WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my eyes on a Breguet Type XX Aeronavale. Could somebody kindly clue me in on the cost of a service from Breguet for this watch?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
@Mark355, thanks for posting these, it’s good information to have. I presume that since they are dated 2013 they have likely been revised upwards in subsequent years. I’m guessing that most of the high end brands these days charge four figures when servicing almost any watch (with taxes, shipping and forex included).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks! While the chart doesn't give an amount for the flyback movement in the Type XX, it gives me an idea.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Many thanks! While the chart doesn't give an amount for the flyback movement in the Type XX, it gives me an idea.
Its line item 2. $810. They are all flyback movements in the XX.

·
Registered
877 Posts
manufacturer states that watch needs to be serviced every 3-4 years. This is unlike Rolex for example, which recommends 4-5 years and Omega co-axial movements that have even longer intervals. Just keep that in mind, as costs may add up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Can a local watch shop service the Type XX? The Lemania 1350 is a tried-and-true, well-known movement right? Though it does look like you need a special tool to open the case back...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Can a local watch shop service the Type XX? The Lemania 1350 is a tried-and-true, well-known movement right? Though it does look like you need a special tool to open the case back...
I wouldn't let anyone I didn't trust near my Breguet. A "local watch shop" is a terrible idea. Having said that, a trusted and skilled independent watchmaker is a fantastic person to know and, for example, mine services my Breguets faster, much better, and less expensively than Swatchgroup, but not much less expensively. You get what you pay for and this is a 20k watch which needs skilled care.

Expect around a thousand, plus extra if parts need to be replaced. If you take good care of your watch, then it's common to go for several years past recommended intervals until the next service.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Litle comment speaking about a " local watch shop".

Once I gave to "my" watchmaker a Vacheron Constantin, ultrathin, 1950-60. It start to run to fast. He open it and close with words. "Sorry, this is above my skill and abilities". He is 67, all the life in watches and have done many repairs for me.

Could you want a better watchmaker?

·
Registered
214 Posts
What would prompt one to take the watch in for service in the first place? Preventative maintenance? Or does one just wait until something is "off" about the watch, whether it be inaccurate timekeeping or erratic movements? I don't know, 3-5 years for a relatively basic device seems excessive.

Is this movement less reliable than say a Valjoux 7750? I've seen many Sinn 103s go more than a decade without any kind of service, and they're still running beautifully. Is this not going to be the case for the Breguet? Is Breguet like a Mercedes and BMW where everything starts to break down if one doesn't adhere to the "service schedule".

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Is Breguet like a Mercedes and BMW where everything starts to break down if one doesn't adhere to the "service schedule".

Thanks.
LOL, bad analogy in my opinion. I drive Mercedes and I have never really had any issues. Some people look at it like preventative maintenance but it depends on your take of it. I don't think there is any sort of evidence that would suggest that Breguet XX has a troublesome movement. Maybe not as robust as some but not trouble either and I don't think those prices are crazy compared to other brands.

To me the more you open something up and mess around with it the higher chance of something going wrong. If it is running well and you are having no issues than why service, this is the debate. If you service it 3 times over 15 years at a cost of 1200$ that would be 3400$, now if you use it until something goes wrong and that goes for 15 year and the service is 2500, basic service plus parts you are ahead.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just sent my Type XXI 3810 for a service and was quoted at $810.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts