo 3 Laureato is a sports watch. Nothing wrong with that, but based on your criteria, have you considered the GP WW.TC - it's got a busy dial like the Laureato full-calendar, GMT, chronograph, but is a bit dressier to better compete with the Breguet. There is a also a GP Chrono to better match the Brequet, but it is more expensive, and smaller too, so the WW.TC is my contribution.

Photo credit: Christie’s

2011_GNV_01383_0190_000(girard-perregaux_a_large_and_heavy_18k_gold_automatic_world_time_chron).jpg

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That is a bit of an apple/orange comparison from an aesthetic point of view. Rather than providing an opinion on these two pieces or provide random recommendations of other $20k watches (of which there are many excellent examples), I would encourage you to provide for more general guidance. Beyond being gold and relatively large, what are you looking for in a watch? Dressy? Sporty? Bling? Classic understatement? Horologically interesting? A pure aesthetic experience with no concern for horological significance? Do you want a specific complication? I guess more guidance would be helpful. Without more information, you will likely get recommendations for everything from an Hublot Big Bang in rose gold ($18k on Chrono24) to a Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer Manufacture ($20k) (both of which are gold and meet your size requirements but are very different in every other way).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Like everyone is saying it's two different watches really, but it all boils down to personal preference. Why not give it some more time to choose which one you like better. Also, price below 20k just widens your choices more and if you can provide what type of watch you are looking for, aside from the watch being gold, then people here can recommend.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I echo Tohono’s comment – assistance requires clarity otherwise everyone’s shooting in the dark.
However, and to sort of kick things off, how about one of the following:

Moser Pioneer
Piaget Polo 45 (G0A38149)
G-P Laureato (RG/Titanium)
G-P Chrono Hawk
Bvlgari Octo (Finissimo if you can up the budget or sacrifice a piece or two)
Blancpain L-Evolution or Fifty Fathoms

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Gold and sports watch don't really jive for me, but as the Breguet is the dressier of the two, I'd go for that. Gold marine chronometers are a nice compromise between sporty and dressy I think so I'd also echo the UN suggestion above.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gonna throw this out there for something a bit different, but what about something like this?

GP 1966 Ref 49534-52-711-BK6A

GP 1966 RG.PNG

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
42, and bigger, is huge for a gold watch, IMO. I would definitely want to try those two choices on before making a choice because I think they will wear very "big" and loud. They both have a lot of gold surface area, and the Breguet has lots of polished area, too. Both of these styles make for very bold looks.

I really like the older, smaller and less complicated Marine big date in gold, as a choice. On the GP side, a gold 4956 chrono at 40mm wears big, is much less expensive and a beauty. If you want the larger size, though, the GP worldtimer is much more understated for a 43mm watch.

Of the two original choices, I'd probably lean towards Breguet. Am I right in assuming that the Breguet is wildly expensive and the GP pretty reasonable, in comparison?

·
Registered
852 Posts
you can't go wrong with Blancpain Villeret, there rose gold is special
the Blancpain villeret quantieme complet 6263-3642-55a is a 38mm piece of art that set well on the wrist and wears a little bigger than its size.

BP 6263.png

another option would be the Blancpain villeret quantieme complet 6654-3642-55b which is a 40mm lovely annual calendar watch with the quick setting pushers hidden behind the lugs

blancpain-6654-3642-55b.jpg

both watches are above the 20K mark you indicated but they are worth the price

·
Registered
127 Posts
To be fair, I've definitely wanted to compare two different things from two very different classes of items before. I'm currently debating between a Porsche Macan and BMW Z4 right now. What am I looking for? It doesn't matter, I just like those two and want to get one of them. Therefore, I feel for the OP when he just wants to compare two items and see which one people like better, rather than "what it's for".

I'd say go with the Breguet. I like it better.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be fair, I've definitely wanted to compare two different things from two very different classes of items before. I'm currently debating between a Porsche Macan and BMW Z4 right now. What am I looking for? It doesn't matter, I just like those two and want to get one of them. Therefore, I feel for the OP when he just wants to compare two items and see which one people like better, rather than "what it's for".

I couldn’t have said it better myself. However I’ll go further into detail for the comparison of this two pieces.

I already have a classical dress piece in my collection and I rarely have an appropriate occasion to wear it. Most days I’m reaching for something with a rubber strap or a bracelet.

I also find myself getting close to an age where it isn’t uncommon to have a bit of a midlife crisis. Okay, so I’m having a bit of a midlife crisis and for some reason find myself wanting a bit of a ridiculous watch. Something loud and different.

I like the Laureato for its size and the Genta design. I do wish the dial was not as busy. Also the price isn’t terrible. I’ve owned a Laureato before, so I’m comfortable with the size and design.

I find the Marine is the only Breguet I can see myself owning. I actually do like the busy dial, I feel like it’s executed better than the GP. I’ve actually tried this piece on and did like it more than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
88 Posts
Breguet ALL DAY. Although....I would prefer a Bovet Fleurier.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I like the Laureato for its size and the Genta design. I do wish the dial was not as busy. Also the price isn’t terrible. I’ve owned a Laureato before, so I’m comfortable with the size and design.
Genta had no part in the Laureato designs. Maybe you meant to write Genta-inspired design.

·
Premium Member
Lange, Rolex, Jaeger LeCoultre, Blancpain, Breguet
212 Posts

First to address the original post, the Breguet without a doubt. Second to address the above comparison, the Macan. Any Porsche is in a different league then BMW. Keep in mind this is just a response to the two choices. Just my $.02.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts