WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am interested in buying my first upper end watch (ie, something not bought from Wal Mart). I like the look of many of the Breitling models. Is Breitling overall a good choice as a first upper end watch? What model would you recommend for a watch newcomer. I would say my upper limit of budget would be around $4k. Any general input or guidance would be appreciated. It looks like the Colt model may be their least expensive, but I am not really sure I like it, and not sure I want a battery powered quartz movement. I would love input from Breitling owners.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You've come to a good place if you're looking for people to tell you Breitling is good. Most people here are fans! At that range you can get one of the new SuperOceans, which are automatics. If you can find a Steelfish left in an AD, I'd go for that one. Its a classic. You'll need to recognise that buying a new watch is like buying a new car. You get that lovely experience of taking it home but you also take a massive value hit. You can get a pretty fantastic Breitling for $4k on the second hand market if you do your homework.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I'd go for a SuperOcean of some sort - the older, now discontinued, version can be found if you look hard enough.
If that fails, take a look on the second hand market - there are plenty of bargains to be had!

cheers,
Jake.

PS- Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Split Second

·
Registered
224 Posts
Absolutely. I own a couple of Brietlings to include a previous generation SuperOcean (a gift from my wife). I love it. Looking for a second one, as a matter of fact. Looks great in business attire or blue jeans.

I'd go for a SuperOcean of some sort - the older, now discontinued, version can be found if you look hard enough.
If that fails, take a look on the second hand market - there are plenty of bargains to be had!

cheers,
Jake.

PS- Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a used Navitimer and a vintage 809 that both came within your $4k budget, you cant go wrong with these classics! let us know what you end up with...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is another question....

Will a Breitling automatic mechanical movement be as accurate as a quartz movement?

·
Registered
388 Posts
No. No automatic movement can compete with quartz. So to help you see the difference, the COSC requirements (for a watch to be called a Chronometer) for an automatic are -4 to +6 seconds per day of variation. For a quartz watch the variation is o +/- 0.07 sec./day! But you don't really buy an auto for its uber- accuracy. You buy it because of the craftsmanship and romance. Having said that, -4 to +6 seconds per days is pretty good! My watches are usually out by around 15 seconds per week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts