1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have a look to this picture !
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4308/img2050kf6.jpg

I must admit, I was a little bit disappointed when I saw these, and they were all over !! I thought Breitling wouldn't resort to this kind advertisements, just as you wouldn't see any with Bentley or Rolls Royce.. I appreciate, of course, if in a well-known aviation magazine, it will appear on the inside cover.

Do they experience a decrease in selling? Did they change their market strategy?
What's your opinion about this?

P.S. I let you guess where was the picture taken (too easy :)), after that, perhaps it's understandable, I didn't see the same in another city.

·
Registered
238 Posts
One of the most beautiful streets in the world is a great place to advertise. LV should be right down the street. Why not Breitling?

Lacoste had an ad of a womens perfume on the Champs a couple of years ago. I tried to get the tennis outfit she was in for my wife but it was a one-off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the most beautiful streets in the world is a great place to advertise. LV should be right down the street. Why not Breitling?
This brand is an exclusive one, it normally doesn't need publicity. Adverts are not only on Champs, but on all big boulevards in Paris, THIS is what is surprising for me. Though, I agree with you, it's nice to see them there.
Of course, we can extend, saying Paris is one of the most beautiful and romantic cities in the world :-!
It's just a surprise, I haven't seen this before, so something has certainly changed in Breitling approach.

Maybe their market in France is not the greatest one and they want to increase their selling, so they may look "aggressive" for the ones that already know the brand and their market strategy.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm ok with the Breitling street advertising, no problem at all......although I will buy the watches from Breitling that aren't appearing in the ads....:-D

hope they won't make an ad with all their models :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Advertising? Yes? No? Maybe?

I think its great to see these adverts, though I do agree that too much adverts (like some brands I wont mention) could arguably cheapen the brand altogether. Yet, specific tasteful adverts strategically placed are a good thing. Not just for informing the right kind of people to the brand, but to make other people that own Breitlings (particularly ones that are being advertised) feel good about their purchase.

...and what do you guys feel about the so-called ambassadors of some watch brands? Good idea, or do you think that to be far worse than Breitling's new Paris strategy? Perhaps getting celebrities to endorse their products to be far worse crime? :think:

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,946 Posts
Re: Advertising? Yes? No? Maybe?

Heck, the Sydney to Hobart Rol*x ocean yacht race starts on Boxing Day with the logo and images plastered all over the place. A little street advertising isn't over the top in my book. Looks very cool :p . Sort of want one for a wall poster.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Advertising? Yes? No? Maybe?

Heck, the Sydney to Hobart Rol*x ocean yacht race starts on Boxing Day with the logo and images plastered all over the place. A little street advertising isn't over the top in my book. Looks very cool :p . Sort of want one for a wall poster.
Well, SnapIT, that is different in my view, this is a special event, while these ads are standing along with other "cheap" things, and this combo is not for my taste. And there are too many. I think it would be better to have just a couple of well-placed ads, in some well-chosen places.

You know, I think what's bothering me, that they seem to get too commercial, leaving that exclusive, a little bit "arrogant" (but good) style.

P.S. I've seen ads also with Chronomat's and Chronomatic's (in rose gold).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Breitling advertisements in soccer stadiums

Here in The Netherlands they have those electronics billboards surrounding the soccer (real football :) ) field , and once in awhile you see the yellow boards with the black font saying ...

.....breitling.....breitling.....breitling.....breitling.....breitling.....breitling..
....breitling.....breitling.....breitling.....breitling.....breitling.....breitling..
...breitling.....breitling.....breitling.....breitling.....breitling.....breitling

all around the football field ... purty cool actualy

-Rene

·
Registered
340 Posts
The ads are meant to boost up sales and Breitling needs that now more than ever to be able to cope with the future problem of the eta ebauches that will stop coming from the swatch group. The entry price of Breitlings it's not that high to make them a really exclusiv item to get. So i think the ads are more for increasing sales in the entry range. The more expensive models won't see a very spectacular increase in sales due to more ads on the street, because who has money and is into watches doesn't need those ads. You can't blame a brand that is trying to sell more...put yourself in their place...Today every brand is into agressive advertising more or less...There are many examples of companies hit by bankruptcy just because they tried to maintain an exclusiv appearance, without publicity and ads (rolls royce, bentley, lambourghini, bugatti). Since Breitling it's not that exclusive in the first place I don't see what's wrong with street ads.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
A scenario:

You're walking down the road with an acquaintence (perhaps a female one, in Paris perhaps) and they spot a Breitling ad.

'Ooh that's a nice watch, I've not heard of Breitling before though.'

You: 'Actually, it's pronounced Breitling, and it's a brand with quite a heritage actually.' (Add extra detail from your favourite Altro article to suit mood)

'Really? That sounds cool. How do you know that?'

You pull back your cuff to reveal your pride and joy and add

'Actually they make some really cool ladies' watches as well you know . . . ' (Add a winning smile and wink to taste)

'You can buy me one tomorrow, we have to get back to the hotel quick!'

Well, it COULD happen.

Perhaps.;-)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi,

Have a look to this picture !
heheh tiny beside the one I posted a while back :) I think the thread was 'now everyone will want one' heheheh. never mind a poster with one of these you could wallpaper a small room..

·
Registered
529 Posts
Actually there have been Navitimer, Evolution and Emergency adverts in Mens Health this past year too!

·
Registered
340 Posts
A scenario:

You're walking down the road with an acquaintence (perhaps a female one, in Paris perhaps) and they spot a Breitling ad.

'Ooh that's a nice watch, I've not heard of Breitling before though.'

You: 'Actually, it's pronounced Breitling, and it's a brand with quite a heritage actually.' (Add extra detail from your favourite Altro article to suit mood)

'Really? That sounds cool. How do you know that?'

You pull back your cuff to reveal your pride and joy and add

'Actually they make some really cool ladies' watches as well you know . . . ' (Add a winning smile and wink to taste)

'You can buy me one tomorrow, we have to get back to the hotel quick!'

Well, it COULD happen.

Perhaps.;-)
yes could happen or:

'Ooh that's a nice watch, I've not heard of Breitling before though. I want one NOW!':gold

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't noticed the big posters or billboards here in the US. But, I have noticed a spike in newspaper ads from ADs that carry Breitling...For example, there would be an ad for the Navitimer Chronomatic, the Flying B -- Instruments for Professionals, and the ADs contact info. One day, I counted three different ADs in all with variations of this description! Maybe it's Breitling's new marketing technique to increase the brand's visibility.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi .....In Hobbes' post what model is that chrono in 2 tone rose gold please. Thanks

a link in your post would make it easier (WITHOUT seeing it i think it's a 2tone Chronomat Evolution)

·
Registered
475 Posts
In regards to the question of the 2 tone rose Gold watch in Hobbes' post it is indeed a chrono/evo. ( found it on the "B" website) good catch Botundi. :-! Thanks for your input and Hobbes thanks for the photo. Think I spotted my next Breitling... Santa I hope you read our posts.. Merry Christmas to all!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts