WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m considering

Breguet XXI 3810
Zenith el Primero Defy 21 (skeleton dial)
Louis Moinet Geograph or Jules Verne III

What’s your pick?

Watches3.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am sorry... your taste in watch design is very very questionable. Those are possibly the three most hideous and gaudy looking timepieces that I've seen. It seems like you want a mesh between a dress watch and a diver. Please just get two separate watches. BTW, I do apologize if I offended you.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I wouldn't chose any of the watches in question. Probably the Breguet is the least bad choise of them but that's probably not a positive recommendation. But it's your watch so it's up to your personal preferences.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I am sorry... your taste in watch design is very very questionable. Those are possibly the three most hideous and gaudy looking timepieces that I've seen. It seems like you want a mesh between a dress watch and a diver. Please just get two separate watches. BTW, I do apologize if I offended you.
Why don't you let people enjoy what they enjoy :) If you have nothing to add, at least be polite about it.

Between the three the most interesting one in technical terms is the Zenith with the ultra high beat chrono and the 6hz movement. If you like the look, I would get one in full ceramic for the added durability. You may also want to check out Hublot's Meca 10 series which IMO is a deeper and more interesting skeletonization look. Also NORD Zeitmaschine for an indie option.

The Breguet's design language is less clear to me, and I don't think that it pulls off a business look any better than the Zenith.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I second that the Zenith with the 10Hz movement is impressive, both in carbon and ceramic. That would be my pick, even thought the 3810 is super neat and a lot more versatile. Try both on, they are fairly easy to find at ADs or online, and see what you think!

For Louis Moinet, I think they have more interesting watches than the ones you fancy. They look like dressier watches but wear like sports watches due to the diameter and thickness, and it's definitely an acquired taste. The 20 second tempograh is more enthralling to me.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
FWIW - I'm no expert on this stuff- my watch advisor tells me that Bovet is unmatched in the realm of skeleton watches. His is, to my eye, baroque yet undeniably beautiful. It's got a lot going on: it's sorta like a pocket watch, but it can be stood on a table or worn on a strap, or like a pendant or like a pocket watch.

He called it his only "case queen." I had no idea what that meant. Turns out it's a watch a collector buys b/c it fits w/his vision for the collection he's curating, but that he has no intention of wearing.

I had to laugh at such a notion. But then not being a collector, I would, b/c as a buyer, the whole point of having a watch is to use it. Even art collectors & museums use their collected pieces.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Despite being a Breguet fan, the Defy EP21 is the clear winner here for me - provided you can handle the size (unfortunately a touch too big for my c. 6.75" flatish wrist - although in the pictures below it doesn't look too shocking). The XXI, although it sits higher wears slightly better in that regard, ultimately I went Type XX though. Louis Moinet I can't comment on, haven't handled them in person and don't particularly have any interest in doing so. Best of luck!

IMG_20190113_144449.jpg
IMG_20190113_144746.jpg
IMG_20190113_144753.jpg

·
Registered
858 Posts
Had to try this new LM on for size when offered. Not really my cup of tea, an aquired taste for sure, and a real beauty, I was floored by it. Titanium, 109 grams. 45mm but with its stepped case design it looked and felt smaller, light but substantial. Happy Hunting!!.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I wouldn't be able to carry any of them since they are pretty large and chronos aren't my thing, so caveat emptor.

But, reading up on them, the Defy is the one that attracted me most. The technical achievements are impressive and I've always liked the historical commitment to innovation in the Defy collection.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This comment is purely for entertainment. Here are my real opinions on these three pieces.

1. Breguet XXI 3810
Looks like a rolex explorer ii had a threesome with omega speedmaster and cartier pasha chrono.

2. zenith defy 21
I like zenith. In fact I own one. But if I had to imagine how a Chronoswiss Opus looks like after it gets manhandled by Hublot aero bang, this would be it.

3.louis monet
out of the three, this looks the most normal but Louis who? (I know this dude made the 1st chrono, chill) I think Louis CK has more fandom than this brand. I like the sunburst dial and it seems to be a thing these days. VC, Rolex and Zenith are all pushing for this design. But to offset the elegance of sunburst dial with screw design on the bezel is quite questionable. All in all, I am not a big fan of inde brands.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would personally go for the newer Breguet Type XXII with the exhibition case back. Even though the El Preimero is leaps and bounds a much better movement. Especially with 1/100th of a second complication. It's just that it's made from Titanium and has a open worked dial. Those two things definetly put me off about the Zenith. I tried it on at the AD a while back it was so light it felt like I was wearing a plastic watch. As far as the Louis Monet goes. I've never seen one in person but the pushers, hands, dial and bezel look horrid in my personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Hideous, awful & immature

And I’m not talking about the watches.

Reactions: usmc_k9_vet

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My pick is the Louis Moinet.... it’s a marvel to look at in person.

Has allot of detail to the case and dial.

Reactions: Split sec

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I think the Breguet offers the best balance of styling, quality materials, and movement.

The Louis Moinet probably has the nicest dial, case, strap, and overall material quality and detailing. It just a irks me that they plop in a Valjoux equivalent movement. Sure they’re accurate and durable, but they just don’t feel high end in my book. If I’m going to spend, I want something nicer than a Valjoux. I’d keep those for a sub $2k beater chronograph.

I’m a huge Zenith fan and usually support them. But I personally haven’t clicked with the Defy 21. Some aspects of the technology are interesting, but actually in many ways the regular El Primero is a greater technological achievement. The chrono function on the 21 is totally independent from the regular drive train. Unlike the original EP it doesn’t mesh with the main drive train for the time. It’s basically two movements on one plate: a 36k vph three hand watch and an ultra high beat chronograph activated by a little foot coming in contact with the second balance wheel for the start/stop. There’s no column wheel or cam to my knowledge. It’s the same type of mechanism used for hacking on a regular movement or on certain old school stopwatches from the pre-quartz era.

Other things I personally don’t like so much about it are its size, flat crystal, and quirks associated with the chrono reset button. Many owners on the Zenith forum have reported that one has to push the reset button all the way in forcefully to push the central hand all the way back to zero rather than it snapping back by itself on the force of a spring. I recommend that you look it up on the Zenith subforum. It affects some models but not all. Zenith calls it a feature rather than a problem. Last chrono that did that to me (not a Zenith) I parted ways with.

You might want to look at some of the Zenith El Primero skeleton based models, the Striking Tenth, Ultra Light, Defy Elite skeleton or Defy Inventor instead of the Defy 21.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I owned the same Louis Monet... It is a beautiful piece but for me the size of the sub dials or the numerals were just too small for the size of the dial and I did sell it. I have considered that same Zenith but my wrist is 6.5 in. BTW in the 6.75 in photo-- seems to fit well. .The Zenith chronograph is very unique as the large seconds hand rotates the dial every second. Not a big fan of that Breuget. My 2c.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts